Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 02:00 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times

Advertisements

Very Sad, as well as the 7 murdered, there are 6 other cases that could go to a retrial, whilst police are investigating other hospitals that Lucy Letby worked at, in relation to other baby deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News (18th august 2023)

Nurse Lucy Letby has been found guilty of murdering seven babies on a neonatal unit, making her the UK's most prolific child serial killer in modern times.

The 33-year-old has also been convicted of trying to kill six other infants at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016.

Letby deliberately injected babies with air, force fed others milk and poisoned two of the infants with insulin.

She refused to appear in the dock for the latest verdicts.

The jury was unable to reach verdicts on six further attempted murder charges.

Nicholas Johnson KC, prosecuting, asked the court for 28 days to consider whether a retrial would be sought for these remaining six counts.

Nurse Lucy Letby guilty of murdering seven babies on neonatal unit - BBC News (18th August 2023)

Police fear Lucy Letby may have killed more babies - The Telegraph (18th August 2023)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQwqIxTOoA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 06:36 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
The BBC article said she was a neonatal nurse. I assumed that meant she worked in the NICU (and only there) meaning her access would have been limited to only the sickest infants. That would at least make plausible the idea that there could have been systemic problems on the unit. Or that she didn't intentionally harm any babies, but was just an extremely negligent nurse. Given how many infants it was though, I'm not buying that either.

But I suppose "neonatal" could be used to describe multiple units and functions like perinatal, L&D, well baby/Level I nursery, really any unit where new moms and infants might be.

What do prosecutors think her motive was? Is she just a sociopath? Is she a narcissist that targeted only sick babies with a poor prognosis that she felt she felt she was euthanizing? Or were any of her victims healthy babies? I only read the BBC article, the Telegraph one was behind a paywall.

ETA: I just found a post on Reddit (r/news) on this story with a robust discussion and over 2K comments, so I got a lot of questions answered there. Was not shocked to learn that medical staff expressed concerns early on and multiple times, but were not only ignored by administrators, they were actually required to apologize to her. And that's where we are today in all health care systems regardless of the country.....administrators and payers make the rules and medical professionals are sidelined.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-19-2023 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-19-2023, 07:54 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Was this a case of incompetence, irresponsibility or did she intentionally meant to kill the babies?

I'm still trying to think what could give someone a reason for killing babies (there is never a justification for this.) Other than being told by a doctor that you can never have kids (even then you should get a second opinion to be sure) and the resentment that might create towards fertile women (who are the vast majority of women), I really don't see a reason to kill the babies born to complete strangers.

Boredom? Imagine being bored and killing babies adds the needed excitement to your life. Sickening.

Old 08-19-2023, 08:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Was this a case of incompetence, irresponsibility or did she intentionally meant to kill the babies?
Appears intentional, most of the babies seem to have been premature with complications. My guess is she rationalized it as sparing the babies, their parents, or society from a lifetime of caring for the children. Not her decision to make!
Quote:
She said Letby "sought to deceive her colleagues and pass off the harm she caused as nothing more than a worsening of each baby's existing vulnerability".

Old 08-19-2023, 08:15 AM

17,779 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
I really don't see a reason to kill the babies born to complete strangers.
Yes, I can see your point here. It's the babies of people that I know that get on my nerves.

Old 08-19-2023, 08:59 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, I can see your point here. It's the babies of people that I know that get on my nerves.
For me it’s the babies and children at Walmart.

Old 08-19-2023, 09:01 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:

I'm still trying to think what could give someone a reason for killing babies (there is never a justification for this.) Other than being told by a doctor that you can never have kids (even then you should get a second opinion to be sure) and the resentment that might create towards fertile women (who are the vast majority of women), I really don't see a reason to kill the babies born to complete strangers.

Boredom? Imagine being bored and killing babies adds the needed excitement to your life. Sickening.
It was something sadly far too common in hospitals/healthcare systems round world including USA when it comes to serial killing nurses or other staff. Those in charge refuse to hear a word said against suspect nurse or whoever even though strong evidence points to very odd occurrences that are statistically out of norm.

For a nurse to have one death occur when she/he is on duty or around a patient may be regarded as a misfortune. When there are two, three or more deaths that happen when said nurse is charged with care of patients or in vicinity speaks to something far more sinister.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2395565.html

For over three years those who ran the Countess of Chester Hospital refused to listen to concerns and or evidence nurse Lucy Letby was up to something if not outright harming infants.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66120934

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2395565.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ee-murder.html

In USA this hospital would be sued out of existence, but that option isn't available for NHS. Thus meetings will be held, questions tabled in Parliament, official inquiry and so forth. In end reports will be issued on how things went "horribly wrong" and that "changes are and have been implemented" to assure this never happens again. All of which is quite cold comfort to mothers who lost their babes and those infants whose short lives were snuffed out.

Unless the Crown or Charles III recently have acquired powers of resurrection what has been done cannot be reversed.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:15 AM

Quote:

What do you think?

"The trial heard how Letby murdered newborns by injecting air into their tiny bodies, in some cases shattering their diaphragms, or in one case by pushing a tube down an infant’s throat. She tried to kill two babies by lacing their feeding bags with insulin.

DCI Nicola Evans, of Cheshire constabulary, described her as a “calculated and callous” killer who had acted “under a cover of trust”. She said: “Lucy Letby was operating in plain sight. She abused the trust of the people around her. Not just the parents that had entrusted her with their babies but also the nurses she worked with and the people that she regarded as friends.”

One of the babies was the size of an adult hand, weighing just over 535g (1lb), when she was born 15 weeks premature and given a 5% chance of survival. Letby tried to kill the girl twice – the first attempt just hours after she and the family had marked her 100th day of life with a celebratory cake, and the second on what would have been her due date two weeks later. Letby was found not guilty of a third count of attempted murder against her.

The little girl, known as Child G, was diagnosed with quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the attacks. Now eight, she is nil by mouth and requires 24-hour care."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ester-hospital

Old 08-20-2023, 03:37 AM

Running list of UK serial killers in recent memory who were doctors or nurses.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2395899.html

Old 08-20-2023, 05:31 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
This is a very weird case, in that she doesn't appear to have had a motive. It's pretty rare when murders don't have some apparent motive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events