Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 07:09 AM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Meanwhile millions of illegal aliens are coming into America with no Customs screening. Makes no sense.
Well, the illegal aliens aren't arriving at an official border crossing. The ones that have been arriving have, for the most part, been tossed back into Mexico under Title 42.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 08:16 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
What is relevant is the USA CBP has its own rulebook to follow. And part of that rulebook is that, when it is reasonably possible...

Please post link to that section of the rulebook.

Meantime - this link shows two aborted landings at most. May not be the right track or right flight or whatever but it seems legit and I have no way to doublecheck it.

https://simpleflying.com/jfk-newark-...ght-diversion/

CBP is under no obligation to do ANYTHING reasonably, and they frequently do not.

Let's consider how this could have maybe played out:

"Newark ATC, this is JetBlue 1852, we've got some sick people on here that want off."

"1852, ATC - that's a negative, no CBP available."

"ATC, but they're really mad."

"1852 - stop tying up this frequency."

That's the end of it. What else do ya think the pilot can do? Call CBP with his cell phone? Ain't gonna happen.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTzen View Post
‘Gotta get off this plane’: JetBlue passengers plead with crew after aborted landings at JFK

JetBlue Passengers Beg To Be Let Off The Plane:

The experience sounds terrifying.

I'm not a litigious person, but in this case I would definitely sue.
Sue for what exactly?

I guess I do not understand the problem, if they were on the ground, they obviously landed safely. So was their issue they didn't want to continue on to their connecting flight, they thought the pilot/s were incompetent, or they were afraid of how bad the weather was where they were headed?

Old 04-15-2022, 09:28 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Sue for what exactly?

I guess I do not understand the problem, if they were on the ground, they obviously landed safely. So was their issue they didn't want to continue on to their connecting flight, they thought the pilot/s were incompetent, or they were afraid of how bad the weather was where they were headed?
No, you didn't read it through. The plane was diverted to EWR from JFK after a couple of aborted landings due to turbulence. They want to get off the plane AT EWR, but they could not because customs was not available, so they had to wait until the turbulence over JFK abated and they could be taken back there and processed properly.

EWR to JFK is a couple of minutes of flying. 21 miles as the crow flies. Both major NYC metro airports, owned and operated by the same authority.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:21 AM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Sue for what exactly?

Yes, they had been through (for some of them) a traumatizing experience in which they were panic-stricken, and they just didn't want to fly again that night. Some of them perhaps vowed never to fly again. Everyone experiences trauma differently. They were close enough that they could have Ubered back to JFK for their cars, which I assume some wanted to do.

People here are assessing the situation rationally, but fear isn't rational.

I just don't see this as a situation of entitled or spoiled people, I think they were just grateful to be on the ground and terrified to go back up.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, they had been through (for some of them) a traumatizing experience in which they were panic-stricken, and they just didn't want to fly again that night. Some of them perhaps vowed never to fly again. Everyone experiences trauma differently. They were close enough that they could have Ubered back to JFK for their cars, which I assume some wanted to do.

People here are assessing the situation rationally, but fear isn't rational.

I just don't see this as a situation of entitled or spoiled people, I think they were just grateful to be on the ground and terrified to go back up.
I think that pretty much sums it up.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:00 AM

1,688 posts, read 611,125 times
It sounds to me like maybe the plane should not have made the trip to begin with at that time due to weather. Pilots have a pretty good idea what they weather will be on the entire flight. Did this pop up out of nowhere? Maybe, but pilots are also under a lot of pressure to fly when they do not face optimal conditions.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:32 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
What is relevant is the USA CBP has its own rulebook to follow. And part of that rulebook is that, when it is reasonably possible...
Reposting the link I posted earlier in the thread

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...6-seal-508.pdf

Includes discussion of how CBP thinks that all of their stations should have procedures in place to offload passengers from a diverted international flight after a three hour tarmac hold unless the plane will imminently return to the skies or there is a compelling safety reason to continue the hold.

The Jet Blue flight didn’t come close to that 3 hour mark so CBP was in monitoring mode for its time at Newark.

While broader weather is predictable, things like the exact levels of crosswinds are less so. My first abort and go round a few years ago, crosswinds looked to be at acceptable levels for the night when we left ATL but then got stronger than expected when our plane was somewhere around the Utah-Colorado state line.

The go round itself was not particularly scary- a little wobble on the near landing and then the engines kicked in and then a pull up. The following 20 minutes of holding over the Bonneville salt flats as the pilot had a chat with operations over whether to try again or divert to Las Vegas were actually more stressful. (Sue opted for a second try at SLC and we made a solid abs uneventful landing then)

Old 04-15-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
It sounds to me like maybe the plane should not have made the trip to begin with at that time due to weather. Pilots have a pretty good idea what they weather will be on the entire flight. Did this pop up out of nowhere? Maybe, but pilots are also under a lot of pressure to fly when they do not face optimal conditions.
I am not sure turbulence is always apparent from meteorological equipment, but I really don't know. And JFK is right on the water, where the wind can be crazy and change direction without notice.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:18 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
Pilots have a pretty good idea what they weather will be on the entire flight
Let's look at what happened - they landed at another airport a mere 30 miles away - mainly based on wind direction. No way to know that JFK = BAD, EWR = GOOD - several hours earlier.

Folks - stuff happens. How will you react? This will determine your course in life for many - many - things, not just JetBlue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events