Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 07:22 PM

17,191 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Nope. Though I suppose I should amend my statement, only on transportation could a company keep you prisoner and be within their legal right.

Yes, transportation is a big one. I was once riding Sunrail to work in Orlando, and a man jumped in front of (and got hit by) the train. We were not allowed off the train until police completed their investigation, and got reports and names from everyone on board. It took about 3 hours. We could not get off at all. It's inconvenient, but **** happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 07:28 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,259 times
I'm a little confused. How long were they held on the plane? On the tarmac? 4 aborted landings? Did they fly back and forth 4 times? Sorry the story isn't loading completely for me. I agree they should be allowed to disembark. I was held captive on a plane at O'Hare for 2 hours one time before they finally returned us to the gate. Enraged would be the proper word for the way most of us felt.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I'm a little confused. How long were they held on the plane? On the tarmac? 4 aborted landings? Did they fly back and forth 4 times? Sorry the story isn't loading completely for me. I agree they should be allowed to disembark. I was held captive on a plane at O'Hare for 2 hours one time before they finally returned us to the gate. Enraged would be the proper word for the way most of us felt.
This happened to me in Charlotte recently as well... But two major differences here: We hadn't left the airport yet, so disembarking was a non-issue... And, especially, we hadn't just flown in from a different country.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:34 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The article said that there was no Customs processing available at Newark, hence having to go back to JFK.
That is not true. Wonder why they said that? Newark is an international airport.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
That is not true. Wonder why they said that? Newark is an international airport.
Likely all full. The airline has no control over customs. That is all government. If they say they can't accept the plane, passengers, and cargo, what choice does the airline have?

Old 04-12-2022, 07:42 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
How would they "be let off the plane?" Land at some random airstrip without going through customs?
Errr, Newark Liberty Airport is hardly a random airstrip.

It's the other major New York International Airport besides JFK.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Errr, Newark Liberty Airport is hardly a random airstrip.

Not sure why customs wasn't available. It's the other major New York Airport besides JFK.
I am aware that Newark isn't a random airstrip. I was speaking figuratively.
In this case, it's likely that they were full, and were denied entry by CBP.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:50 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
4 aborted landings? Did they fly back and forth 4 times? Sorry the story isn't loading completely for me.
Not back and forth, but 4 times they attempted to land at JFK, couldn't do so safely, went back up in the air and circled the airport to try the landing again. Getting tossed around in turbulent weather the entire time. On the fourth attempt, they diverted to EWR.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:52 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yes, transportation is a big one. I was once riding Sunrail to work in Orlando, and a man jumped in front of (and got hit by) the train. We were not allowed off the train until police completed their investigation, and got reports and names from everyone on board. It took about 3 hours. We could not get off at all. It's inconvenient, but **** happens.
I took commuter trains to NYC for more than 30 years. That's what happens every time a train killed someone. I was only ever actually on one of the trains that killed the person--it was a suicide. But the whole system can get backed up until the investigation is done.

Back to planes...

Old 04-12-2022, 08:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
So I got curious and played around with a few things. CBP at Newark is open until at least 11:00pm for scheduled commercial arrivals. Jet Blue does 3+ million passengers at Newark every year including international flights from there. The non-stop options I found on Jet Blue for Cancun-JFK get in at like 4:30pm and 7:00pm so the flight would have been diverted while CBP was still open.(and not doing much business that I’ve of day)

It’s probably logistically messy (they’d have to pull any checked bags to meet the requirement of ‘present yourself at the point of entry with all your baggage’) and requires some sort of stupid amount of extra paperwork to voluntarily offload passengers at Newark instead of JFK according to the flight plan.

So hypothesis- Jet Blue operations told the pilot to fib a little about being unable to be offloaded at Newark because that would take a lot of time because of border stuff and further delay the passengers who did want to go onward to JFK. There could also be issues with duty hours for pilots and flight attendants if there was an additional delay at Newark and then that would have required additional crew and such for the very very short hop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events