Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 09:48 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

My mom always talked about being buried standing up facing her beloved mountain. I was daunted by the task when faced with it... and didn't follow through, but I have to respect people who have the guts I didn't have to be this bold. I do have to wonder if he'd have actually worn that crown if he were alive. I wouldn't have predicted that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 10:15 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
No I'm saying I agree with you. People should never mourn when someone else dies (permanently, forever, final). It's weird that you'd want to grieve. They want you to BE HAPPY!!!! And dance!!! Whatever you do, do NOT acknowledge mortality in any serious way. Life is a party!
Actually to a certain extent I agree with this.

THe whole "celebration of life" thing, people that say "I want you to have a party when I'm dead," etc...seems a little crass.

But that's a broader complaint, about the insensitivity to the living. I was taught at a very young age, "we don't go to funerals for the dead, we go for the living" when we were going to the funeral of a father of family friends that died in his 40's for his widow and kids.

As to the venue...if that's where they want to hold it, who cares? Makes no difference if its at a funeral home or club in my mind.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:16 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,002 times
It's weird to me...but who am I to judge?

Old 04-05-2022, 11:01 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

THe whole "celebration of life" thing, people that say "I want you to have a party when I'm dead," etc...seems a little crass.

But that's a broader complaint, about the insensitivity to the living. I was taught at a very young age, "we don't go to funerals for the dead, we go for the living" when we were going to the funeral of a father of family friends that died in his 40's for his widow and kids.

As to the venue...if that's where they want to hold it, who cares? Makes no difference if its at a funeral home or club in my mind.
But we don't know if this example was an insensitivity to the living. After all, someone approached the nursing home about doing this. It's not like the funeral home director said "Hey, you know what would be fun? If I dressed this young man up and posed him in a nightclub!"

It's not how I would choose to do a wake. I'm almost 65, and I'm stuck in my ways, and I would want a more traditional expression of my passing. But...eh, to each their own.

One of my brother in laws lost his brother about a year ago. The poor man was single, and he died in his home, no one around him, and no one missed him for quite a few days, and it was my BIL was the one to find him, in his home, quite decomposed. It was awful. I won't describe. I'm sure you can imagine.

I thought it was quite a sad way to go. Death is sad anyway...but to be a puddle basically. How awful for his siblings, and his widowed mother. I can't help but think I'd choose being posed and presiding over dancing people, than dead and alone.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:09 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Gotta pay for his coffin someway.
Pretty sure that was to pay for the huge party at the nightclub.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:10 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

I would absolutely want mine to be a party. Tell funny stories about me etc.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:41 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
I think for some it's just their natural aversion to death and seeing dead bodies. They despise what they are not familiar with.

The crowd in this case is not disrespecting the corpse by any means. In fact they are celebrating how they see fit. If they were abusing the body in any way, sure, I wouldn't like it.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I didn't know where to put this.

Apparently the deceased's wake was held at a club where his body was standing up surveying the event:

https://consequence.net/2022/04/goon...-dc-nightclub/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fans-slai...181352247.html
Reminds me of some of the Irish wake stories I heard from relatives. The body would never be left unattended, just in case the deceased did “wake.” During one wake, the men attending the body decided to go to a local bar for some drink. They couldn't leave the body unattended, so they took it with them and sat it in a chair.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:22 PM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I didn't know where to put this.

Apparently the deceased's wake was held at a club where his body was standing up surveying the event:

https://consequence.net/2022/04/goon...-dc-nightclub/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fans-slai...181352247.html

Proof people do rise from the dead.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:35 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
It's weird to me...but who am I to judge?
Ultimately, this is my position too. If something isn't harming me or others, I'm generally very much a live and let live guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events