Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 09:58 AM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times

Advertisements

The article i read said it was kids who dug the hole. All that aside an adult digging a hole at the beach with their kids seems like a fairly innocent activity. I'm sorry but I just dont blame the hole diggers here. It was a freak accident, child was in the wrong place at the wrong time and she needed better adult supervision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 10:03 AM

21,895 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
...an adult digging a hole at the beach with their kids seems like a fairly innocent activity...I just don't blame the hole diggers here...It was a freak accident...
There's an old saying: when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging! Seems that would apply to both the actual hole diggers and you on this thread.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:15 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There's an old saying: when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging! Seems that would apply to both the actual hole diggers and you on this thread.
and you as well!

Old 02-28-2024, 11:04 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
I know people who've benefitted from these as well as "meal trains." They usually HAVE a friend or relative put it up for them so they don't seem to be begging for themselves. They certainly know about it since they provide not only contact info, but their very specific food aversions and restaurant preferences!
I find there’s a lot of people on NextDoor, posting sob stories, and asking for money too.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:05 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Exactly. It's a very stupid thing to do.
My pet peeve when I lived at the shore, was that the parents don’t make the kids fill the holes in after they’re done. There were multiple times when I was walking on the beach at night and stepped in one.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:37 PM

988 posts, read 1,019,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find there’s a lot of people on NextDoor, posting sob stories, and asking for money too.
It's very off putting to me. We live in an upper middle class/high cost of living town and an absolutely lovely neighbor of ours tragically passed away from cancer in her late 50's. Her adult sons set up a GoFundMe page in my view begging for money, and many neighbors contributed generously because of how much they liked the woman who passed away, and they "raised" well over $100,000.

I thought she was great, but declined to donate and was put off by the shameless request for money. She wasn't super rich by any means, but lived in a $1 million home that I assume was mostly or fully paid off by now. Why exactly her kids needed a six figure windfall from friends and neighbors in addition to inheriting her home and assets is way beyond me.

I understand when a very poor person passes that the community may feel obligated to chip in for funeral expenses. But the ridiculous sob stories and begging for money is a horrible look from my perspective, and just because something tragic happens to you doesn't mean that the world owes you a huge lump sum payment.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:39 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
It's very off putting to me. We live in an upper middle class/high cost of living town and an absolutely lovely neighbor of ours tragically passed away from cancer in her late 50's. Her adult sons set up a GoFundMe page in my view begging for money, and many neighbors contributed generously because of how much they liked the woman who passed away, and they "raised" well over $100,000.

I thought she was great, but declined to donate and was put off by the shameless request for money. She wasn't super rich by any means, but lived in a $1 million home that I assume was mostly or fully paid off by now. Why exactly her kids needed a six figure windfall from friends and neighbors in addition to inheriting her home and assets is way beyond me.

I understand when a very poor person passes that the community may feel obligated to chip in for funeral expenses. But the ridiculous sob stories and begging for money is a horrible look from my perspective, and just because something tragic happens to you doesn't mean that the world owes you a huge lump sum payment.
I see gofundmepages set up by people when no even died...I've seen just, oh i'm a single mother, 3 kids, was recently in a car accident, out of work, blah blah. I'm sorry but no...

Old 02-28-2024, 01:12 PM

I once saw a Gofundme posted by friends of the deceased to fund their taking a few weeks off work without pay to "process and grieve" their loss. They somehow got tens of thousands donated to them! Many people have more dollars than "sense," it seems. They probably grieved on a nice free vacation.

And I remember when funeral expenses were something people planned and saved for, because we all die...

It'd be interesting to ponder what caused such a huge sense of entitlement in whole generations (I notice these are mostly Millennials and Gen X-Zs; not so much Boomers), but I suppose that would be a post for the Psychology, Philosophy, or Parenting forum.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:22 PM

988 posts, read 1,019,261 times
Quote:
I once saw a Gofundme posted by friends of the deceased to fund their taking a few weeks off work without pay to "process and grieve" their loss. They somehow got tens of thousands donated to them! Many people have more dollars than "sense," it seems. They probably grieved on a nice free vacation.

And I remember when funeral expenses were something people planned and saved for, because we all die...

It'd be interesting to ponder what caused such a huge sense of entitlement in whole generations (I notice these are mostly Millennials and Gen X-Zs; not so much Boomers), but I suppose that would be a post for the Psychology, Philosophy, or Parenting forum.
I agree with you wholeheartedly re: not liking GoFundMe in general and I'm very turned off by the begging. But in fairness, Boomers are way less computer literate than the younger generations that you mention. So I really don't think it's a culture issue as much as it is that Millennials and Gen Z do absolutely everything online. I'm Gen X with Boomer parents, and they wouldn't have a clue how to set up a GoFundMe if they wanted to.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:26 PM

I don't agree that it's just a technology gap... It's a cultural shift. I think I can speak for my generation in saying that we weren't raised to beg for freebies and expect others to bail us out, especially of predictable situations or those that are our own fault. If that were the case, we'd have used current "technology" to call people (including strangers) on the phone to wire us money, sent out mass mailings asking for donations, or tacked up flyers on telephone poles advertising our need.

We didn't and wouldn't have dreamed of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events