Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 03:35 PM

30,390 posts, read 23,862,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Or they could lower their multi-million dollar salaries. CEO pay has risen 1322% since 1978 and make 351 times more than their average worker today. It used to be something like 30x more.

I don’t consider customer service jobs to be easy no skill jobs. It takes more skill to deal with the public today than it ever did. These people were on the front lines of Covid masking rules etc and some paid with their lives. We did not have to deal with the level of aggression shown them today on a regular basis. I don’t have a problem with paying people a living wage.

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay-in-2020/
That is the truth! Everyone seems to be extra b*tchy these days. It is exhausting dealing with the public. I'd rather be able to work from home and deal with silent data all day, or take other peoples dogs for walks in the middle of nowhere.

Last year, I had a delivery to a riding school. I said, "If you ever need someone to clean the stalls, let me know", just so I could have some dang peace and quiet, away from all the angry people.

And yes, those "low wage losers" had to wear those damn masks for hours, far longer than those little quick trips to get groceries, like most people. They should have been paid even higher for having to endure that. Didn't see any CEOs in those stores and restaurants working alongside them for an hour or two, to boost their morale.

And if business owners don't think that does anything, they're wrong. I've had 2 jobs where the boss did the dirty work, when necessary, as everyone else was busy. I gained a lot of respect for them. And when your employees respect you, it's an asset for you - the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What happened to employees being an investment rahter than just a cost factor? Do those same business owners only buy the very cheapest equipment they can, and then wind up replacing it repeatedly because they use it to death without investing in maintenance and repair either?
As a homeowner it's not always the wisest course to cheap out wherever you can, you often wind up paying for it down the road.
This! Treat your employees right, you reduce many issues.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:59 PM

30,390 posts, read 23,862,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post

EDIT: I really want to be an *******, I really do. I can't express this enough. I'm tired of being the guy that's careful when I open my car door so I don't hit the person's car next to me, or allowing people to merge in front of me, or trying to keep my rent low because I feel bad or this and that. I really want to be a shrewd ******* that tries to get the most I can out of everything. Why am I not raising the rent to whatever the going rate is every single year? It's well within my power to do so. I'm a complete fool... especially when there are Millennials here that don't want to do s**t and want someone else to pay for everything. I paid out of pocket for almost all of my degrees, WHILE working full time. Why should I pay for your damned education too? If I'm going to have to... maybe I just need to be the person these losers think we all are. I've worked my ass off since I was 16. I wasn't always responsible, but I sacrifice. I drive a 13 year old car, and that's an upgrade from my 20 year old car that I donated to a kid in the neighborhood. We don't buy the latest and greatest iPhone or take expensive trips... because I want to be able to provide for my daughter so she can go to college and not be burdened and get a leg up. The hell with all of you who think someone else owes you something.
Go take a vacation before you bust a blood vessel.

FYI: I'm Gen X. I've done every thing you have done. And? So what. I still side with those who say that employers should show more respect to their employees just as they expect respect given to them. It's a 2 way street.

You pay people a decent amount, they will be loyal to you. They won't be calling in sick, not showing up on time, just quitting in the middle of the day. You won't have the turnover that you have to pay for to train. You won't have the drama, you won't have to tell them what to do, they'll do it. You know why? Because they feel respected as a human being, and not some stupid f-en number on a GD piece of paper. And they sure as hell won't feel disrespected by the millions of people who NEED them there for their wants and needs.

You can go automaton all you want...you're still going to need people, no matter how 'useless' you think they are. You think those people don't know that people like you view them as 'useless'? Gee, wonder why they feel the way they do.

And if you ding MY car door, we're going to have it out.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:53 PM

51,148 posts, read 36,837,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with people finding better jobs. Well, maybe some do, but I think a lot of the complaints were that these lower end jobs were competing vs a range of federal policies that essentially changed the playing field in favor of 'stay at home and collect dole money' vs 'go out and get low end job'.
That’s not the case now. All that money dried up quite some time ago. There’s no one who was on unemployment in 2020 and most of 2021 who is still collecting anything. And unemployment assistance wasn’t because people quit it was because just about every business closed during that time except for “essentials”.

It’s not about finding better jobs. It’s about people who rage at Min wages etc and want the market to decide wages…well the market has decided it’s better to pay low skilled people $20 an hour instead of closing theur business 3 days a week because they have no help. And the same people are upset that businesses are doing that.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-04-2022 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 04:57 PM

51,148 posts, read 36,837,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just so you know, a lot of small businesses got left out in the cold because the large corporations were swarming all over that money.
Yes but I don’t see threads where people are bashing those chains for it… I only see threads where people bash the employees of those chains for demanding more money now that are so in demand. I don’t think most of the people who have a problem with min wage laws, pandemic unemployment stipends, etc, really care about what the big companies did. They are painted almost as victims on threads like this.

They also got other breaks small businesses didn’t get. I could buy flower pots and seedlings at Lowes but my local garden center wasn’t allowed to open.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-04-2022 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 05:03 PM

22,035 posts, read 9,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm surprised that so many seem to think the primary purpose of a business is to provide paychecks to employees and not to make a profit. To a business, employees are simply labor cost, one of many costs. It's only natural that business owners (like home owners) seek to cut costs wherever they can. It's about cutting expenses to save on costs, not about the recipients of those expenses.
Geez. Seriously. Now cancel culture is looking to cancel anyone trying to make a profit.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,888,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Geez. Seriously. Now cancel culture is looking to cancel anyone trying to make a profit.
I don't think that's it.

Some posters here just don't understand the old adage of getting what you pay for. And there's a lot to be said for not being an employer of last resort.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-04-2022 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 06:16 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,046,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Yes...I didn't have a problem with the over all message so much, except it's pretty club footed and clumsy. But am I wrong? That same diminishing disposable income affects their clientele too, doesn't it? And while Applebee's has it's niche in the restaurant business...they're just one of many places to 'eat out'...and Applebees is never MY first choice of where to eat. (Shrug shoulders.)
Yes—
It is a double edged sword and cuts both ways
Plus diesel fuel is on the rise and will impact transportation costs for their suppliers too
So THEIR overall costs go up
What he fails to realize is that inflection is friend to none and will make people want higher wages to cope with it
Depending on individuals some people may quit a job that requires a long drive to look closer so it can churn his employee pool in that regard too

Old 04-04-2022, 07:54 PM

6,877 posts, read 4,327,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That’s not the case now. All that money dried up quite some time ago. There’s no one who was on unemployment in 2020 and most of 2021 who is still collecting anything. And unemployment assistance wasn’t because people quit it was because just about every business closed during that time except for “essentials”.

It’s not about finding better jobs. It’s about people who rage at Min wages etc and want the market to decide wages…well the market has decided it’s better to pay low skilled people $20 an hour instead of closing theur business 3 days a week because they have no help. And the same people are upset that businesses are doing that.

I have no problem with businesses paying higher salaries, and I certainly wouldn't ask for that to be restricted in some way. But what naturally happens is that when those salaries grow, so do the salaries further up the food chain as well (as you need a pay scale) and then businesses will naturally raise prices as well. And that is a big part of how you end up with 6% inflation and that of course has its own victims (people on fixed incomes/people with savings).

Old 04-04-2022, 09:48 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,135,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
yes, bootstrap time for all the "poors", after we gave 6 TRILLION dollars to the richest people and companies, including any small business for "paycheck protection"

and then they go and layoff thousands like in the airline industries and bailout cruise liners that don't fly the american't flag for tax purposes but can get a handout from Uncle Sam when they want it.

Here's $150,000 thousand for your small business, just fill out this literal one-page document saying you used the money correctly, --- FREE Money for business.

3.1 Trillion for "short-term" lending on wall street was the first thing they did (before the cares act) , that's over $12,000 for every American over the age of 18

9 billion to fix the water in Flint, still not done, but they took 3 days to find 13.4 Billion for Ukraine in addition to what they spent since 2014.

You live in a Failed State.
My small-ass business never saw a cent of that money.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:50 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,135,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
As another small/medium business owner, I agree with this. It's amazing that some of these posters think that running a business hinges on nickel and diming the employees to pieces; I doubt that those who think that way have ever actually run a business.
Yup. Nickel and diming your employees shouldn't be part of the business strategy to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events