Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2022, 09:25 AM

8,112 posts, read 4,014,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have no idea what you’re talking about.
I agree.

Quote:
You posted a graph that purported to show the decline in quality of workers.
You misinterpret the graph. Decline implies a time dimension - as in decline over time. The graph is not time dependent. The graph shows that by definition - hence res ipsa loquitur (in the non-legal sense) - there exists employees who are 3+ standard deviations below the mean. This isn't mythical Lake Wobegon where everyone is above average.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:30 AM

8,112 posts, read 4,014,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
In other words, you have no idea, or a link to explain, the criteria used to evaluate quality of the workforce.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:42 AM

51,182 posts, read 36,873,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I agree.

You misinterpret the graph. Decline implies a time dimension - as in decline over time. The graph is not time dependent. The graph shows that by definition - hence res ipsa loquitur (in the non-legal sense) - there exists employees who are 3+ standard deviations below the mean. This isn't mythical Lake Wobegon where everyone is above average.
Where is the data behind the graph? Without the data I requested answers from you for, the graph is meaningless. Why are you so avoidant of actually posting the entire link that you got the graph from? I can't help but feel you simply made your own graph and purported it to reflect quality of workers.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:32 AM

43,480 posts, read 18,584,249 times
Turns out it the email was not generated at the corporate level but by a franchise owner.
That owner has since been fired.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...email-83835976
Applebee's has confirmed that an employee of a Missouri-based franchisee has been fired after sending an email speculating that high gas prices and the end of pandemic stimulus money would force employees to work longer hours for lower pay.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:27 PM

10,663 posts, read 7,883,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I agree.

You misinterpret the graph. Decline implies a time dimension - as in decline over time. ..
Decline does not require a dimension of time. Your ridiculous graph shows low wage workers at the very bottom of the quality distribution. That implies a decline, aka, slope downward, in quality of a worker in relation to their wage.

What's missing are: Link to the image and associated information as it pertains to definition of quality, data/method analysis, etc.

But I missed "your point"? LOL. And what exactly would that be?

Old 04-03-2022, 07:57 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,627,612 times
Quote:
Where is the data behind the graph? Without the data I requested answers from you for, the graph is meaningless. Why are you so avoidant of actually posting the entire link that you got the graph from? I can't help but feel you simply made your own graph and purported it to reflect quality of workers.
You nailed it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Decline does not require a dimension of time. Your ridiculous graph shows low wage workers at the very bottom of the quality distribution. That implies a decline, aka, slope downward, in quality of a worker in relation to their wage.

What's missing are: Link to the image and associated information as it pertains to definition of quality, data/method analysis, etc.

But I missed "your point"? LOL. And what exactly would that be?
There is no point, the graph was made up with no data behind it.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:01 AM

880 posts, read 571,166 times
The people complaining... e.g., those who think things are unfair and that wages should be higher, I've got news for you... you'll always be complaining.

There's only so much capital that can be shared when the amount of work you're doing doesn't change. When laws pass that are supposed to change that, the ONLY thing that happens is the government gets stronger, and small to medium-sized businesses get weaker. The large corporations, the only ones who can afford to implement said regulatory changes, are often the ones shaping these bills through the lobbying of your house representatives, and the state's representation (senators).

Every single time you individuals (the ones complaining) help champion a new bill that's supposed to give you benefits, it leads to less for everyone. When the Affordable Care Act passed, and the mandates imposed changes to the businesses, all of these hourly workers were relegated to not being allowed to work more than 27 hours a week.

BEFORE then... we had meritocracy. Someone who wanted to further themselves could do so by taking other people's shifts if they didn't want them. They could work harder, longer, and pull in more hours. Where you had yet one more way to pull yourself out of such a career, the Government... (with YOUR support), now has tamped that down and people have to take multiple part-time jobs. GREAT JOB!!!

Everything you guys push, you blindly follow what you're told to support like the good mindless victims you are. Like the estate taxes... surest way to turn a company into one that only cares about profits is to force the family to sell it off. Businesses that are still owned by the family or original founders almost always have more care for their workers... because the legacy of the family and business are at stake. You take that away, and then an investment firm buys it, and then ALL the care goes towards bottom line and shareholders.

Raise the minimum wage... and say do like the Scandinavians do (even though they don't have a minimum wage, but never the less)... you now force small and medium sized businesses to restrict their hiring. They can no longer afford to employ people at the lower end... teens, people who just want a part time job... so these people suffer. Small and medium sized businesses can no longer support, and large businesses take over. When they get tired, they replace workers with self-checkout kiosks.

Think twice before you push a narrative.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:03 AM

51,182 posts, read 36,873,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
The people complaining... e.g., those who think things are unfair and that wages should be higher, I've got news for you... you'll always be complaining.

There's only so much capital that can be shared when the amount of work you're doing doesn't change. When laws pass that are supposed to change that, the ONLY thing that happens is the government gets stronger, and small to medium-sized businesses get weaker. The large corporations, the only ones who can afford to implement said regulatory changes, are often the ones shaping these bills through the lobbying of your house representatives, and the state's representation (senators).

Every single time you individuals (the ones complaining) help champion a new bill that's supposed to give you benefits, it leads to less for everyone. When the Affordable Care Act passed, and the mandates imposed changes to the businesses, all of these hourly workers were relegated to not being allowed to work more than 27 hours a week.

BEFORE then... we had meritocracy. Someone who wanted to further themselves could do so by taking other people's shifts if they didn't want them. They could work harder, longer, and pull in more hours. Where you had yet one more way to pull yourself out of such a career, the Government... (with YOUR support), now has tamped that down and people have to take multiple part-time jobs. GREAT JOB!!!

Everything you guys push, you blindly follow what you're told to support like the good mindless victims you are. Like the estate taxes... surest way to turn a company into one that only cares about profits is to force the family to sell it off. Businesses that are still owned by the family or original founders almost always have more care for their workers... because the legacy of the family and business are at stake. You take that away, and then an investment firm buys it, and then ALL the care goes towards bottom line and shareholders.

Raise the minimum wage... and say do like the Scandinavians do (even though they don't have a minimum wage, but never the less)... you now force small and medium sized businesses to restrict their hiring. They can no longer afford to employ people at the lower end... teens, people who just want a part time job... so these people suffer. Small and medium sized businesses can no longer support, and large businesses take over. When they get tired, they replace workers with self-checkout kiosks.

What you’re missing though is it that it’s not workers complaining, it’s restaurants complaining that they can’t find enough help.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:43 AM

880 posts, read 571,166 times
Quote:
What you’re missing though is it that it’s not workers complaining, it’s restaurants complaining that they can’t find enough help.

Well, that shouldn't be a problem soon enough. We have open borders with 10+ million people streaming in every year. We just need immigration reform, and they'll all be able to take up the slack.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:44 AM

6,403 posts, read 4,136,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post

As a small business owner, believe me I understand what you're saying. I really do.

The problem is it is regulations that have given everyone a 5 days, 40 hours work week. It's regulations that have outlawed child labor. It's regulations that have given always protected the weak from the powerful.

You like to blame the regulations for people having to get multiple part-time jobs. What about the businesses who did everything they could to exploit every loophole they could find in the laws? How come people like you never ask about the businesses side of things?

Look, capitalism is all about survival of the fittest, yes? I run a renovations business and I pay my tradesmen fairly to renovate houses. My profit margins aren't so razor thin that I would go out of business if (god forbids) I lost a $20 bill somewhere. Heck, my profit margins are such that I am able to give everyone a quarterly bonus.

Walmart, a business that pulls in thousands of times more profits than my small-ass business, can afford to give their executives millions of dollars in bonuses but can't afford to pay their workers enough to stay away from getting food stamps?

I get making profits. I really do. But at some point we gotta step back and look at how greed has been chipping away living quality for the common workers.

Of course, no regulation is perfect. There are always loopholes. But just because someone can find loopholes in a law doesn't mean we shouldn't have the law to begin with. Do you argue that we shouldn't have law against murder because someone might get away with murder because of a technicality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events