Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2022, 10:10 PM

3,345 posts, read 1,839,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know but they obviously didn’t have either
And some RV people DO camp off grid for short periods of time
This couple just was not really prepared
And I bet the wife tried to get him to turn around sooner and he refused
They were old, he was sick, and she was infirm.
They had NO margin for error.
They never imagined the worst... but they got unlucky.
RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 10:18 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,322,700 times
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/death-by-gps/

Old 04-10-2022, 09:58 AM

15,520 posts, read 9,200,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
152 located out of 153 silver alerts issued means less than 1% were not located, not one-quarter. 96 out of 153 is around two-thirds, not less than half.
Thanks for the correction. That was a big reading comprehension fail on my part.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The number of police per populations isn't high enough for them to go out and chase missing people at random. Especially when there are violent crimes occurring.
Nice try. There are over 1 million cops in this country. That's almost two cops for every missing person. They could assign 1 cop to every missing person case indefinitely until each case is solved, and still have 50% man power for other things. Not that anybody would expect them to do that. So there are more than enough cops to chase every missing person and still have manpower to fight violent crime too. Not that they do a great job of that either. The conviction rate for homicides has dropped from over 95% to under 65%, even as we keep hiring more cops. Sending out alerts and asking the public to solve crimes is lazy police work, and not the way it used to be done.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
They may have been wonderful people but the evidence belies the intelligent and tech savvy part. This is so unfortunate. Should never have happened. But they probably should not have been out there to begin with. They made a couple of bad decisions and didn't appear to have enough experience to realize they were getting themselves into trouble. very sad
I agree the "tech savvy" part made me laugh. It reminds me of the California couple who went out on an agressive 8 mile hike with their baby and dog in 109 degree temperatures with a totally inadequate supply of water. Family members called them "experienced" hikers. Sorry family members, "experienced" hikers make sure they have enough water for a hike. These type of epic fails are not consistent with experience or being savvy.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:35 AM

17,544 posts, read 16,699,705 times
I haven't read this entire thread but.....

This is nobody's fault it was a horrible accident. At least this couple spent time doing fun things together rather staying at stuck at home too frail to go anywhere.

Instead of honing in on the tragedy of their mistake, why not celebrate their spirit of adventure? I think it's really cool that they weren't allowing their health issues to hold them back. Yes, they took risks but if "staying safe" means staying at home and rarely venturing out...maybe the risks they took were worth it to them.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:38 AM

17,544 posts, read 16,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree the "tech savvy" part made me laugh. It reminds me of the California couple who went out on an agressive 8 mile hike with their baby and dog in 109 degree temperatures with a totally inadequate supply of water. Family members called them "experienced" hikers. Sorry family members, "experienced" hikers make sure they have enough water for a hike. These type of epic fails are not consistent with experience or being savvy.
If it had just been the couple taking on that hike, that would have been one thing but to take along a little baby and a dog? I will never understand what they were thinking.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The family could have rented a helicopter.
Not unless they have a lot of money. Helicopters are extremely expensive. Although that is a solution if you have the money. That's what the James Kim family did. Although they weren't in time to save his life they found his wife and child.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That's a badly written article. They didn't even tell what happened to the first couple. But here is the rest of the story.

Quote:
Body of missing B.C. man Albert Chretien found in Nevada

CBC News · Posted: Oct 01, 2012 10:18 AM PT | Last Updated: October 2, 2012

The body of Albert Chretien — a Penticton, B.C., man who has been missing since 2011 when he went looking for help after he and his wife's van broke down in Nevada — has finally been found, CBC News has confirmed.

A pair of hunters came across Chretien's body on Saturday in a wooded area in Northern Elko County, Nevada officials said.

Chretien's wife, Rita, survived for 48 days in Nevada's wilderness, praying and subsisting on candy, trail mix and snow, before she heard rescuers in the distance last May and was able to alert them.

Det. Dennis Journigan of the county sheriff's department said Chretien's remains were discovered Saturday in a secluded area of Merritt Mountain, about 11 kilometres west from where he set off.

He had climbed about 600 metres in the snow.

His identity was confirmed by information in his wallet and business cards. Journigan said the remains were intact and hadn't been scattered by animals.

The couple got stuck on a snowy logging road in northeastern Nevada last spring after getting lost on a road trip from their home in Penticton, B.C. to Las Vegas.

Body found about 10 km from nearest town

Albert Chretien had reportedly left on foot to try to find help, while his wife stayed in their Chevrolet Astro minivan.

Officials told CBC News that Chretien had been heading in the right direction and was roughly 10 kilometres from the nearest town, but his journey was likely hampered by deep snow.
Body of missing B.C. man Albert Chretien found in Nevada _ CBC News

Old 04-10-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I haven't read this entire thread but.....

This is nobody's fault it was a horrible accident. At least this couple spent time doing fun things together rather staying at stuck at home too frail to go anywhere.

Instead of honing in on the tragedy of their mistake, why not celebrate their spirit of adventure? I think it's really cool that they weren't allowing their health issues to hold them back. Yes, they took risks but if "staying safe" means staying at home and rarely venturing out...maybe the risks they took were worth it to them.
Because learning from their mistakes could save your own life someday. Celebrating their spirit of adventure, doesn't really accomplish anything. Either way he is still dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events