Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times

Advertisements

So I passed by my LBS and saw the new giant escape 3. Pretty good looking bike and its very light for what it is. Now I'm not much of a bike rider but I want one for the summer to be able to ride to/from the park by my house and to the gym rather than driving and looking for parking.

My questions are:

1. Is this a decent bike for a non serious rider like myself who would only use it for leisure? Its priced at only $360 and figured it must be bottom of the barrel components for that price.

2. Is it reliable?

3. Can it be upgraded with folding pedals and a quick release for the front wheel so that I can place it in the trunk of my car when need be?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 03:15 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,405,550 times
i think you will enjoy the bike and it should be very reliable. i bought the giant cypress dx a couple of years ago and have had one issue with the seat post and it was fixed under warranty. i ride 20-40 miles on weekends and i use a bike rack for hauling to the trails. i don't have my garmin handy, but i figure i have over 1500 miles on the same tires and chain, but i am getting ready for a tune up before summer. i needed the softer ride that came with the shocks on the front forks and seat post, because of some health issues.

i have several bikes of different makes and giant is a good brand in my opinion. just about any bike at an lbs should be reliable, but don't expect the $100 bikes at the box stores to be very reliable or dependable.

before my health crisis, my daily ride was 30 miles on a carbon fiber road bike, i miss those days.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
I don't know that model and didn't look it up. But most any bike at an LBS should be fine for your purpose (assuming the destinations aren't 50+ miles away with tons of potholes over those 50 miles). The LBS should stand behind the bike and support you if anything fails within an unreasonable amount of time - that's why many buy with an LBS so make sure you get a good feeling from that one.

The questions you have can be asked of the sales person. A good LBS salesperson should be honest about the answers. There is no need to lie - if it's not what you are looking for, they can show you something else that fits your desires.

I'd ask them and take the bike on a test ride - ride it for a long time, not just a couple circles in a parking lot.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling