Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

no helmets, children and even adults standing up, carrying things way too big..I wonder how many are hurt or killed there riding bikes. Or maybe the culture is such that bike riders are given more respect than they are here?

https://www.facebook.com/bikemap/vid...2570161182647/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
no helmets, children and even adults standing up, carrying things way too big..I wonder how many are hurt or killed there riding bikes. Or maybe the culture is such that bike riders are given more respect than they are here?

Ever been to Amsterdam?

They are vicious!

Bicylists will run you over if you happen to set one toe in their way. I've seen them run into elderly folks who weren't fast enough to get out of their way.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:

Cycling death rates are very very low in the Netherlands. Far lower in the US. Two big reasons: dedicated infrastructure and a traffic culture where the driver is always at fault and should drive carefully to protect the vulnerable road users.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Here is a good overview.

A view from the cycle path: Just how safe are Dutch cyclists and Dutch cycle paths ?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
What defines Dutch cycling? Minimum size 62cm, of course :-)

Seeing someone ride through Amsterdam with a Dyson (the vacuum cleaner) in the box balanced on the handlebars was really something.

Helmets seem to be a mostly American obsession, outside the US almost no one who isn't racing wears one.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
What defines Dutch cycling? Minimum size 62cm, of course :-)

Seeing someone ride through Amsterdam with a Dyson (the vacuum cleaner) in the box balanced on the handlebars was really something.

Helmets seem to be a mostly American obsession, outside the US almost no one who isn't racing wears one.
My Serotta is a 62cm

Old 07-28-2015, 03:58 PM

698 posts, read 588,075 times
Quote:

Having lived there for several years, the main difference is that cycling is just a matter of fact daily part of life. No helmets, no spandex, people ride practical bikes made to ride upright and carry packages, not some wanna be Lance Armstrong race bikes with the hunched over riding position that are made for sport.

If I wanted to pick out one thing that I think typifies Dutch cycling, it is the sight of an adult couple on one bike one riding on the seat and the other on the handlebars or sitting crosswise on the rear rack, wearing normal everyday clothing talking on cellphones and maybe even smoking a cigarette while going out on a date.

Everytime I see a pack of doughy, middle aged men wrapped in spandex riding in packs on American streets I just laugh at how ridiculous the cycling culture in the United States really is.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:42 PM

102 posts, read 181,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post

...Everytime I see a pack of doughy, middle aged men wrapped in spandex riding in packs on American streets I just laugh at how ridiculous the cycling culture in the United States really is.
Why denigrate American cycling culture?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Having lived there for several years, the main difference is that cycling is just a matter of fact daily part of life. No helmets, no spandex, people ride practical bikes made to ride upright and carry packages, not some wanna be Lance Armstrong race bikes with the hunched over riding position that are made for sport.
From the video, it is a lot slower and more utilitarian than in the US. The dress seems appropriate for short urban riding in moderate temps. Correct, it is more of a sport here, and it would be miserable to go out and get 60 miles in when it is 102 degrees without the appropriate technical apparel. And speaking for myself, it just wouldn't happen.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:38 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
oughy, middle aged men wrapped in spandex ... I know, how ridiculous looking. I notice people in other countries ride bikes in their normal clothes while (guessing) 90% of people in the US tend to wear special biking clothes... maybe the marketing folks have more success here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling