Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 12:46 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,789,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
If you are lapped in an 800M race, you take the loss, go home, and train harder. Next time, you will NOT be lapped. That is the correct mindset. Lamenting over the fact that you got lapped will achieve nothing.

LOL. Lapped in a 2 lap race? I'd say it's fairly clear you're in the wrong race.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,867,648 times
A property in South Florida that is $350K and is not in a thoroughly horrible area is also likely to be a condo/townhouse development where the HOA just hit everyone with a special assessment and residents are paying off $1000+ Per month in HOA fees. And then there’s property insurance, which can be killer on pre-Andrew structures.

Principle plus interest often doesn’t reflect true monthly carrying costs down here very well.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:30 PM

Sometimes I just crave less than optimal food- maybe once or twice a month I’ll end up getting a chicken fingers and fries box at the local Whateburger and then once or twice a year, I’ll have a bizarre desire to, get this, get an unlimited salad and big plate of fettuccine Alfredo from Olive Garden of all places.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:49 PM

17,268 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Sometimes I just crave less than optimal food- maybe once or twice a month I’ll end up getting a chicken fingers and fries box at the local Whateburger and then once or twice a year, I’ll have a bizarre desire to, get this, get an unlimited salad and big plate of fettuccine Alfredo from Olive Garden of all places.
Yep. Same. I am a food snob, if I may say so... And I also have my cravings for cheap junk every now and again. I think we all do. Guilty pleasure of mine, McD;s beef patties... I'll get a Big Mac, toss the bread, and eat the patties.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:31 AM

7,885 posts, read 3,866,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes. It was get the sales numbers quota or lose your job.
Those employees were cheating. They stole money from their employer that they did not earn and do not deserve. They should be in prison.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:34 AM

7,885 posts, read 3,866,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They did it because of pressure from the top.
They did it because they were greedy. If they can't perform to expectation, they don't belong in that job. If they had any integrity, they would have realized they do not have what it takes and looked for another job where they could be successful. Instead, they stole money they did not earn and never deserved.

No amount of excuses and explanations involving the word "because" justifies their criminal behaviour.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:57 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Surely you aren't serious?
The humanitarian award for 2022 goes to... well anybody other than you at this point, because you don't think food and shelter are needs?
Some of these posters sound like they miss the days when child labor wasn't illegal and people could be fired for getting sick.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:18 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,665,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Some of these posters sound like they miss the days when child labor wasn't illegal and people could be fired for getting sick.
The sick part is still going on even if the elitists still want child labor.

My niece worked for Disneyland for years and when she got covid and was out sick too much: bye-bye.

In a fancy restaurant in Texas (of course) you had to bring a doctor's note PRIOR to calling in sick. Think of the logistics and absurdity of that. All for $2 an hour, lol.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh for the love of god. This thread was about how the proverbial shoe is at least part way on the other foot right now regarding labor, and some of you are typing like it's 2015 and gasbag Bernie was in here braying about his $15 an hour (that the old hypocrite wasn't even paying his own staff). That ship has sunk and sailed; it's 2022, and even though $15 an hour isn't the official law of the land, it's nonetheless looked down on to the extent that many businesses offering that rate can't manage to stay staffed.

When you've been paid $15/hr to sit home, you aren't going to get excited about working for it.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:56 PM

The poor actually pay a far higher share of FICA taxes than rich folks do- they’re making a straight hourly wage and come nowhere close to the FICA phase out.

People who live in poor municipalities or school districts also often pay far higher property tax rates than people who live in more affluent areas. Before Michigan changed the way schools were funded, the property tax rate for Detroit Public schools was something like three times higher than many affluent suburban area districts. And the funding per student was less than half what the per student funding was in Birmingham or West Bloomfield because of the regressive nature of property tax districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events