Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 02:11 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times

Advertisements

Based on what I saw, there's liability on Tesla. I've driven multiple Teslas and especially the same Model 3, there's no way he could've done that if the car's safety systems are working. I often drive and the car cuts power when I'm going too close to objects or driving too erratic or out of control. It looks like the car is not stopping or any of the safety system is working at all.

Since Tesla's accelerator is just a software control system and not a mechanical gas paddle that controls throttle. Could've the software has froze up and wouldn't stop or slow down.

Tesla would normally slowdown when it is too close to other cars or bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 05:09 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With any other make, such an incident is 99% is a driver medical event of the time. With the Tesla, it's most likely another failure of the autopilot system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...pilot-crashes/
It was not on autopilot - hitting the brake will disengage cruise and autopilot, turning steering will disengage FSD autopilot. Seems that he just pressed the accelerator thinking it was the brake.

Old 11-16-2022, 05:14 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Based on what I saw, there's liability on Tesla. I've driven multiple Teslas and especially the same Model 3, there's no way he could've done that if the car's safety systems are working. I often drive and the car cuts power when I'm going too close to objects or driving too erratic or out of control. It looks like the car is not stopping or any of the safety system is working at all.

Since Tesla's accelerator is just a software control system and not a mechanical gas paddle that controls throttle. Could've the software has froze up and wouldn't stop or slow down.

Tesla would normally slowdown when it is too close to other cars or bikes.
A Tesla will respond to driver commands and ignore safety systems if manually controlling like any car. Most cars currently have no link between accelerator and the engine. Tesla is not different in either respect - manual control is just that - you get warnings but not action.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:08 AM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
A Tesla will respond to driver commands and ignore safety systems if manually controlling like any car. Most cars currently have no link between accelerator and the engine. Tesla is not different in either respect - manual control is just that - you get warnings but not action.
Even so, the car will hesitate when closer to objects and from the video it seems the car is fully disengaged of all object detection and avoidance sensors. It is going full speed unrestricted, even it is not easy to disengage all avoidance and driving aids completely on a Tesla unless someone intentionally want to drive unrestricted and it takes time to do so before driving. Based on the video, it looks like the driver is trying to slow down the car and it is not slowing down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events