Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 07:43 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

Ridiculous! But lawyers gonna lawyer. That kid would have been been lucky to make it to college at all - a lot of young men don't today - much less to make it there without first developing health problems from obesity which would cut short any pro sports career. We've all known kids (or, more accurately, parents) who've dreamed of a making the big time one day. How many actually made it? It'd also be ridiculous to erect a monument in an amusement park or dismantle a ride that's perfectly safe, judging by its track record, when run properly with size limitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 10:58 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Lawyers in my part of Jersey are bad, I got a ticket that cost about $25, no license points, it was more of a joke... I can't count how many mailings I got from attorneys to fight the ticket. It was crazy!

At 14 the recruiters were for college football, even now it's early for that.

Way too early to think about the NFL. So much can happen between now and playing college football. A friend of my brother in law has a brother that went from his NJ high school to playing for Kansas College. He had head hunters, actually made it playing for the Rams but his football career was cut very short by an injury. He then acted in a few 80's movies but that didn't go far either. He ended up dying young.

He was a big guy like this kid. Sometimes, the bigger they are the faster they fall.

Thanks for the input, that percent doesn't surprise me. You figure the NFL teams only have so many vacancies to fill, especially these days with so many of them retiring when they're older.

Thanks for confirming how hard it is.

While it's only one factor, his (potential) NFL career was mentioned very early; IIRC by his parents before they hired attorneys. It was then mentioned again.

I'll be surprised if they don't try to use it to try to get more money, saying that he would have made millions per year playing for an NFL team.

I wonder if the public will be able to follow the lawsuit until it's finished. My guess is they will settle quietly.
I hope they get every cent this company has. If it were my child, I would be driven by pure anger and want to bleed them dry. I don't fault these parents for whatever they ask for.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Ridiculous! But lawyers gonna lawyer. That kid would have been been lucky to make it to college at all - a lot of young men don't today - much less to make it there without first developing health problems from obesity which would cut short any pro sports career. We've all known kids (or, more accurately, parents) who've dreamed of a making the big time one day. How many actually made it? It'd also be ridiculous to erect a monument in an amusement park or dismantle a ride that's perfectly safe, judging by its track record, when run properly with size limitations.
He was also an Honor student, so I think he'd have made it to college with or without football.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I hope they get every cent this company has. If it were my child, I would be driven by pure anger and want to bleed them dry. I don't fault these parents for whatever they ask for.
Well, that would be irrational - but that's how most people operate.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:31 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
An update on the 14 year old. He was 383 lbs. The max weight for the ride is 287 lbs

What was in the manual for the ride operators....did being PC lead to that poor kid's death ?
He was Black and he was fat....two "no-no's" in this society to address.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/13/tyre-s...bs-over-limit/
“Be careful when seeing if large guests fit into the seats,” a manual for the attraction states. “Check that they fit within the contours of the seat and the bracket fits properly. If this is not so — Do not let this person ride.”
HIs friends told investigators that he had been turned away from other rides the day of his death because of his size.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:35 PM

So some teenager working a few hours for minimum wage was supposed to judge whether or not this person "fit within the contours of the seat"? There was a light to indicate "go" or "no go," and that light indicated "go," as I understand things...

Old 06-14-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
So some teenager working a few hours for minimum wage was supposed to judge whether or not this person "fit within the contours of the seat"? There was a light to indicate "go" or "no go," and that light indicated "go," as I understand things...
The seat restraint was adjusted for him so the ride would run, resulting in a gap in the restraint that was just wide enough that gravitational forces pushed him through and he slipped out from under the restraint.

All the ride owners had to do was post the weight restrictions that are in the operations manual. If he had been informed at the ride entrance that he was 40 pounds heavier than the max weight he probably would never have tried to go on.

It does seem like it was up to individual judgement. The two rides he tried to go on before this one had operators that told him he was too large to ride them safely.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:09 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Sounds like it's going to be some legal mess.......

That poor kid.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:28 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

All the ride owners had to do was post the weight restrictions that are in the operations manual. If he had been informed at the ride entrance that he was
40 pounds heavier than the max weight
he probably would never have tried to go on.

Not 40 lbs. heavier! He was close to 100 lbs heavier than the max weight.
He weighed 383. Max weight is 287. Take 383 minus 287 and it equals 96 lbs over.

Those numbers came from the link above.
Quote:
The autopsy of a teen who died after plunging from an Orlando amusement park ride revealed the horrific extent of his injuries and that he was 96 pounds over the ride’s weight limit.
https://nypost.com/2022/06/13/tyre-s...bs-over-limit/

Old 06-14-2022, 08:25 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Yes, or the company should have gotten an older more experienced employee to do this job. Of course, that would probably have cost them more money.

Either way, the company is responsible legally when its employee makes a careless decision. It was careless to seat a passenger who was 100 pounds over the acceptable weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events