Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 03:14 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,310 times

Advertisements

What they said about routine! If I had something unusual happen (break in routine) I didn't just forget something, it was like my brain did a complete "I give up" dump and I was on manual for the rest of the day. On the other hand, if my routine was in progress and I was on autopilot, it would be near impossible to suddenly remember something unusual I had to do. I completely understand how it could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 03:37 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
What they said about routine! If I had something unusual happen (break in routine) I didn't just forget something, it was like my brain did a complete "I give up" dump and I was on manual for the rest of the day. On the other hand, if my routine was in progress and I was on autopilot, it would be near impossible to suddenly remember something unusual I had to do. I completely understand how it could happen.
But how would you go from packing up a diaper bag, buckling a baby into their car seat....to forgetting that the baby is even back there?

My mind would be adding in the extra time that I needed to drop the baby off along with the route that I would need to take. I guess my point is, that I wouldn't be on autopilot - I couldn't be on autopilot - with all of those extra logistics going through my brain, if anything my mind would be thinking more about each step I was taking.

I truly don't understand how this happens. I've tried.

I can see how a parent might forget that it's their turn to pick a child up from daycare and drive right home - doh! That I can see happening.

Last edited by springfieldva; 07-19-2022 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-19-2022, 03:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
The bottom line is that people (obviously) can't rely on their own memories where this is concerned.

Two words: paddle leash.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:50 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Y
I myself have a child who, as a preschooler, nearly drowned while I was sitting nearby. Thank God, I saw him in time, and he is fine, but it still haunts me. Probably a lot of people would judge me for that, and say it could never have happened to them.
I remember being the little kid who could have drowned, while my mom and my aunt, whose house and pool it was, were sitting nearby. I was about 3. My aunt had big inner tubes for the pool, but no little kiddie ones. I was holding on to one of the big, black inner tubes, on the inside of it, when suddenly I must have lost my hold on it. I remember falling to the bottom of the pool, and looking up through the water. I was in-between the shallow end and the deep end, so it was fairly deep. I remember seeing my mom dive in from the shallow end and swim towards me.

I have no idea how I managed to last that long underwater. I suppose it only takes maybe 10-15 seconds to realize your child has sunk, and to dive in and swim, and pick them up, but still... I can only guess I must have somehow automatically taken a breath as I lost my grip on the tube, and held my breath. I don't know how a small child would have known not to inhale underwater, but maybe it's instinctual not to.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:57 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The bottom line is that people (obviously) can't rely on their own memories where this is concerned.

Two words: paddle leash.
Question...what's a paddle leash?

Old 07-19-2022, 04:03 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
But how would you go from packing up a diaper bag, buckling a baby into their car seat....to forgetting that the baby is even back there?

My mind would be adding in the extra time that I needed to drop the baby off along with the route that I would need to take. I guess my point is, that I wouldn't be on autopilot - I couldn't be on autopilot - with all of those extra logistics going through my brain, if anything my mind would be thinking about more about each step I was taking.

I truly don't understand how this happens. I've tried.

I can see how a parent might forget that it's their turn to pick a child up from daycare and drive right home - doh! That I can see happening.
Maybe something normal happening, like a usual intersection, got his brain back on autopilot. Or maybe he had another unusual thing going on that day and his brain was processing that. It happens - SOMETHING is happening. These people aren't doing it on purpose (99.99% aren't).

Old 07-19-2022, 04:04 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I think that's a fair question. I've wondered the same thing sometimes.
IIRC, that is addressed in the Washington Post article.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:13 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Question...what's a paddle leash?
As I described above, it's about a 5' stretchable bungee cord with velcro loops on either end. Attach one to your paddle and the other to your boat so you don't lose it in a capsize. Or attach one to your wrist, phone, purse, or keys and the other to the carseat so you don't forget your kid. Or just use a string. Same principle.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
Maybe something normal happening, like a usual intersection, got his brain back on autopilot. Or maybe he had another unusual thing going on that day and his brain was processing that. It happens - SOMETHING is happening. These people aren't doing it on purpose (99.99% aren't).
I'm not saying it doesn't happen to some people, I'm just saying that it doesn't happen to me. I've never come anywhere close to forgetting my child anywhere.

Like I said, when you're leaving your house with a child, you've packed their diaper bag, you've gotten them dressed, you've fed them, changed their diaper, maybe even had a conversation with them if they are old enough. You buckle them into their car seat, start driving them to daycare and......whoosh....you forget they're back there.

How??

Old 07-19-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As I described above, it's about a 5' stretchable bungee cord with velcro loops on either end. Attach one to your paddle and the other to your boat so you don't lose it in a capsize. Or attach one to your wrist, phone, purse, or keys and the other to the carseat so you don't forget your kid. Or just use a string. Same principle.
I think that's not a bad idea. But they would have to remember to put the dang thing on.

I've heard it suggested that you put something like your cellphone or your purse in the backseat - something that you know you'll go to look for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events