Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 12:58 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I believe there are any number of solutions to that problem. As I explained, after a bad crash a car's computer system will likely be out of commission too. But that would occur after the airbags deploy. The same type of system should be used in aircraft to open emergency exits on impact. Putting that task in the hands of random passengers is a primitive way of doing things at best. This incident highlights the problems with that.
But you're thinking of it as a regular door, that opens and closes on a hinge. Emergency doors on planes don't open and close. You put both hands on handholds within the door, and lift the entire door out of the frame. I can't see how that would be possible to do automatically, and I assume there is a reason they make the doors like that versus like a standard door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, for one thing, we are talking about a machine that regularly moves in and out an environment where people cannot survive......unless that machine provides the living environment for the people. So we are, basically, talking about a massively complex machine which is not the same as a car......and we should not expect it to be.

But, as said, we have found over the decades that leaving emergency exits to the crew is a potential loser. After all, would you expect, even in the car like bus, for the driver to get to the back of the bus to open that door so those in the back of the bus could escape?
He's not even talking about leaving it the crew, but leaving it to a computer.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:04 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But you're thinking of it as a regular door, that opens and closes on a hinge. Emergency doors on planes don't open and close. You put both hands on handholds within the door, and lift the entire door out of the frame. I can't see how that would be possible to do automatically, and I assume there is a reason they make the doors like that versus like a standard door.
Regardless it should be automatic, not the responsibility of random passengers. Who may or may not be physically or mentally capable of opening the doors, or who may have mental episodes and open then when they shouldn't

Old 06-02-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Regardless it should be automatic, not the responsibility of random passengers. Who may or may not be physically or mentally capable of opening the doors, or who may have mental episodes and open then when they shouldn't
How can it be automated when it requires being lifted entirely out of the door frame??

There have been many, many planes crashes over the years and I don't ever recall an incident where a passenger in the emergency aisle didn't/couldn't/wouldn't open the door. IMO computers have glitches all the time, I certainly wouldn't trust that any automatic mechanism would work properly in a crash. Aside from the fact it would be impossible to automate the type doors they currently use.

Old 06-02-2023, 04:56 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
How can it be automated when it requires being lifted entirely out of the door frame??

There have been many, many planes crashes over the years and I don't ever recall an incident where a passenger in the emergency aisle didn't/couldn't/wouldn't open the door. IMO computers have glitches all the time, I certainly wouldn't trust that any automatic mechanism would work properly in a crash. Aside from the fact it would be impossible to automate the type doors they currently use.
The same way the doors in a grocery store open automatically, with electronics and sensors. If a human can open the door, a machine can open the door.

Old 06-03-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
The same way the doors in a grocery store open automatically, with electronics and sensors. If a human can open the door, a machine can open the door.
Again, plane doors do not open enclosed. You’d have to lift the entire door out of the frame to open it.

In any case, a suggestion like the one you’re making, would require re-designing and rebuilding every airplane from scratch. Airlines are already struggling. I highly doubt there’s money in there to buy a whole new fleet of super advanced automated planes.

Old 06-03-2023, 08:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
You would have stood in an open doorway of a plane and reached outside to try to grab the door, while the plane was flying? Good luck with that. Emergency doors don't open and close, the entire door lifts out of the frame.
Tongue in cheek. I know about doors in a plane. My dad was a pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
hehehehe. Pulling the door shut was probably not happening - but the rest - yeah - not sure how he didn't go out, either on his own or with a little help.
If someone wants to go flying without wings, far be it from me to interfere with him. LOL

Old 06-07-2023, 05:22 PM

814 posts, read 581,714 times
The airlines have made it possible, with cheap flights, for the general public to fly. And the general public does. The general public sucks. Not everyone, OF COURSE, but too many nuts and bolts slip through the cracks. If I ever fly again, it will be in Business or First Class. Extra money doesn't protect against any and all of the dirt bags who fly.

But it helps.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:02 PM

334 posts, read 181,681 times
What would you say to the guy afterwards, if you happened to be sitting next to him?

Spoiler
First time flying?

Old 06-10-2023, 09:00 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
What would you say to the guy afterwards, if you happened to be sitting next to him?

Spoiler
First time flying?

Forgot your parachute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events