Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 04:43 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think that's not a bad idea. But they would have to remember to put the dang thing on.

I've heard it suggested that you put something like your cellphone or your purse in the backseat - something that you know you'll go to look for.

Ha. I expect the cell phone is one of the main culprits in people "forgetting" the baby is in the car these days. Too busy checking the phone, while driving, or at the very least,at every stop light, to remember anything like the baby sleeping in the back seat. When the car is put in park and turned off the eyes and brain are already on the cell phone...assuming they ever left it in the first place.

This baby, or children, dying in the car is happening way way WAY too often. With all the news stories on it happening, how can anyone, ANY one, forget.

When these stories come out, does anyone stop to think about what that child went through before it died? Cooking to death internally is not a pleasant way to go. How is that one story of this happening doesn't prevent it ever happening again?

There are so many many ways to prevent it if parents are "so busy" or "so distracted" they can't remember they have a baby in the car. Set the stupid !@#$%^ phone to emit some kind of alarm when the vehicle is put in park. Use the paddle leash or whatever.

Too many lame excuses. There is NO excuse. None.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 04:45 PM

329 posts, read 225,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I remember being the little kid who could have drowned, while my mom and my aunt, whose house and pool it was, were sitting nearby. I was about 3. My aunt had big inner tubes for the pool, but no little kiddie ones. I was holding on to one of the big, black inner tubes, on the inside of it, when suddenly I must have lost my hold on it. I remember falling to the bottom of the pool, and looking up through the water. I was in-between the shallow end and the deep end, so it was fairly deep. I remember seeing my mom dive in from the shallow end and swim towards me.

I have no idea how I managed to last that long underwater. I suppose it only takes maybe 10-15 seconds to realize your child has sunk, and to dive in and swim, and pick them up, but still... I can only guess I must have somehow automatically taken a breath as I lost my grip on the tube, and held my breath. I don't know how a small child would have known not to inhale underwater, but maybe it's instinctual not to.
Oh, Ruth4Truth, I was holding my breath while I read your post. It's easy to imagine a small child losing her grip on one of those big, slippery inner tubes.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:51 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,689 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it doesn't happen to some people, I'm just saying that it doesn't happen to me. I've never come anywhere close to forgetting my child anywhere.

Like I said, when you're leaving your house with a child, you've packed their diaper bag, you've gotten them dressed, you've fed them, changed their diaper, maybe even had a conversation with them if they are old enough. You buckle them into their car seat, start driving them to daycare and......whoosh....you forget they're back there.

How??
Well, good for you. Everyone is different. Some people have hundreds of topics coursing through their brains every day.

As you said, you haven't done it. That PROVES you could never do it in the future, right? It also "doesn't happen" to anybody else, until it does.

A child can fall asleep in the back seat and ... whoosh, it's quiet back there. And the brain is very complex. You can understand that, can't you?

Old 07-19-2022, 04:57 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Ha. I expect the cell phone is one of the main culprits in people "forgetting" the baby is in the car these days. Too busy checking the phone, while driving, or at the very least,at every stop light, to remember anything like the baby sleeping in the back seat. When the car is put in park and turned off the eyes and brain are already on the cell phone...assuming they ever left it in the first place.

This baby, or children, dying in the car is happening way way WAY too often. With all the news stories on it happening, how can anyone, ANY one, forget.

When these stories come out, does anyone stop to think about what that child went through before it died? Cooking to death internally is not a pleasant way to go. How is that one story of this happening doesn't prevent it ever happening again?

There are so many many ways to prevent it if parents are "so busy" or "so distracted" they can't remember they have a baby in the car. Set the stupid !@#$%^ phone to emit some kind of alarm when the vehicle is put in park. Use the paddle leash or whatever.

Too many lame excuses. There is NO excuse. None.
I agree. This is happening way too much.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
Well, good for you. Everyone is different. Some people have hundreds of topics coursing through their brains every day.

As you said, you haven't done it. That PROVES you could never do it in the future, right? It also "doesn't happen" to anybody else, until it does.

A child can fall asleep in the back seat and ... whoosh, it's quiet back there. And the brain is very complex. You can understand that, can't you?

These are your acceptable excuses? Busy complex brain? No. There is NO excuse. NO EXCUSE for leaving a baby to cook to death in a car.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post

Yeah, sorry. It's the adult's job to protect the innocent child. These terrible tragedies make the news far too often. If a person thinks that this could happen to them then they need to do something to prevent it before it happens - put the diaper bag up front , put your cellphone in the backseat, roll your window down, type the daycare address into your GPS and let the car remind you that you have a baby in the backseat.

It's 100% preventable.

It makes me wonder how many little children this happens to who manage to survive it somehow.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:18 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Yeah, sorry. It's the adult's job to protect the innocent child. These terrible tragedies make the news far too often.
Like it or not, part of the perceived epidemic of hot car deaths is an artifact of reporting. Tragedies like this probably happened a lot more in the past than we realize. Every Tom, Dick and Harry without a 24/7/365 newsfeed simply didn't hear about them.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:21 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
One of the nice features about my new Kia K5 is a reminder.

When I shut the engine off, a notice flashes on my control panel, accompanied by beeps, that says "Check the Rear Seats". it's not annoying because it only happens if I have opened the rear doors when I first get in.

As an aside, before cars had bells and whistles and notified you about everything, my friend put her handbag on the back seat so she would check the rear seats when exiting. She started that when her kids were born.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Like it or not, part of the perceived epidemic of hot car deaths is an artifact of reporting. Tragedies like this probably happened a lot more in the past than we realize. Every Tom, Dick and Harry without a 24/7/365 newsfeed simply didn't hear about them.
We do all seem to hear about these senseless tragedies now, the public is aware that this can happen...and, yet, this still happens way too often.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

And yet, inundated with these stories as we are, it is STILL happening. Whether they happened "in the past" and weren't reported is really not relevant. A parent's number one responsibility is to take care of the child. And with all the bells and whistles available to parents these days, to remind them they have children, this should not happen. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events