Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ticket for moving around obstacles, or for staying outside the bike lane?
Video seems kinda silly, car lanes are full of obstacles too, does that mean motorist have the right to stay on the shoulder or in turn lanes in order to not have to deal with the occasional obstacle?
I think it was for getting ticketed for not being in the bike lane. If I recall, the original bicyclist was only in the "lane" for a minute or 2. Not like 4 miles or anything. Or even a full block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
That video is a real joke, first thing is the bike rider pointing out other violators of traffic laws. Then the running into the obstacles...get real, that is a fact of life, it's called traffic so ride safely around instead of acting the fool and running into them.
You completely missed the point of the video. The cyclist was given a ticket for not being in the bike lane*, since he had gone around an obstacle. The video was to show that's obviously not practical. Not sure why the context of the video wasn't obvious.

It's not actually against NYC law, that doesn't mean the NYPD doesn't give tickets for it. There was an earlier incident when a police officer parked his car in a bike lane and then ticket cyclists for going around his car and out of the bike lane.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
The cop car isn't breaking any law. Better read up on traffic laws.
Wrong. Unless there's a special exception for the police.

RULES OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK, § 4-08 (E)(9): ”IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO PARK, STAND OR STOP WITHIN OR OTHERWISE OBSTRUCT BIKE LANES.”

Cops in Bike Lanes

Old 05-22-2014, 05:23 PM

100 posts, read 269,810 times
wow Mack Knife, slow much? lol

Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
I can't believe how many people were recently able to get a DL with so little knowledge about cycling and laws. I mean, it's on the flipping exams! I know laws change State to State, City to City but the most basic of them are the same.

This thread is proof that even LE don't know all the laws much the less follow them.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,945 times
Quote:

Bike riders should have to register their bike and pay a road use tax like everyone else too. They should all have to have liability insurance as well.
You better read up on local taxes. Do you know what kind of taxes go to local streets (freeways and highways don't count because people on bikes are banned)? Property taxes, sales taxes, certain income taxes and some surcharges. And all people on bikes do pay them one way or another. It is the car drivers that are being overly subsidized. Wars for oil, obesity health costs, wear and tear from cars on roads, pollution, urban sprawl, and gas taxes haven't gone up in decades.

What mode of transportation kills 35K people a year (even by percentage) in the US?

Do you really think people on bikes need to register? By registering people on bikes, DMV would go broke. There's just not enough money to go into the system. Do you think kids need to register too? And what about how bikes get sold and bought all the time by the same owner within such a short period? Do you think DMV can handle that?

Last edited by ubringliten; 05-26-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 04:24 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,945 times
Quote:
What's your point?

Build better bike infrastructure, and apply laws to people on bikes and not to auto traffic laws.

People on bikes won't resort to riding on sidewalks and running stop signs.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:04 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,509 times
Must be a slow day for mack ... unless he never learned how to ride a bike, then it would be understandable. Next week it'll be baby strollers...

Old 06-01-2014, 06:36 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Bike lanes are death. I ride them due to law, but in my group ride yesterday I witnessed over a dozen cases of angry drivers nearly right-hooking cyclists.

Bike lanes should not exist. They were created for cars; not bikes. Bike lanes are the politician's way of saying "get the **** out of the way because cars are more important than you."

My commute is 7 miles. Half use bike lanes, half don't. The ride is less stressful in the non-bike lane portion. I practice vehicular cycling in the street where there are less obstacles and people see me.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Bike lanes are death. I ride them due to law, but in my group ride yesterday I witnessed over a dozen cases of angry drivers nearly right-hooking cyclists.

Bike lanes should not exist. They were created for cars; not bikes. Bike lanes are the politician's way of saying "get the **** out of the way because cars are more important than you."

My commute is 7 miles. Half use bike lanes, half don't. The ride is less stressful in the non-bike lane portion. I practice vehicular cycling in the street where there are less obstacles and people see me.
Vehicular cycling is for brave people who ride fast. Not for everyone else. Bike lanes are t perfect, but they establish space for bicyclists on the the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling