Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 09:44 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
"I was charged and gored by a bison because I was too CLOSE to being passing them on a railway," Clark wrote in her caption of the video which received more than 1.8 million views and over 280,000 likes.

In another video, Clark explained how the bison rammed her back, gored her and threw her into a mesquite bush. She said she was there for 50 minutes until help arrived. Clark had limited phone service and no access to 911.

Here are some safety tips:
https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...k-17514558.php
I can see her death cert some day: Cause of Death: Stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 09:54 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
She was on a hiking trail in a state park. Certanly hiking has its dangers from wildlife everywhere, but the park service shouldn't be increasing that danger by introducing dangerous animals into a state park which has had none for well over a hundred years. Yes in a perfect world buffalo would roam free in Texas, but that is not the world we live in.
While we appreciate your opinion it’s nonsensical and I don’t think Texas Parks and Wildlife gaf what you think.

Quote:
What's next? Lions and Tigers roaming free in New York City's Central Park? Wouldn't that be cool?
Native species to the area or ridiculousness on your part?

Quote:
Actually Wyoming is the least populated state, and has the second lowest population density. Montana is almost as low. Texas on the other hand is the second most populated state and also has a moderately high population density. So I would have to disagree with your statement that there are more than enough humans to cause problems in Wyoming and Montana. There is plenty of room in Wyoming and Montana for humans and bison. Texas, no so much.
What’s the population density in Texas state parks?

Old 10-19-2022, 01:48 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
This is not a wild park. It's more of a glorified zoo. Its a very small 15,000 acre state park with 90 miles of hiking, biking and horseback riding trails, 136 campsites, 35 of them with running water and electricity. Contrast that to Yellowstone NP's 2.2 million acres.

This is not an appropriate place to put bison. It's clearly stressful to the animals as you can see in the video, and it's just flat out dangerous for the thousands of park visitors.
I believe you mean wildlife park? Or maybe not, it doesn't matter. Gloried zoo, wild park, whatever, along with your comments concerning population just strikes me as an excuse to argue.

Read the link Parnassia supplied for you and at east you will be more educated on the subject. It is an excellent source for those who do not know the history of Charles Goodnight with these bison.

Quote:
The woman didn't even care about seeing the bison, she just wanted to go for a hike on an established well traveled hiking trail. The state failed to provide her with a safe environment for that.
She certainly cared about videoing the bison. The state did not fail to provide her with a safe environment, she failed to use common sense. Lacking said common sense, the least she could have done was heeded the posted warning signs. But no, she proceeded to walk right up behind them thinking she was going to video them and shoo them out of the way with some baby talk.

Quote:
Yes in a perfect world buffalo would roam free in Texas, but that is not the world we live in.

What's next? Lions and Tigers roaming free in New York City's Central Park? Wouldn't that be cool?

Actually Wyoming is the least populated state, and has the second lowest population density. Montana is almost as low. Texas on the other hand is the second most populated state and also has a moderately high population density. So I would have to disagree with your statement that there are more than enough humans to cause problems in Wyoming and Montana. There is plenty of room in Wyoming and Montana for humans and bison. Texas, no so much.
Bison are not roaming free in Texas. These particular bison are enclosed in a state park.

Lions and tigers roaming free in NYC's Central Park is your idea of a comparison? Well, hokey, dokey then.

As to your third paragraph, I recommend you read Rakin's post regarding your population remarks.

Old 10-19-2022, 02:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:

Not really the best equivalency, Cloudy; those in NYC have a reasonable expectation of not encountering wildlife, and unlike bison, lions and tigers are obligate carnivores.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:22 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not really the best equivalency, Cloudy; those in NYC have a reasonable expectation of not encountering wildlife, and unlike bison, lions and tigers are obligate carnivores.
People in Texas have a reasonable expectation of not encountering bison. Since there haven't been any free roaming bison in Texas since 1876, and even today this park is one of only two places in Texas where people can see bison. The other being the Fort Worth Nature Center, and they have fences between the bison and humans.

Humans hiking through a bison herd is a really bad idea, for the reason shown in the video. But for some reason it is encouraged in this park.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
People in Texas have a reasonable expectation of not encountering bison. Since there haven't been any free roaming bison in Texas since 1876, and even today this park is one of only two places in Texas where people can see bison.
As the home of the official Texas State Bison Herd, I think visitors to that park with half a brain should consider it possible that they'll encounter bison.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:31 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I believe you mean wildlife park? Or maybe not, it doesn't matter. Gloried zoo, wild park, whatever, along with your comments concerning population just strikes me as an excuse to argue.

Read the link Parnassia supplied for you and at east you will be more educated on the subject. It is an excellent source for those who do not know the history of Charles Goodnight with these bison.
Thank you but my education on bison is fine. As for what was meant by "wild park" you will have to ask the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius Lugo View Post
Yes. Comparing a species native to the Texas environment in question being reintroducing to a rural, wild park is just like importing African and Asian species into an urban area

Old 10-19-2022, 05:50 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
I've been to Caprock Canyons State Park before. It's a remote and rugged park in a very rural part of the Panhandle of Texas. It makes perfect sense that bison would be reintroduced there. When you hike at parks like that, you assume the inherent risks of doing so, including all potentially dangerous flora and fauna.

I've never encountered bison at Caprock, but we did happen upon a lone bison on the trail once in the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma. Came up around a crest of a hill and there he was just grazing about 50 feet from us. Fortunately, our dog didn't see him (though he saw us) and we were able to back away without incident or him getting aggressive.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:39 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
People in Texas have a reasonable expectation of not encountering bison.
No they don’t. Please demonstrate why you believe anyone has a reasonable expectation to avoid bison in a Texas state park. Give me any rationale

Quote:
Since there haven't been any free roaming bison in Texas since 1876, and even today this park is one of only two places in Texas where people can see bison. The other being the Fort Worth Nature Center, and they have fences between the bison and humans.

Humans hiking through a bison herd is a really bad idea, for the reason shown in the video. But for some reason it is encouraged in this park.
Again why would any individual expect to avoid a bison, if it’s stated as a possible encounter?

Old 10-19-2022, 06:48 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,206,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
"I was charged and gored by a bison because I was too CLOSE to being passing them on a railway," Clark wrote in her caption of the video which received more than 1.8 million views and over 280,000 likes.

In another video, Clark explained how the bison rammed her back, gored her and threw her into a mesquite bush. She said she was there for 50 minutes until help arrived. Clark had limited phone service and no access to 911.

Here are some safety tips:
https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...k-17514558.php
Some peeps just 'ain't that smart' ............ Darwin has a special parking spot for them on the genetic tree dead end branch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events