Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 10:10 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm sure most people here that have big brothers would agree with me.
Yup.

When I was around 8 or 9, I got a big teddy bear for Christmas. That winter I got a virus of some sort and threw up in the night all over my bear. It wasn't washable, so my mother told my big brother, four years older, to burn it out in the backyard with some brush that had accumulated.

My brother burned the bear, then put its burnt head on a long stick and crouched beneath my bedroom window, first knocking on the window and then making the burnt head dance around so I could see it.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:44 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup.

When I was around 8 or 9, I got a big teddy bear for Christmas. That winter I got a virus of some sort and threw up in the night all over my bear. It wasn't washable, so my mother told my big brother, four years older, to burn it out in the backyard with some brush that had accumulated.

My brother burned the bear, then put its burnt head on a long stick and crouched beneath my bedroom window, first knocking on the window and then making the burnt head dance around so I could see it.
LOL, typical. That reminds me of Sid from Toy Story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 11:17 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I mean, I agree that I certainly would NOT want something like this being done to my children at a daycare. I want to be clear that I'm not saying it was OK.

But I wonder if there are people who will feel a bunch of righteous fury about something like this, yet have also made comments about "spoiled" kids and participation trophies and how coddled kids today have no respect for adults? I just wonder.

Also, I was put into daycare, before and after school and over summers, starting at 5 years old when my previous caregiver (my Gran) died...and every single one of them, EVERY ONE, from big chain business style centers to providers working in their homes to care for kids...I could tell you stories about that were vastly worse than this.

And they get away with it, because a lot of the time, kids don't really understand that someone in a position of authority might be doing something wrong that a parent would not be OK with. I kinda thought that adults simply had all the power and even if I really didn't like what they were doing, they all had every right to do whatever they wanted to kids. It didn't really occur to me that any of them were answerable to other adults, that they could "get in trouble." So why would I tell my parents what they were doing? If a grown up was mad at me, it was because I was bad (in my child mind - even if that wasn't true) so why would I go tell another grown up about it, when probably they'll just want to punish me, too?

Minnieland Daycare, age 5 - I was supposed to be taking a nap but the seam of my sock was stuck between my toes. I sat up to fix it real quick and an enraged "Miss Judy" grabbed my arm and hauled me out of the room, down a flight of stairs and tossed me into a big wooden box for "time out." It was dark and scary in there.

Another older lady with a home daycare, left kids unattended in a room with a woodstove which was in use. We melted plastic on it. She beat our hands with rulers. She also made the kids collect all of the acorns from the entirety of her huge backyard because she "hated squirrels" and for lunch once served us uncooked hot dogs with a single slimy piece of American cheese on it. Once my Mom was a little late picking me up, and she drove me to a nearby street corner in the pouring rain and left me standing there alone after dark. I did not understand that my Mom would drive by there and see me, I thought she wouldn't know where I was and wouldn't be able to find me. I had no idea where I was in relation to my home. I was terrified and sobbing. It was my Mom's birthday and I was lost, I thought. That was the night my Mom realized this babysitter was no good. She didn't learn the rest of it until I was an adult.

Another one, when I was 10, made me care for the infants and change their diapers (do the work she was being paid to do.) Another had a husband who would grab my 2 year old brother and stuff him head first into a LEGO bucket while he screamed and cried. Point is...they were all bad. Every one.

I don't know if there's still that much bad behavior in the profession or how widespread it is. All I can say is you'd be surprised how much they can get away with. These places should probably all have security cameras.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:00 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm sure most people here that have big brothers would agree with me. Or you could watch The Goldberg's or any number of sitcoms that feature siblings.
Its not the same thing though ..this was an adult being paid and trusted to watch very young children.. completely out of order and evil..

Old 10-11-2022, 12:09 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Would this same little girl laugh or be scared by a "trusted" day care worker doing the same thing? She would "know" the day care worker.

Some children would laugh, some would be very scared. Not all children are scared of these horrid masks. In this case, with me just reading the comments on this thread, it appears the story is about children who were scared.

No she wouldn't. How would she know this scary face was the aid? Children at that age often don't even recognize their teachers if they see them elsewhere...out of context.

I find it odd that you seem to be defending these creeps and saying this is okay.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:33 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its not the same thing though ..this was an adult being paid and trusted to watch very young children.. completely out of order and evil..
Yes I agree, I’m not defending those workers at all. Someone earlier in the thread told a story of an older brother scaring his sister in a supermarket, which is when I responded that older brothers have been doing that forever. But then other posters take my response and repost it without the context of the post I was responding to which could make it seem I was talking about the title story.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:01 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
This was so infuriating and disgusting to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am assuming that they have been allowed to handle the mask and that they see their siblings putting it on, so they know who is behind the mask. That is very different than an adult deliberately frightening a group of children.
One Halloween, my mom was taking pictures of my brothers, who were quite a bit older, in their gruesome masks. I knew it was my brothers and it didn't scare me, but my younger brother was still young enough to be terrified. Even though they showed him that they were just masks and showed him their faces, he was still hysterically screaming and crying so we had to get him out of the room and calmed down. He must have just been too young to process it.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 10-11-2022 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
They must have felt very powerful and in control, maybe for the first time in their lives, when scaring those little children half to death. Sickos! There's no excuses for their behavior. None. They should be banned for life from ever working with kids again. If that ruins them, then it ruins them. Not my care or my problem. They need to repent, not seek forgiveness from the public.

So tired of this sicko garbage being turned around and used against us, as if we're the ones needing to cleanse ourselves of something. What they did to those little kids is absolute evil. Let them seek forgiveness from God, not us, not the parents.
I agree. It's not even necessarily about punishment (although they should be punished). If you're capable of doing that to a 2-year-old...

Find a different career.

EDIT: Just realized that I should clarify, my comment about punishment was referring to the daycare workers, not the children.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 10-11-2022 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 02:16 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
This was so infuriating and disgusting to watch.

One Halloween, my mom was taking pictures of my brothers, who were quite a bit older, in their gruesome masks. I knew it was my brothers and it didn't scare me, but my younger brother was still young enough to be terrified. Even though they showed him that they were just masks and showed him their faces, he was still hysterically screaming and crying so we had to get him out the room and calmed down. He must have just been too young to process it.
Yeah, one time there was a guy in a gorilla costume handing out balloons as a promotion for a store opening in our little downtown. I had my niece who was about 4 at the time. He walked up and tried to give her a balloon and she started to cry and hid behind me. The poor guy was so upset. He took off his head to show her he was just a person but she kept crying.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Would this same little girl laugh or be scared by a "trusted" day care worker doing the same thing? She would "know" the day care worker.

Some children would laugh, some would be very scared. Not all children are scared of these horrid masks. In this case, with me just reading the comments on this thread, it appears the story is about children who were scared.
I was wondering if the children saw her put the mask on or if she put it on before she came into the room, not that it really matters given the end results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
And any issues and the little one cries for mommy and in no time mommy comes to the rescue. The kids in the daycare probably called their mommies over and over again, but no one came to their rescue because the adults suppose to be the source of comfort and protection were too busy terrorizing them. If a parent put their kids in a daycare, they are putting their trust on the adults there that they will not harm their kids in anyway. Daycare workers should know how wrong it's to horrify kids.
That's what was heartbreaking to me, they were completely at the mercy of this "monster."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events