Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 01:30 PM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
But I missed "your point"? LOL. And what exactly would that be?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Did you even read your own linked article????

Only 4% of employer businesses who applied got denied.

You assume owning a business is some sort of trophy of sorts? What makes you think I (and countless others here) do not, or have not owned businesses?

I Co-owned a business with my ex-wife (she still owns and operates it.) Got ours very easily.
Same with my friends who applied.

And all of this information is public record: federalpay.org
A nationwide Federal Reserve survey of businesses with fewer than 500 employees found 20% of nonemployer businesses received none of the PPP funding they sought. Nonemployer businesses, which have no employees other than the owner, make up 81% of all small businesses in the U.S., according to the survey released in August. It also found that 4% of businesses that have at least one employee other than the owner received none of the PPP funding they sought.

So 96% of employer businesses received the loan they applied for.

https://www.fedsmallbusiness.org/med...r-firms-report

Quit BSing around...
Sigh. I wish the engineer bro show would take it on the road or outside instead of stalking this thread night and day.

Anyway, the four percent figure doesn't account for those whose applications were pending when the program ran out of money and loans stopped being approved. That was pretty much my point.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:38 PM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Some posters here just don't understand the old adage of getting what you pay for.
Other posters here just don't understand paying for what you get.

If you pay an $8-per-hour-quality employee $20 per hour, you don't get $20 per hour quality. You still get an $8-per-hour-quality job done by someone you're overpaying.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:45 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sigh. I wish the engineer bro show would take it on the road or outside instead of stalking this thread night and day.

Anyway, the four percent figure doesn't account for those whose applications were pending when the program ran out of money and loans stopped being approved. That was pretty much my point.
Where are you getting this?

This doesn't line up with the study referenced in your link, which appears to include these businesses as well.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 04-05-2022 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-05-2022, 01:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Where are you getting this?

This doesn't line up with the study referenced in your link, which appears to include these businesses as well.
I think they're talking about loans that were processed before the program ran out of money. And I think there were issues at the lender level that weren't calculated in, either.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:35 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Can't believe anyone eats at Applebees.
Someone gave us a gift card and we re-gifted it.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:52 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post

The CEO is directly liable for anything to do with the company. If there's a privacy violation... e.g. Walmart gets hacked, and they can determine to even the most minuscule amount that the CEO could have changed this by implementing something or putting more money in the IT department, then the CEO is now liable, and will be directly fined. If there's any scandal that goes on in the company, the CEO is ultimately directly responsible for that risk, and can even face jail time.

I know most will look at this and say... "boo hoo... poor CEO." Honestly, I don't really care about the CEO, but I make this point to emphasize the fact that the people complaining about the CEO have very short-sighted goals.

Most people on here would assume to make that quick "million" (or whatever) and then life a life of luxury. Many people have no concept of ambition or wanting to do something big... they just look at life as unfair and make assumptions as to whether or not they can ever "escape" their place in life.

The CEO position requires significantly more skill than someone who's working the floor. Furthermore, the CEO of a company is usually a part-owner of the company. Many times, the CEO was a member of the board of directors, and then becomes the CEO because the other board members promote him/her for a point in time.
If CEO were actually held accountable, you would have a point. High risk high reward type of thing. But they are not held accountable. Make bad decisions? Government bails you out. Allow one of the largest data breeches? Get a bonus. Remember the Equifax data breach? CEO walked away with 20 million in stock bonuses and a 24 million pension.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:22 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Other posters here just don't understand paying for what you get.

If you pay an $8-per-hour-quality employee $20 per hour, you don't get $20 per hour quality. You still get an $8-per-hour-quality job done by someone you're overpaying.
Higher pay for employees leads to better customer service, that's been researched and established.

Hard to say what's to be the expected difference in "quality" from an $8 vs. $20 an hour employee in the food service industry, since there aren't many facets to the job. Most employers would probably be satisfied with dependability and punctuality.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:42 AM

381 posts, read 171,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's a lot of room between the dude flipping burgers or clearing tables at Applebee's and the CEO level. I imagine most folks in this forum still in active employment are somewhere in that middle.

There's a certain built-in logic in the marketplace that makes salaries correspond to each other as companies compete for employees and employees pick jobs. In other words, if you pay the busboy 20$ an hour, you gotta pay the assistant manager more to entice folks to get that job, then you gotta pay the manager more, other jobs recruiting from the same employee pool need to pay more as well etc.

Inflation and increased COL ends up negating a large chunk of that supposed pay increase for everyone involved. So everyone ends up the same as where they started? Not quite. Folks on fixed pensions and benefits actually end up worse. Middle-class savings slowly but surely evaporate.
https://creativeconflictwisdom.wordp...er-by-country/

Old 04-06-2022, 11:00 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
If CEO were actually held accountable, you would have a point. High risk high reward type of thing. But they are not held accountable. Make bad decisions? Government bails you out. Allow one of the largest data breeches? Get a bonus. Remember the Equifax data breach? CEO walked away with 20 million in stock bonuses and a 24 million pension.
As did the Wells Fargo Exec who presided over the biggest scandal in the bank's history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events