Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 09:43 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
So then… What exactly was the issue? That they had to wait on the tarmac for the weather to clear up?
The issue is that they were being told they would have to fly back to JFK, through the severe turbulence that they had just endured. They had already multiple aborted landing attempts at JFK multiple times and diverted to EWR. They didn't feel safe attempting JFK again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 11:05 AM

50,761 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The issue is that they were being told they would have to fly back to JFK, through the severe turbulence that they had just endured. They had already multiple aborted landing attempts at JFK multiple times and diverted to EWR. They didn't feel safe attempting JFK again.
Yes. At first glance, the headline makes it appear that they simply wanted to get off the plane because they didn’t want to be on the plane anymore, when in fact they were afraid to fly again through the bad weather and they didn’t want to continue the flight. I’d have been terrified too.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:10 AM

50,761 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
So then… What exactly was the issue? That they had to wait on the tarmac for the weather to clear up?
Yes, they were trying to wait for the weather to clear up before heading back to JFK. The pilot had already attempted to land at JFK multiple times and had to abort the Landing multiple times because of how bad the weather was. The people on the plane we’re understandably traumatized by the multiple aborted landings and did not want to chance flying back to JFK in the bad weather and simply wanted to get off where they were. It’s close enough to JFK from Newark that they could have Ubered to JFK to get cars. They simply wanted their feet on the ground after a terrifying experience.

When I went to Cancun years ago, the pilot announced over the loudspeaker in broken English that there was heavy snow in Philadelphia with poor visibility, but that we were going to attempt to land there anyway. We were all scared lol.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:24 AM

175 posts, read 98,129 times
They weren't offered $50. They were offered $50 in flight credits.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2056152.html
Quote:
On JetBlue flight 1852 from Cancun, multiple customers were captured on video shouting “Arrest me!” and saying, “I don’t want to go back up in the air” after the troubled landing amid stormy conditions at Newark Liberty International in New York.
Sounds like they simply did not want to fly. They wanted to stay on the ground and were willing to be arrested instead.

Is Customs really that inflexible? What do they do when there are flight delays?

Old 04-14-2022, 12:08 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Pretty much.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:11 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
JetBlue has had major operational issues in the last weeks. It doesn't surprise me at all they were keen to get that plane back to JFK.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:12 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Pretty much.
No, that wasn't the issue. The issue was that they were being forced to go back up into the turbulent air they had just experienced. They were scared, many having anxiety attacks, many throwing up, and they didn't want to be forced to fly again so soon after.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes. At first glance, the headline makes it appear that they simply wanted to get off the plane because they didn’t want to be on the plane anymore, when in fact they were afraid to fly again through the bad weather and they didn’t want to continue the flight. I’d have been terrified too.
But if the PILOTS, who presumably don't want to die either, were OK with waiting for the turbulence to calm, then that should have eased their fears somewhat.

Not that I blame them for wanting to get off, but the airlines could have done a better job of explaining why it wasn't feasible.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, that wasn't the issue. The issue was that they were being forced to go back up into the turbulent air they had just experienced. They were scared, many having anxiety attacks, many throwing up, and they didn't want to be forced to fly again so soon after.
But I thought the point of landing at EWR was to wait out the turbulence, so they wouldn't be going back up into it.

I am sure that was small comfort to many, though.

And actually, the post you are replying to was me correcting another that they weren't flying around for hours after the aborted landing. 21 miles is nothing by air.

If you've ever sat in traffic on the route between EWR and JFK, you'd take the risk of turbulence, lol.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:25 PM

17,160 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But if the PILOTS, who presumably don't want to die either, were OK with waiting for the turbulence to calm, then that should have eased their fears somewhat.

Not that I blame them for wanting to get off, but the airlines could have done a better job of explaining why it wasn't feasible.
And this is assuming they didn't... Perhaps they did. The video shows a handful of people complaining. The FA can be heard saying something along the lines of "no, it is not 'everyone. who wants to get off now." From what I see, the majority of the passengers appear to be calm and collected. Every plane I have been in that had delays, forced detours, etc., has messages clearly relayed by the captain over speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events