Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 05:35 AM

15,470 posts, read 7,522,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
I am very sad for the children and the family.

I know people want to find a logical reason for this craziness. I still say she is a criminal and a murderer. I hope the courts throw the book at her to include the death sentence.
What would executing a mentally ill person accomplish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 06:32 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Don't you think someone who is an L&D nurse (at one of the better hospitals in the world) has some type of education about PPP and PPD? I think that's the only point being made is that it seems surprising that someone who helps bring new life into the world, cares for newborns in their first days of life and helps the mothers with all things after birth would kill their own kids.

In the end though I guess it didn't matter what her profession was or how many resources she had.
Not necessarily. Just because she works in a hospital in labor and delivery does not mean she has any expertise on postpartum depression or psychosis. I'm sure she is aware of it like anyone else. Labor and delivery doesn't mean follow up care or psych evaluations.
Why is it surprising. Psychosis, as has been explained and attested to over and over, changes a person's thought processes, they disconnect, hallucinate, etc. It does not matter if you are a genius, have a PhD in mental health, psychiatry, psychology, are a nurse or practicing physician or are a high school dropout, you cant reason through or control a psychotic breakdown. That is why it is important for others, family, medical professionals, to step up.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't know, but she has domain knowledge from her profession. That should have led her to notice signs and symptoms. Obviously she knew enough to get into treatment to begin with.
Or her doctor noticed and put her in treatment. Labor and delivery is not psych, nor necessarily follow up care and we dont know the extent of her job duties. It isnt uncommon for physicians/nurses to become addicts or to be obese or to have untreated/undiagnosed health issues. One just assumes they have domain knowledge and would not fall prey to such.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I am with you but we seem to be in the minority. I think many murders are committed by 'unsound' people. I am still shocked by how much empathy this mother is getting. Perhaps people just dont know how else to feel. I can't say I feel angry at her but she's f*cked.
I have empathy for anyone who has lost a child regardless of the circumstances. If she was suffering from PPP she did not realize what she was doing at the time and when she recovers and realizes what she did that pain will be the worst type of suffering anyone can experience from losing a child.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:51 AM

50,882 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
well, if her husband did it.....he is a monster.
It's not in question, we already know she did it.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:33 AM

16,478 posts, read 8,270,174 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not in question, we already know she did it.
I think he's saying that if the husband had been the one to do this he would be a monster.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:26 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You think psychosis affects those with nursing degrees differently than those with a business degree?
As a former psych RN, I'd say that with some self awareness, one might be more able to function more normally with PPD or PPP. Psychosis can take the form of a fixed delusions without a lot of other signs.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:51 AM

248 posts, read 443,311 times
]It does not matter if you are a genius, have a PhD in mental health, psychiatry, psychology, are a nurse or practicing physician or are a high school dropout, you cant reason through or control a psychotic breakdown. That is why it is important for others, family, medical professionals, to step up.[/b][/quote][/u]

This.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:53 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
It's possible that the woman in the story was in severe PPD, not PPP to an outside view. It's not like there's a bright line that gets obviously crossed over.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
As a former psych RN, I'd say that with some self awareness, one might be more able to function more normally with PPD or PPP. Psychosis can take the form of a fixed delusions without a lot of other signs.
I dont disagree with that. If one were a psych RN or had a specific education/training in PPD or PPP. Psychosis manifest differently. Arent some of the most proficient serial killers doctors and nurses, isnt some form a mental illness common in those in the field of psychology.

In this case though just because she worked as was a labor and delivery nurse, and she was apparently diagnosed and being treated, would not lead on to believe she could fake not having psychosis. Everyone around her seemed to know she was suffering some sort of depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events