Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times

Advertisements

Here's the problem, I have one hellish year of health problems, shoulder surgery, two extended stays at local hospitals for systemic infections and moderate case of high blood pressure that has resulted in periodic foot swelling, as a result I am flat out of shape. I have one sweet classic (15 year old Colnago Master Ti) road bike but road shoes that I can no longer wear due to swelling.

I live in an area with a lot of climbs so trying to rebuild an aerobic base is problematic. First solution was to turn my mountain bike into an urban terrorist machine which I ride for short trips to the local stores as the first phase of my rehabilitation. The problem is that the bike and I would be greatly enhanced by installing a clipless pedal system so that I can get my cadence count up, defeat the hills, and start to extend my rides (I used to just switch by pedals from one bike to the other as needed). So... I'm about to order a pair of Shimano MT42's (they are on sale for $49.00) so I can ride and walk around the places where I do my local errands and a pair of Shimano A530 SPD sport/touring road pedals. But then I thought to myself, "self" would it be better to just suffer through the plain jane beginner pedals and use my money to buy a new pair of good road shoes for when I get my act back together?

I hate spending money so before I clicked the complete order button I should seek out saner advice.

Hope the post wasn't TMI

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,406,335 times
i would say after the year you had, buy whatever makes you happy and gets you back on your bike!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
i would say after the year you had, buy whatever makes you happy and gets you back on your bike!
Thanks, but between kids last year of college and paying off the med bills being out of debt would be a far happier set of circumstances.

Don't fear, SPD or No SPD, I'm back in the saddle.

But thanks for you thoughts.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Here's the problem, I have one hellish year of health problems, shoulder surgery, two extended stays at local hospitals for systemic infections and moderate case of high blood pressure that has resulted in periodic foot swelling, as a result I am flat out of shape. I have one sweet classic (15 year old Colnago Master Ti) road bike but road shoes that I can no longer wear due to swelling.

I live in an area with a lot of climbs so trying to rebuild an aerobic base is problematic. First solution was to turn my mountain bike into an urban terrorist machine which I ride for short trips to the local stores as the first phase of my rehabilitation. The problem is that the bike and I would be greatly enhanced by installing a clipless pedal system so that I can get my cadence count up, defeat the hills, and start to extend my rides (I used to just switch by pedals from one bike to the other as needed). So... I'm about to order a pair of Shimano MT42's (they are on sale for $49.00) so I can ride and walk around the places where I do my local errands and a pair of Shimano A530 SPD sport/touring road pedals. But then I thought to myself, "self" would it be better to just suffer through the plain jane beginner pedals and use my money to buy a new pair of good road shoes for when I get my act back together?

I hate spending money so before I clicked the complete order button I should seek out saner advice.

Hope the post wasn't TMI

Thanks
What I'm about to say is my opinion only.......

You spend a lot of time on clipless pedals which in this case is foolish since rehab is best done in street shoes on plain platform pedals that help you focus on the whole body without the risk of falling due to clipless pedals.

It is my firm opinion that clipless has a place on the race track but never on the street where they can ,and do, cause injury due to locking at the wrong time.

Yes, I know some riders swear by clipless but I see little to no advantage using clipless on the street. These pedals were invented for racing and racing is where they are best used.

Also.........
I was really kinda hoping that the dangerous clipless accessory would not come up for discussion anytime soon but I really knew that was to much to hope for. I really hate these damn things since I've seen what they can do to a rider that can't unclip fast enough to get clear of his bike. Not pretty...............

Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,406,335 times
i had a year similar to yours several years ago, so i can relate to the expense and starting over on my exercising, especially riding my bike. i finally got back on my bike and it has been a slow start over, but i would encourage you to get back out there and enjoy the ride!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
[i]What I'm about to say is my opinion only.......
And I appreciate you giving it.

Quote:
You spend a lot of time on clipless pedals which in this case is foolish since rehab is best done in street shoes on plain platform pedals that help you focus on the whole body without the risk of falling due to clipless pedals.
My training regime is based upon maintaining a highest cadence without exceeding a set heart rate. Maintaining a high cadence rate just an be done when power is only applied on the down stroke. And because I am concentrating on how my body moves on the bike being able to maintain an efficient posture on the bike which means placing more weight onto the saddle than the pedals. Plus it is a ***** to jumb shot elevations when you can get that lift from the vastus laerrallis and the rectus femoris.

Quote:
It is my firm opinion that clipless has a place on the race track but never on the street where they can ,and do, cause injury due to locking at the wrong time.
I've worn clip since 1972 when I would do intervals against cabs in mid-town Manhattan.

Quote:
Yes, I know some riders swear by clipless but I see little to no advantage using clipless on the street. These pedals were invented for racing and racing is where they are best used.
Some, I've never been on a group ride where anyone wasn't clipped in

Also.........

Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,370 times
I am a big fan of clipless, especially SPD's. I do not feel as comfortable or confident biking without them, especially on climbs. You have to get over the hurdle of getting used to them because they can be terrifying at first. But eventually they do get to be 2nd nature and you don't even think when clipping in and out, even in emergency situations.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
I've got a set from nashbar that is spuds on one side, platform the other.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
You have to get over the hurdle of getting used to them because they can be terrifying at first. But eventually they do get to be 2nd nature and you don't even think when clipping in and out, even in emergency situations.
I'm with you, talking about unsafe...anybody besides me remember using bird cages with cleated shoes and having to reach down and pop the strap release? Of course you could just use a cleat on one shoe, but then that's how I blew a sprint, back in the day.

Anyway, the question isn't to clip or not to clip, but which bike to clip into.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Hope the post wasn't TMI

Thanks
Those shoes look pretty flexible, better for walking than cycling. After a few miles I bet you will start feeling the cleat through the sole when you start putting a lot of force into your stroke. 10 years ago, I bought a similar pair of biking shoes (specialized rockhoppers) that cost around $70. I wore them once and now they are in their box on a shelf in the garage. I used to use road pedals (LOOK, Mavic, Shimano, etc.) I have several pair but eventually went double-sided spd, on every bike - tandem, road, mtn.

Shimano PD-M520 SPD MTB Pedals - Mountain Bike Pedals

See //www.city-data.com/forum/cycli...ur-stable.html

Double-sided so I don't have to fiddle with them to get them on the right side at intersections - in traffic. I also got the stiffest soled shoes, usually carbon - and I can walk in them very comfortably.

I rehabilitated a broken fibula on clipless pedals, I didn't worry about falling. I also didn't worry about my screwed-together ankle from moving out of line, because it was clipped in. It held it in place.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-15-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling