Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM

607 posts, read 2,371,914 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, think it's time to update the 25 year old bike I bought back in the day. I am looking for a bike with front and rear suspensions (pros/cons) and possibly disk brakes. I need help with choice of brands but don't want to break the bank. I just can't justify a bike that costs north of $400. Is there a solid choice that isn't overpriced? I am looking new and used. Don't want the walmart bike if I can help it. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,839,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Hey folks, think it's time to update the 25 year old bike I bought back in the day. I am looking for a bike with front and rear suspensions (pros/cons) and possibly disk brakes. I need help with choice of brands but don't want to break the bank. I just can't justify a bike that costs north of $400. Is there a solid choice that isn't overpriced? I am looking new and used. Don't want the walmart bike if I can help it. Any suggestions?
That is like asking which car to buy. Where are you riding? That determines if you need dual suspension or a hard tail. Why disc brakes? What brands does your LBS carry? TREK, Specialized, Cannondale, Bianchi, etc., Is $400 the max budget, or just the budget for the bike?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Fire roads, country roads. I have seen many brands lately and am trying to find the "best buy" based on the products out there. How would someone rank the quality of this list? Don't need the most expensive components, but just the all around quality of that brand.

Specialized
Mongoose
Trek
Giant
Schwinn
Diamond back
Jamis

I am hearing that all I really need is a front suspension (possible lock out switch), maybe disk brakes for better performance and now a 29er size tire instead of the old 26". I hear the disk brakes gets into the $500 range for openers.

How would you rank the quality of those brands listed?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,686,173 times
For fire roads and country roads you do not need full suspension.
Rear suspension comes at a weight and $$ penalty.
At $400-$500 you will not get quality disc brakes or rear suspension.

Most of the brands you listed make several models from cheap to higher end.
More important than rear suspension, disc brakes or "brand" is a good fit.
Go to your local bike shop and get a good fit.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,766,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
For fire roads and country roads you do not need full suspension.
Rear suspension comes at a weight and $$ penalty.
At $400-$500 you will not get quality disc brakes or rear suspension.

Most of the brands you listed make several models from cheap to higher end.
More important than rear suspension, disc brakes or "brand" is a good fit.
Go to your local bike shop and get a good fit.
This. For your purposes and $400 you can easily get a decent bike from a bike shop, properly fitted and assembled.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,163,205 times
If you're going to be riding only fire roads/country roads, a hybrid or cyclocross bike would be a better choice than a mountain bike. People have turned mountain bikes into utility bikes and they are far less "utilitarian" than the ones I mentioned. You can get a hybrid or cross bike with wider tires and aggressive tread that will be all you need for that type of terrain. A hybrid will have upright bars, a cross bike will have the drop bars. I suspect a hybrid would be your best choice. You can get a good hybrid for $500.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,858,391 times
I take it you want a full suspension mountain bike to ride off-road with some technical features?? Since your budget is relatively low for a new full suspension mountain bike with discs I would try to find a 3 or 4 year old used mountain bike in Craigslist already set up first with a better component level. If you wait a bit longer most bike companies will be introducing their 2014 lineups and this is when people start selling their bikes to make room for a new one! You can try calling a few local bike shops to see if they have used bikes or know of any from their customers. The low end bikes tend to have a very poor component level due to the price point and depending on where you ride and how you ride you can bust these very easily and it's going to cost you money buying components and/or getting service all of the time. If you're more of a once-in-while rider that rides on bike paths and/or flat dirt roads then you should be OK with a big box bicycle.

If you ride on the street and off-road think about a cyclo-cross bike. Also, you can stuff the widest off-road tires possible that will fit and voila.... you got yourself a monster-cross bike. You want suspension on this bad boy? Just air down your tires to a bit above the minimum psi to avoid pinch flats for off-road riding. You can pick up a 2nd set of wheels with road tires for street rides. It will only take you 2 minutes, tops, to switch out your wheels. A CX bike is so versatile: street riding, off road, commuting, bike touring, cyclo cross racing and monster cross! I love my Kona Jake the Snake. The 2014 has a carbon frame and discs!! SWEET!

Cheers!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 PM

So I have stopped at a few bike shops lately and saw Trek Mtn bikes of all price ranges. I saw 3 modles that may seem adequate for my and they were the Wahoo, Marlin or Mombo's. Anyone know about these 3 rides and what do you think. Which model would be best at that $500-700 range?

I didn't know about cyclocross??? or hybrids. Are these mtn bikes just with street tires on them? Or is there more to them than that?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,778,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
So I have stopped at a few bike shops lately and saw Trek Mtn bikes of all price ranges. I saw 3 modles that may seem adequate for my and they were the Wahoo, Marlin or Mombo's. Anyone know about these 3 rides and what do you think. Which model would be best at that $500-700 range?

I didn't know about cyclocross??? or hybrids. Are these mtn bikes just with street tires on them? Or is there more to them than that?
For fire roads and country roads, the difference in performance between any of those bikes is going to be negligible. They all have entry-level components, and for that type of riding you likely won't notice the benefit of the disc brakes. As long as you are using your LBS, any bike in that range will fulfill your needs and most importantly, will be properly and safely set up.

I own a cyclocross bike, it is essentially a bike with road bike geometry, except with a higher bottom bracket and knobby tires. I actually put slicks on mine, but previously I used it on fire roads/dirt trails to ride with my wife and niece & nephew. IMO, this will suit your needs better as you will be more efficient than the MTB-the weight, geometry and front suspension of a MTB will slow you down on smooth dirt terrain like fire roads or country trails. A full-suspension would be miserable.

Happy riding!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM

175 posts, read 596,028 times
family first,

I've been mountain biking for the past 10+ years and have a few lessons learned worth sharing. Everything has gotten more complicated with various categories and wheel sizes for bikes. Here's what you should know:

1) As a poster above noted, fit trumps everything. If the bike doesn't fit you won't enjoy riding and you may even hurt yourself (note - fit is a little different for almost every bike brand, a bike shop can explain this all to you. A large framed Trek may not be the same fit as a large size Specialized).

2) I and most riders will advise going with a hardtail (front suspension only) unless your budget is over $1,000. The reasoning, until you get to that pricepoint, dual suspenion components are cheap, heavy, weak and prone to pedal bob (think pogo stick) which makes riding less fun.

3) Mountain bikes are best for off-road riding on bumpy, dirt trails. They can go on pavement, but are not as efficient as hybrids. Hybrids are best for city paths on asphalt, but are capable of riding on packed gravel/dirt roads (not trails). Cyclocross bikes could be viewed in between mountain and hybrid with a little more off-road capability than hybrid but not well suited for more advanced mountain bike trails (fewer manufacturers/models).

4) My first bike was a Gary Fisher Wahoo (now owned by Trek). I have upgraded twice to better bikes, but still have this bike. It was a great first bike and can take a lot of abuse on the trail. The models you list have the exact same frame but part specs improve as you go up the line (you get better forks, shifters, brakes etc.). Typically budget determines componentry level. Better components are typically lighter, stronger, and function better = better ride = more fun.

5) Have you considered Giant? They are one of the big 3 (with Specialized and Trek). They seem to find a way (purchasing power) to spec entry level bikes with one level higher of components than the other manufacturers. I just bought the Revel 1 W for my daughter last weekend. It had better components than other brands at similar prices. I have owned all 3 brands - you can't go wrong with any of them.

6) Wheel size. It started with 26" wheels, then expanded to 29". The new thing is 27.5" (but these are mostly in higher end models for now, but are starting to trickle down to entry level). They all have different ride characteristics and which is best is often debated in magazines or on forums. IMO, newer riders can benefit from the larger wheel size (27.5 and 29"). If you've been riding for a while, you may want to stick with 26". Find a model and test all wheel sizes.

7) Disc brakes. If you can stretch your budget by $75, get them. Mechanical disc brakes are easier to maintain and don't rely on the wheel being true or clean to work optimally. IMO, they are safer and much better. Be careful working on them, they can bite.

8) Buying used. The best deal isn't worth anything if it doesn't fit right. Think $200 size 9 dress shoes for $20 dollars and you have size 10 feet (yes, one size can make a difference). You can tell a lot from internet pictures. Was it loved and cared for? Did they take the time to clean and detail it or is there mud all over it. You can weed out a lot of ads by fit and care. When you look at it in person, check the frame out meticulously. Any cracks, dents etc. Don't do it. There will often be chips and some wear on the chainstays and downtube. That's normal. You can tell a lot by talking to the seller about how they rode it and how they took care of it. Go with your gut.

9) Keep back $40 of your budget and buy and wear a helmet. I've replaced 2 in my lifetime when they cracked after a crash. Money well spent.

10) Have fun riding.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

Last edited by GoOutsideAndPlay; 07-23-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling