Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2022, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,807 posts, read 58,359,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well there you go. I suspect that the vast majority of people are like you and ignore them.
RV / backcountry / desert bound folks don't ignore Silver alerts when there is a HUGE motorhome with toad and elderly driver to jog your memory.
It was worth a try, and should have been considered.

Quote:
They cost like $300 for the device and $12 a month for service.
Thats 10x what I spent for my entire car, and over 10% of my monthly food and entertainment budget, so I won't be inclined to indulge. But others have a higher need and higher budget than I. I'm 'backcountry' every day and so far so good. Maybe when I do my cross AZ, UT, and NV via dirt roads in the next couple yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 10:22 AM

3,094 posts, read 2,438,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
"Last year, Indiana processed a record 203 Silver Alert requests with a record 153 activations. In all, 152 people were located, with 96 credited to Indiana State Police activating a Silver Alert." https://www.wthr.com/article/news/lo...e-62ff4933ba70

Here in Indiana, "The [Silver Alert] Clearinghouse will offer analytical support from the Indiana Intelligence Fusion Center (IIFC), Public Information Office, Cybercrime & Investigative Technologies Section, K-9, and additional ISP investigators and officers." Silver alerts are for high-risk or endangered people regardless of where they are from. https://www.in.gov/isp/files/IN-Silver_Alert_Plan.pdf

The family members are frustrated because it took over three days for Nevada to start searching and eight days to issue a silver alert. Maybe someone from Nevada or in search and rescue or law enforcement can explain Nevada's procedures. I agree that the couple got themselves into a mess, but that's exactly the sort of scenario that search and rescues are for.
Quote:

I think they already mean nothing. Okay so one quarter of the people are never located even with the Silver Alert, wow. Another quarter are found but not because of the Silver Alert and less than half are supposedly found because of the Silver Alert. But I would like to know how many of those would have been found anyway even without the Silver Alert. My guess most.
152 located out of 153 silver alerts issued means less than 1% were not located, not one-quarter. 96 out of 153 is around two-thirds, not less than half.

Quote:
If a family is frustrated because authorities aren't issuing a Silver Alert, then there are other options. They can just contact the local news media themselves. If there is some story behind the disappearance, then at least one local news media would probably be happy to report the story and alert the public.
Media outlets are not in the business of search and rescue. Furthermore, nobody knew at the time whether the couple was stuck in a remote area--or the victims of a crime or some other emergency.

I don't know what Nevada police do when there is a silver alert, but Indiana police departments offer the support bolded above. Crime Stoppers, which you also mentioned, sends tips to all law enforcement agencies in central Indiana and I know people who've gotten rewards from tips that led to an arrest.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:34 AM

15,617 posts, read 7,653,517 times
Quote:
Well there you go. I suspect that the vast majority of people are like you and ignore them.

I think Amber and Silver Alerts and other programs like Crime Stoppers where law enforcement ask for the public's help, just show laziness on the part of law enforcement. These type of programs didn't used to exist. Cops used to be expected to go out and find missing persons and solve crimes themselves. Sure if the public called them with a tip that helped them that was great. But they didn't just sit behind a desk and sent out alerts asking for the public's help, like they do now.
The number of police per populations isn't high enough for them to go out and chase missing people at random. Especially when there are violent crimes occurring.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:56 PM

23,496 posts, read 19,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don’t think that would work unless you did it before you were in a dead zone

You might try to save it in a dead zone but I don’t think anyone will get it because if someone can’t get IN to your phone—your phone can’t get OUT the company server or anyone else’s phone
I'd agree. You wouldn't know you're in a dead zone until you're IN it! Then its too late! Unless you are someone who obsessively checks the strength of their phone signal (just in case) or already knows the area has a reputation for bad reception. Which these folks might have found out if they checked into it instead of relying on one single source of information. Thinking back to the news interview video the nephew saying they had no inkling they might be heading into trouble. The red flags were piling up but their mindset kept them from seeing them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-09-2022 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-09-2022, 01:41 PM

51,175 posts, read 36,873,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
In my state (Oklahoma) it seems the Amber and Silver alerts on my phone are statewide. It it seems they are usually more than 100 miles away. So for that alone I usually ignore them. But I suppose if its happening nearby they may be of value. Or when they put them on highway signs.

But out in the middle of nowhere. No one else is out there. So how would it have helped?
Maybe a cop or someone would remember seeing the RV make a turn or something, and know which direction they went.

I ignore many of not near me, but if I got one in my area I would definitely keep my eyes out. I wouldn't scan license plates, but if I passed the car I would remember the alert. Of course it's much easier with " Silver RV towing Blue Volvo" than "silver Honda Accord".

Its not claiming to be a total solution, but it's an effective tool. And frankly if an Alzheimer's patient is on the road with me, I'd prefer to know in advance and be on the lookout. Once on the Garden State Parkway, a 6 lane highway down here, an elderly man drove by us on the wrong side of the highway. Driving north in the southbound lanes. It was off season so only a couple of cars, and we pulled on the shoulder as soon as we spotted him (he was going pretty slow, and guessing he was very confused).

They can have criteria, I posted NJ's yesterday which I thought were reasonable. I cannot see though why any state would have a requirement that the missing person be from that state, like Nevada does.

Old 04-09-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The number of police per populations isn't high enough for them to go out and chase missing people at random. Especially when there are violent crimes occurring.
Police don't chase people based on any public alert system. They exist to alert the public. Precisely because police don't have time to go look, you really just made the case for them. That is the whole point. Give them extra eyes by alerting the public. Police alert each other via police communication channels.

Old 04-09-2022, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 5,259 times
I have realized that GPS on my cell phone often picks the worst route and often takes me out of my way and frequently routes me through high traffic unnecessarily. Always use an old fashioned map as a "guideline".

Old 04-09-2022, 03:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,807 posts, read 58,359,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs2121 View Post
I have realized that GPS on my cell phone often picks the worst route and often takes me out of my way and frequently routes me through high traffic unnecessarily. Always use an old fashioned map as a "guideline".
Check your default route planning options. (As this couple should have done)

Old 04-09-2022, 05:15 PM

9,529 posts, read 5,327,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I'm from Colorado and live in Indiana now. People here don't realize that there are places out west where you can drive for hours without seeing anyone.
Wyoming!!! like, not even kidding!!! You better make sure you have provisions and extra gas, just in case.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs2121 View Post
I have horrible spatial skills and was never able to read a map. Before GPS I used to write directions on paper and tape it to the middle of my steering wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events