Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 01:19 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,993,120 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else wonder why she didn't scoop up snow and melt it for him to drink like she did? You can die from lack of water in a week, but not from lack of food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
latest report from surviving wife:
  • Bad GPS directions, (does not report if route is accessible via large RV)
  • He died after they ran out of food and water
  • She survived by scooping snow in her n95 and melting it.

Rough terrain + Snow + dirt road is not friendly to an RV towing a car.
He may have been a previous truckdriver or similar, so felt confident they would make it across that road.

Stuff happens (lots of stuff could have happened in their situation, and DW could not have got them out. )
Don't put others at risk, but not preparing for the worst (CA hiking couple with kid and dog, AZ hiking date + death...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 01:27 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,172,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Does anyone else wonder why she didn't scoop up snow and melt it for him to drink like she did? You can die from lack of water in a week, but not from lack of food.
Maybe he had a medical condition where he needed to eat?

Old 04-07-2022, 01:41 PM

5,849 posts, read 6,234,410 times
I just rented a satellite phone for a trip my husband is taking soon to Big Bend where he'll be doing primitive camping in an area with no cell coverage. We rented one last year too. Very easy to do and not that expensive. I'm surprised more people don't do it.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:10 PM

6,891 posts, read 4,359,984 times
Many people underestimate how quickly "rural" turns to "remote" in the West. I mean let's face it - the vast majority of people in the U.S., even outside the big metros, grow up in settings where you can pretty much always get to a convenience store, gas station or other place of business within an hour's hike (and typically much less) without many issues.

I suspect the distances, the terrain, the harshness of conditions, the scarcity of settlements and lack of easy access to provisions out there creep up on people easily. One just has to remember that family that died on that hike in CA last year.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:17 PM

23,556 posts, read 19,330,755 times
Maybe I'm callous (and of course all this is hindsight), but I don't know what more anyone needs to learn from this sad situation. The take home message that these events repeat over and over again seems pretty obvious to me.

Not knowing the route or the area. Red flag.
Naivete/overconfidence (towing anything down a deteriorating road until it bogs down stuck? Are you kidding me? Get out and scout ahead!). Red flag.
Trusting a single source of information with a well known, well deserved reputation for being inaccurate. Red flag.
Expecting communication technology with a widely accepted reputation for failure to rescue you. Red flag.
Not taking the season or weather into account. Red flag.
Assuming civilization will show up when you want it and not keeping fuel (for heat, cooking, keeping batteries charged), food or water stocked up. Red flag.

Just how many red flags screaming "bad idea" do you need?

Of course its terribly sad the husband died. No one wishes that on anyone. His death was avoidable. As for hoping for more details about the actual cause, can't you guess? A combination of hypothermia, dehydration, overexertion, frustration and stress probably overwhelmed a less-than fit person with an underlying condition will probably account for it. Frankly, the people who just have to know the personal medical details are ghouls.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-07-2022 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-07-2022, 02:33 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,275,351 times
I’ve been to the hinterlands in Nevada and it is truly desolate. You could drive for hours and not see a soul. It’s like being on Mars.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,941,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I wonder, could a gps in the vehicle, prevent this type of tragedy?
GPS can make it worse in off-the-beaten-track locations.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:35 PM

15,684 posts, read 7,714,469 times
Why do people put so much faith in GPS for remote areas? A quick look at the coordinates on Google Maps shows the location is nowhere close to an actual road. Another case of too much trust in technology combined with stubbornness resulting in death.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:01 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,108,595 times
They make GPS systems specifically for RVs. you program in the size of your rig and it keeps you away from roads that you cannot get down.

A rig that size usually holds at least 30 gallons of fresh water. Maybe they were driving with it empty.

Sad story. Big reminder - adventure is cool, but do your homework so you are prepared. However I understand how it happens. We found lost hikers a few times and once got lost. Since you are not intending to get lost, you may be out with a single water bottle and just a few snack bars. If you are lucky, you might be a carrying a knife and/or a gun, but you cannot eat or drink those. You do not bring 30 gallons of water for a day trip.

RVers typically plan to travel no more than 3-4 hours a day, so they may have only been prepared for a 3-4 hour trip. Whether they got lost, misguided by GPS or just made a poor decision will probably not be known (by us). Not likely the wife will broadcast on media the bad decisions that resulted in her husband's death. (Yes, there are Rvers who make long trips, but they are not typical and usually new to Rving, all the more experienced people we have talked with say that you quickly learn to keep it to 3-4 hour hops. 5 tops. Of course this couple may has stopped over a few times on this trip.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-07-2022 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-07-2022, 03:10 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,455,421 times
I'm from Colorado and live in Indiana now. People here don't realize that there are places out west where you can drive for hours without seeing anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events