Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
There have been tremendous changes in bike technology in the last ten years. Too numerous to enumerate. But one of the most significant is the PRICE of various components - and assembled bikes in general. I pay as much for a new bike seat now as I did for an entire bicycle in my younger years.
Let's not forget our good friend inflation. I'm often amazed at how many old codgers seem to think that the bicycle industry is somehow trapped in some sort of magical time-warp where all prices shall remain the same as they were in 1959, forever and forever (ahhhhmen).

Remember, a few K also used to buy you a brand new car and a 3-2 in the 'burbs could be had for under 20K. Those were the days, right?

The truth is, after over decade in the industry, I actually think that bicycle prices lag behind general inflation. Innertubes, for instance, only very very recently went up (in 2008) after years and years and years at the same pricepoint (when the wholesale cost went up, shops finally had to pass that on to consumers).

The price of technology drops by the year as well. I still remember when buying a carbon-fiber race bike meant dropping at least 5K and an entry-level race-able mountain bike was at least $800. Today? One can buy a race-ready CF road bike for ~2k and race a mtb, out-of-the-box, with disc brakes, for ~$600.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Got a couple of Birias for my wife and I today. $500 each. Nice city bikes; they allow us full leg extension AND both feet firmly on the ground while seated yet aren't "crank forward". Easy for this codger to mount and dismount too. I much prefer them to the Giant and Electra crank forwards we tried as they have a more traditional (and to me more comfortable) posture; they seem better quality too. I wanted to try the Rans CF but no shop in Chicago has them in stock.

Not quite the quality of our Specialized Crossroads Elites but "easier". I like the odd look too.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Pretty bikes! ^^^

Great pictures too.

Many happy miles.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
plaidmom:As far as big-box stores vs bike shops are concerned, I'd say you need to do a little research and find out the specific model names, then compare if the two types of stores have any of the same models. I have no doubt that the big-box stores are only going to offer the lower end of the Schwinn line, but on those they will probably be cheaper. You won't get the same after-purchase support if you need it, of course.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:36 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Love my Townie!

Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times
I had a Giant Suede on the way to eventually getting a recumbent. The Suede was mostly a fine bike, but the seat tortured my perineum. That same type of seat is on other crank-forward bikes like the Townie. Rans appears to have designed a seat for crank-forward riding, so a Giant Suede or Townie with a Rans seat may be a cheaper and comfortable alternative to buying a full Rans.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:27 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
A less well known brand to consider is RANS. I have two RANS bikes and adore them, so I am obviously biased. They are sort of in between a recumbent and a traditional diamond frame. They refer to it as "crank forward". Step through and step down (easy to get a foot on the ground quickly), very light weight, shorter learning curve, more visible in traffic than the recumbent, but a lot easier on hands, wrists, hips, seat and crotch than the diamond frames (or ass-hatchet as some like to call them). When I started looking for a new all purpose bike that didn't kill so much of my anatomy as a diamond frame, I found them.

RANS Bikes | Rans Bikes Inc.

The main issue I have with them is being constantly stopped and asked what they are, asked to try them, and where to get one.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:00 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
A less well known brand to consider is RANS. I have two RANS bikes and adore them, so I am obviously biased. They are sort of in between a recumbent and a traditional diamond frame. They refer to it as "crank forward". Step through and step down (easy to get a foot on the ground quickly), very light weight, shorter learning curve, more visible in traffic than the recumbent, but a lot easier on hands, wrists, hips, seat and crotch than the diamond frames (or ass-hatchet as some like to call them). When I started looking for a new all purpose bike that didn't kill so much of my anatomy as a diamond frame, I found them.

RANS Bikes | Rans Bikes Inc.

The main issue I have with them is being constantly stopped and asked what they are, asked to try them, and where to get one.
Those RANS bikes look nice! I bet they are expensive. I currently own a Giant Suede cruiser and an Electra Gyps 3 speed cruiser, both with forward cranks. I love those bikes, they aren't the fastest, but then I am not riding for speed. Would love to have a RANS for my next bike! By the way, I ride every single day for at least an hour.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:34 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I had a Giant Suede on the way to eventually getting a recumbent. The Suede was mostly a fine bike, but the seat tortured my perineum. That same type of seat is on other crank-forward bikes like the Townie. Rans appears to have designed a seat for crank-forward riding, so a Giant Suede or Townie with a Rans seat may be a cheaper and comfortable alternative to buying a full Rans.
I have owned a RANS Fusion and a Cruz. They are nice bikes but their limitations are their long lengths for people who live in places where storage is an issue. They basically are the same bike feel as that of a RANS Stratus in terms of handling and turning. The Street and Dynamik models have a sorter wheelbase with less fork rack and so feel more akin to the Townie or Trek Pure in handling.

I find the Townie seat to be much more comfortable and natural feeling than the RANS. To each their own.

Plus the much lower price tag of Townie ($550) vs RANS unless you can find a used one under 1000 bucks.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:30 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,632 times
I ended up buying a sixthreezero EvryJourney 7 speed steel frame for $299, then I saw on craigslist a Electra Townie 21D for $200 and bought it too. Now I get to ride a 7 speed and a 21 speed peddle forward bike before I purchase and ebike next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling