Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Had a friend who road cross country on speed plays. Might even look into them in the future.
They are the easiest on the knees of any I've tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They are the easiest on the knees of any I've tried.
I'm trying to remember why I rejected them long ago but I can't think of one. I'm definitely looking in to Speedplay for the future.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
I'm trying to remember why I rejected them long ago but I can't think of one. I'm definitely looking in to Speedplay for the future.
Could falling off your bike at the wrong time , or bad time, getting seriously injured have anything to do with your rejection of clipless pedals back then?

Clipless are just great on the race track to wring out that last bit of stroke power but on the street all they are is a disaster waiting to happen to the rider.

In racing all the equipment is kept tip top so equipment caused wrecks are at a minimum. Not so on the street where equipment caused wrecks are more common and worse because the rider didn't care if his/her bike was race ready. So when a rider does go down on the street the damage/injury is often much worse than one might believe.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Could falling off your bike at the wrong time , or bad time, getting seriously injured have anything to do with your rejection of clipless pedals back then?
Falling down because you didn't unclip is pretty embarrasing, but seriously injuring? It happens when you're stopped.

As for Speedplays, the X-series feels really weird when you first get them, but when you get used to them they're really nice. And in a pinch you can pedal them with street shoes.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Falling down because you didn't unclip is pretty embarrasing, but seriously injuring? It happens when you're stopped.
Not always and not always in a clear open space. More often than not there will be a curb close by which will not welcome your head with pillow like comfort.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Nope, I literally jumped on clipless pedals as soon as I could. I began racing in ernest when I was 19 and stationed in New York. I would ride from Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn to Central Park at the time the "safest" way to ride was to have a use the traditional bird cage straps and cleat on one shoe so that you could slip out one foot if you had to put a foot down, of course the object then was to do a track stand when you had to stop so that you didn't have to unchinch your straps to begin with.

When clipless pedals came out you you didn't need to have one foot uncleated. Nor did you have to flip your pedals, insert your foot then reach down to cinch your straps or conversely reach down to release them. As far as I was concerned it was a huge improvement and while I have fallen while at a complete stop (rather embarrassing) it has never been a earth shattering experience, certainly not as bad a falling over on my motorcycle which resulted in me breaking my collar bone , but that is the subject for another thread.

Quote:
Clipless are just great on the race track to wring out that last bit of stroke power but on the street all they are is a disaster waiting to happen to the rider.
You don't do much out of the saddle hill climbing or sprinting do you? I say that because racing or not, you can apply so much more power, efficiently, while out of the saddle during a climb with clipless pedals than you ever could without.

Quote:
Not so on the street where equipment caused wrecks are more common and worse because the rider didn't care if his/her bike was race ready. So when a rider does go down on the street the damage/injury is often much worse than one might believe.
I can't think of anything mechanical other than a tubebless tire coming off of a rim or maybe a chain breaking that would cause a crash. Folks who go down, go down because of bike handling (or getting hit by a car) not because of mechanical failure. And while pro race bikes are obsessively maintained, maintaining a road worth bike doesn't take that much effort outside of having working breaks, and properly inflated tires.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Quote:
The only reason I can think of rejecting them may have been the cleat design. The retention system is incorporated into the cleat and not as part of the pedal. When everything is clean, the interface works like a dream, but if you get off and walk without cleat-covers, inadvertently picking up even a little tiny pebble and getting it lodged in the works can have an effect.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
The only reason I can think of rejecting them may have been the cleat design. The retention system is incorporated into the cleat and not as part of the pedal. When everything is clean, the interface works like a dream, but if you get off and walk without cleat-covers, inadvertently picking up even a little tiny pebble and getting it lodged in the works can have an effect.
or price.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
or price.
I think that was it. When the Speedplays came out they were way more expensive that either the Looks or the Shimano copies. And to spend that kind of money on what was then an unorthodox design didn't make much sense to me.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I think that was it. When the Speedplays came out they were way more expensive that either the Looks or the Shimano copies. And to spend that kind of money on what was then an unorthodox design didn't make much sense to me.
Yep, my original (used) 2300 Trek already had them on it or I would have stayed with my LOOKS. Now the LOOKS sit on a shelf in my garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling