Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 01:14 PM

381 posts, read 172,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I live on the West Coast, I am also old and retired. I'm not here for point/counterpoint. No American employer (not even yours if you have one) is paying close to what they should actually be paying. If Applebees is paying $20/hr x 35+hr/wk. then I will consider their workers 'fairly' paid. Are they doing that?
https://www.wtol.com/article/news/lo...1-b61af44c35f8

Quote: "After the tough year food businesses have weathered during the COVID-19 pandemic, the owner of Heavenly Pizza in Findlay wanted to show his workers his gratitude. Josh Elchert gave the entire day of sales on Monday back to his employees.

On a typical Monday, they do about 100 orders. This week, they did 220 orders, which translated to over $6,000 in sales and over $1,000 in tips, all of which went back to the employees. Each worker made about $78 an hour for that shift. " End Quote

$78 dollars an hour !!! Just goes to show how underpaid that average worker is in this country.

Min. wage not raised since 2009, stopped tying MW to inflation in 1968. Bottom Line: people are severely underpaid in todays society, even those "low-skilled, poors"

Nobody is asking for Applebees to pay $78/hour but if you think people in the service sector shouldn't be making more you're both cruel and misinformed.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,796,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What you’re missing though is it that it’s not workers complaining, it’s restaurants complaining that they can’t find enough help.
Yeah, this was one of the major points of the post. It's weird how the same people who've been raging against any sort of raise in the minimum wage for years, saying "let the market decide" are now obviously raging against the workers for leveraging better pay now that they're in a position to do so.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-04-2022 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
As a small business owner, believe me I understand what you're saying. I really do.

The problem is it is regulations that have given everyone a 5 days, 40 hours work week. It's regulations that have outlawed child labor. It's regulations that have given always protected the weak from the powerful.

You like to blame the regulations for people having to get multiple part-time jobs. What about the businesses who did everything they could to exploit every loophole they could find in the laws? How come people like you never ask about the businesses side of things?

Look, capitalism is all about survival of the fittest, yes? I run a renovations business and I pay my tradesmen fairly to renovate houses. My profit margins aren't so razor thin that I would go out of business if (god forbids) I lost a $20 bill somewhere. Heck, my profit margins are such that I am able to give everyone a quarterly bonus.

Walmart, a business that pulls in thousands of times more profits than my small-ass business, can afford to give their executives millions of dollars in bonuses but can't afford to pay their workers enough to stay away from getting food stamps?

I get making profits. I really do. But at some point we gotta step back and look at how greed has been chipping away living quality for the common workers.

Of course, no regulation is perfect. There are always loopholes. But just because someone can find loopholes in a law doesn't mean we shouldn't have the law to begin with. Do you argue that we shouldn't have law against murder because someone might get away with murder because of a technicality?
As another small/medium business owner, I agree with this. It's amazing that some of these posters think that running a business hinges on nickel and diming the employees to pieces; I doubt that those who think that way have ever actually run a business.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:51 PM

20,175 posts, read 9,073,720 times
47 million people quit their jobs in 2021. Well it's time to get back to work. If you're unskilled, this past year has been a great opportunity to fix that. Hope you did, otherwise it's going to be some tough sledding.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:09 PM

381 posts, read 172,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
47 million people quit their jobs in 2021. Well it's time to get back to work. If you're unskilled, this past year has been a great opportunity to fix that. Hope you did, otherwise it's going to be some tough sledding.
yes, bootstrap time for all the "poors", after we gave 6 TRILLION dollars to the richest people and companies, including any small business for "paycheck protection"

and then they go and layoff thousands like in the airline industries and bailout cruise liners that don't fly the american't flag for tax purposes but can get a handout from Uncle Sam when they want it.

Here's $150,000 thousand for your small business, just fill out this literal one-page document saying you used the money correctly, --- FREE Money for business.

3.1 Trillion for "short-term" lending on wall street was the first thing they did (before the cares act) , that's over $12,000 for every American over the age of 18

9 billion to fix the water in Flint, still not done, but they took 3 days to find 13.4 Billion for Ukraine in addition to what they spent since 2014.

You live in a Failed State.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:11 PM

6,824 posts, read 4,278,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, this was one of the major points of the post. It's weird how the same people who've been raging against any sort of raise in the minimum wage for years, saying "let the market decide" are now obviously raging against the workers for leveraging better pay now that they're in a position to do so.

I don't think anyone has a problem with people finding better jobs. Well, maybe some do, but I think a lot of the complaints were that these lower end jobs were competing vs a range of federal policies that essentially changed the playing field in favor of 'stay at home and collect dole money' vs 'go out and get low end job'.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:20 PM

7,927 posts, read 3,892,105 times
I recently ran across these guys - "Bite Ninja." https://biteninja.com/. They are a cloud-based restaurant labor broker; they help solve the fast-food/self-serve restaurant labor problem.

Quote:
Bite Ninja equips restaurants with remote order takers to solve the industry’s biggest customer-service challenges.
When a customer pulls into the drive-through or walks up to the counter, they will be immediately greeted by a friendly and knowledgeable "Bite Ninja" employee who is off-site. All Bite Ninja employees are equipped with cameras, microphones, headphones etc.

The customer orders, the Bite Ninja (who works-from-home, possibly in another state) takes the order, eliminating order takers from the fast-food location.

It sounds like a win-win-win. Fast food restaurant owners who struggle to hire competent employees have access to a large pool of labor, and can arrange shifts that are convenient for both. Remote workers can work as much or as little as they like, on pre-arranged shifts. They can even backfill for employees who just don't show up for their shifts for whatever reason. Local employees who resent working for minimum wage taking orders in a fast food restaurant can switch to other exciting careers - or if they prefer, just stay at home in mom's basement.

Quote:
A BETTER WAY TO TAKE ORDERS
On the phone, over the counter, or in the drive-through, Bite Ninja helps restaurant owners solve staffing problems, lower costs, and improve customer experience with each and every order.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:24 PM

7,927 posts, read 3,892,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where is the data behind the graph? Without the data I requested answers from you for, the graph is meaningless. Why are you so avoidant of actually posting the entire link that you got the graph from? I can't help but feel you simply made your own graph and purported it to reflect quality of workers.
Let's start with the basics. Do you agree that there exists in the USA a set of employees who are in the bottom 5% of quality of all people who participate in the labor force? Or, do you assert that no one is in the bottom 5% of quality of the US Labor Force?

Old 04-04-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with people finding better jobs. Well, maybe some do, but I think a lot of the complaints were that these lower end jobs were competing vs a range of federal policies that essentially changed the playing field in favor of 'stay at home and collect dole money' vs 'go out and get low end job'.
The "dole money" ended quite some time ago, and many of these jobs are still going unfilled.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
yes, bootstrap time for all the "poors", after we gave 6 TRILLION dollars to the richest people and companies, including any small business for "paycheck protection"

and then they go and layoff thousands like in the airline industries and bailout cruise liners that don't fly the american't flag for tax purposes but can get a handout from Uncle Sam when they want it.

Here's $150,000 thousand for your small business, just fill out this literal one-page document saying you used the money correctly, --- FREE Money for business.

3.1 Trillion for "short-term" lending on wall street was the first thing they did (before the cares act) , that's over $12,000 for every American over the age of 18

9 billion to fix the water in Flint, still not done, but they took 3 days to find 13.4 Billion for Ukraine in addition to what they spent since 2014.

You live in a Failed State.
Just so you know, a lot of small businesses got left out in the cold because the large corporations were swarming all over that money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events