Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2022, 06:52 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not a matter of reading comprehension, it's that what you said doesn't make sense.
Generally people who have a fear of heights don't think to themselves, 'hey I wish I could do that activity but I'm too afraid', instead they have no desire to do the activity because they know they won't enjoy it.
I have a fear of heights and I have never, not once, thought to myself that I wished I could bungee jump, skydive or whatever, it simply holds no interest. I mean should I feel sorry for all the people who don't share a like interest in the tamer activities I do enjoy?
I don't think blame is being put on the kid, but there are an awful lot of people jumping on the idea that it's a fact that the operators bear most of the responsibility, and we simply don't know that.
Until we know differently my guess (which is all anyone can do at this point) is that the designers and the OWNERS, who are responsible for training and overseeing those operators, likely bear the most responsibility. I also feel that unless there is some way to prove the operators had adequate training and blatantly ignored it, it's going to be difficult to ascertain how much blame they bear.

Not trying to argue with you. I had brought over an article that said deaths like this are usually the cause of the operator. The same happened with the 6 year old Colorado girl because neither employee actually checked everyones belt when the alarms were going off. They chose to bypass that alarm to send the ride down, she fell out and went splat, then I believe the ride came down on her and crushed her. The only reason neither employee got charged was because they did not know which one was responsible to check her belt. The findings were operator error/ negligence.

You're right, we don't know how long these 2 employees were trained for and by who. I brought over an article that did state the manufacturer personally trained employees from December until some time in February but I don't know if either employee was trained by them. Both employees chose not to go to him to check his harness when he was asking for help, they started the ride instead. That is on video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Yes it is. You do realize there are people who want to do things but can't because of their fear of heights don't you? That's who I feel bad for.

Some of us get what you're saying. Not everyone that has a fear of heights doesn't ever wish they could actually do something like get out on one of those glass floors attached to a mountain to look down to see the view below their feet. I'm deathly afraid of heights but do wish I could get out there to see it myself in person but it will never happen lol

Last edited by Roselvr; 04-16-2022 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 07:10 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Some of us get what you're saying. Not everyone that has a fear of heights doesn't ever wish they could actually do something like get out on one of those glass floors attached to a mountain to look down to see the view below their feet. I'm deathly afraid of heights but do wish I could get out there to see it myself in person but it will never happen lol
Thanks for posting that. I have a few people in my life that say they wish they could do the stuff I do but can't because of their fear of heights. The most recent being my kite boarding. Just yesterday a relative said I was "nuts" because he had seen how high my kite takes me. Funny because he loves amusement parks and will go on any ride.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. I have a few people in my life that say they wish they could do the stuff I do but can't because of their fear of heights. The most recent being my kite boarding. Just yesterday a relative said I was "nuts" because he had seen how high my kite takes me. Funny because he loves amusement parks and will go on any ride.

Yeah, that looks so cool but so not for me lol

My hub used to skydive at the airport up the street from us, we didn't live here yet. He sky dived in the army. He could never get over his fear when he jumped even though he loved doing it. He was licensed to go himself, went to Texas and Arizona to sky dive back in the 2000's

He had an accident where someone bumped into him when doing one of those tricks where they all jump and come together, another time his chute got tangled, he almost didn't get the reserve up in time. The chute was first with the idiot crashing him second, he stopped before third strike he was out.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:35 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Yeah, that looks so cool but so not for me lol

My hub used to skydive at the airport up the street from us, we didn't live here yet. He sky dived in the army. He could never get over his fear when he jumped even though he loved doing it. He was licensed to go himself, went to Texas and Arizona to sky dive back in the 2000's

He had an accident where someone bumped into him when doing one of those tricks where they all jump and come together, another time his chute got tangled, he almost didn't get the reserve up in time. The chute was first with the idiot crashing him second, he stopped before third strike he was out.
I get it. That same relative broke his foot on a jump in the Army. I think that's why he now has that fear even though he will ride any amusement ride. I haven't sky dived from a plane alone, only tandem, but I have repelled from a helicopter by myself. I always try to be careful but I love the thrill of the stuff I do. I have been that way my whole life.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I get it. That same relative broke his foot on a jump in the Army. I think that's why he now has that fear even though he will ride any amusement ride. I haven't sky dived from a plane alone, only tandem, but I have repelled from one by myself. I always try to be careful but I love the thrill of the stuff I do. I have been that way my whole life.

It's funny because I love amusement rides too but can't do them any more now that I'm this age, or I don't think I could. It's been years. I have a bad back, think I'd do more damage if I did go on one.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:06 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Sensors were adjusted manually on ride where teen fell.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:43 PM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I hate to know that I was right in situations such as this... But... Considering the manufacturer's safety track record across the world, I had a feeling that this was entirely (or 90%) on the owners and operators of the ride... Very sad. The ride was not designed to be operated in this manner.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:45 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I hate to know that I was right in situations such as this... But... Considering the manufacturer's safety track record across the world, I had a feeling that this was entirely (or 90%) on the owners and operators of the ride... Very sad. The ride was not designed to be operated in this manner.
Yup "(ride) Operator error is suspected as the primary cause in the death of a 14-year-old boy who slipped out of his seat on a drop-tower ride at a Florida amusement park

How? ---"allow the harness restraint opening to be loosened....""....the harness restraint opening was "almost double that of a normal restraint opening range."

Old 04-18-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

As of now, Orlando FreeFall would remain closed "indefinitely". Link 2 states Tyre was in town with another family from St. Louis, Missouri.

Also according to the 2nd article, they're investigating whether he was physically too large and too tall, plus the weight limit.

You can read the report at link 2 below, it confirms that manual adjustments were made to the sensor for the seat in question that allowed the harness' restraint opening to be almost double that of the normal restraints opening range, I've read it was open about 7 inches which is what I guessed it to be pages ago. I don't know how his body managed to slide through a 7 inch opening because his chest and belly area were bigger than 12 inches. I've said it before, it had to have been painful being sucked out. I would not be surprised to hear his spine fractured before he hit the ground. I wonder if they'll release the autopsy report?

It will be interesting to see who made these adjustments and if these employees will get charged too or is that on the manufacturer who supposedly did something to a few seats before he left in February?

Your article is below, the 2nd link has a lot more information plus the report.

Sensors were adjusted on ride where teen fell to death

Quote:
Sensors on a Florida amusement park ride had been adjusted manually to double the size of the opening for restraints on two seats, resulting in a 14-year-old boy not being properly secured before he slipped out and fell to his death, according to an initial report released Monday by outside engineers.

An inspection of the seats showed that sensors used to activate safety lights on the two seats, indicating the harness safety restraints were in place, had been adjusted to allow for the wider openings, the report said.

“The cause of the subject accident was that Tyre Sampson was not properly secured in the seat primarily due to mis-adjustment of the harness proximity sensors,”

Orlando FreeFall ride death: Operator made 'manual adjustments' to Tyre Sampson's seat, report says

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. - The forensic investigation into how 14-year-old Tyre Sampson fell to his death from the Orlando FreeFall drop tower ride at ICON Park concluded that one of the ride's harness sensors had been manually adjusted, falsely providing a safety OK, when Sampson was, in fact, not properly secured, according to the report's findings.

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried said that findings by Quest Engineering, a forensics company hired by the state, determined that the operator of Orlando FreeFall made manual adjustments to the ride's harness proximity sensor "resulting in it being unsafe."

According to the report, the harness proximity sensor on seat 1 (seat Sampson was in) "was manually loosened, adjusted, and tightened to allow a restraint opening of near 7 inches." Normal range is near three inches, the report said.

Seat 2 was also adjusted, the report said. The other seats appeared to be within their normal range, according to the report.

When the magnets engaged to slow the ride as it was in freefall, Sampson slipped between the harness and the seat, "which may have expanded several inches due to inherent seat and harness compliance," the report said.

It also stated that there were other contributing factors, but did not elaborate.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:40 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times
So the inspections before opening don't check that the rides are operating per specs? Like restraints being set correctly? Isn't that what inspectors should do? Do inspections actually test the rides, and check every part of it? or do they just look at it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events