Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times

Advertisements

September 8 I am going to ride in a mountain bike race. It is a seven mile single lap race. I will be entering the beginners class, and I was wondering what I could to help me get ready?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
September 8 I am going to ride in a mountain bike race. It is a seven mile single lap race. I will be entering the beginners class, and I was wondering what I could to help me get ready?
Go ride the course until you know it.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
^ That and is it a group ride or time trial? If a group setup try and ride with other riders to get used to not having a line to yourself.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Go ride the course until you know it.
Damn good advice..........

Old 08-16-2012, 06:11 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
From my point of view, racing mountain bikes was more like doing road criteriums than road racing. It was balls to the wall right from the start until the field spread out. Unlike road racing which starts off slow and then unfolds over time. You have the opportunity to catch your breath in a road race, but mountain bike race was hard paced the whole time. Even the downhills were taxing.

Only downside to racing beginners is you don't know the caliber of people racing. This was a while ago, but I did some mountain bike racing in the beginners class that had raw beginners or people like me who raced elite level road racing and borrowed a mountain bike for the race. My bike handling skills stunk, I had ridden a mountain bike maybe 5-6 times in my life and I did it on a bike that belonged to a friend. Still came in third place overall despite the lack of training.

Riding the course if you can will give you a big advantage.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times
any advice on getting up the hills. I seem to loose some steam going up the bigger hills sometimes then I start pumping and my front tire lifts off the ground

Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Was a pretty decent climber way back when - lean back and put as much weight over the back wheel as possible. Start off in a smaller gear than you think you need. If you start off in a bigger gear and need to shift that throws off your rhythm and slows you down. Best advice I got on posture on the bike while climbing is to pretend that you are playing a piano, butt firmly planted in your seat and only using your hands to steer not pull on the bike. The other thing you need to do is make sure your pedals are spinning and you are not mashing them. Pedal in circles, pretend that you are scraping mud off the bottom of your feet while riding.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:37 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Don't forget your interval training to get strong. Put on the miles and go HARD during training!

Don't go 100% out of the start. You may bonk (this is where interval training comes in). Gradually pick up speed and finish strong! Don't position yourself any further back than the middle before the starting whistle blows. Closer to the front is the best. Head to the starting line before everyone else does. Remember, the sand baggers will position themselves at the very beginning . Since you're doing a beginners race some newbies may get nervous and stumble and/or tumble so if you're too far in the back behind them you're screwed especially if this beginner class is loaded with racers. Remember that proper hydration is the name of the game. Drink plenty of water/Gatorade before the race. Pre-race nutrition is also important (breakfast). I don't eat a heavy breakfast before racing. Take clif bars and eat one about 30 minutes before the race starts. Check your tire pressure before the race. Don't air-up to the max. Let out some air for better traction. Dial in the best PSI during your training and determine whats the best for the venue's course.

Good luck and report back.

Cheers!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
any advice on getting up the hills. I seem to loose some steam going up the bigger hills sometimes then I start pumping and my front tire lifts off the ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Was a pretty decent climber way back when - lean back and put as much weight over the back wheel as possible. .
If his front wheel is lifting off the ground leaning back will only make the lifting worse.

Slide forward on your saddle-shift your weight forward a bit. That's what the (saddle) nose is for. Everyone looses steam going up hill. Getting shape and starting in as high of a gear as you find works is the way to go. Learn to shift gears while peadling uphill, because you will want to drop a gear or two as you go.

How to shift while under pressure: as you shift pedal slightly slower than your speed requires until the shift is done. Practice, practice.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Don't forget your interval training to get strong. Put on the miles and go HARD during training!
Little late in the season for training and overtraining this close to race day could spell disaster.

I think the best advice was trying to get a few rides on the course.

Beginner road races scare the bejeesus out of me so I don't even want to think about a beginner mountain bike race. My advice is if you are fit enough get to the front to avoid getting caught in a group disaster, if you find yourself uncompetitive, do your best, stay away from groups with questionable handling skills and just have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling