Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 PM

427 posts, read 1,223,897 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if a master list exists that has all of the rails to trails in the country broken down by state and length? If one doesn't exist I'm wondering if we could formulate our own in this thread. I've been on a few over the years and they've all been great. They have quickly turned into my favorite places to ride, so naturally I'm curious how many there are in the country and where they're located. I'm particularly interested in the longer trails, say minimum of 100 miles in length. It's hard to find info on them though, outside of the handful that are popular. I know there has to be some hidden gems out there that I'm unaware of, so any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 01:30 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Natchez Trace Parkway

444 miles of history - you'll thank me if you haven't already traversed it.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:36 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Natchez Trace Parkway

444 miles of history - you'll thank me if you haven't already traversed it.
That's a vehicle motor way originating from a trail, not a trail originating from a rail line (I guess you can bike it however).

OP are you looking for specifically bike or walking trails? This might be a good site:
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy - Creating a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and building healthier places for healthier people. | Rails-to-Trails Conservancy

Old 06-23-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's a vehicle motor way originating from a trail, not a trail originating from a rail line (I guess you can bike it however).

OP are you looking for specifically bike or walking trails? This might be a good site:
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy - Creating a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and building healthier places for healthier people. | Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
When I asked I was looking for specifically bike trails but come to think of it I'm not opposed to seeing a list of walking trails either. I enjoy a nice hike from time to time also.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
That's a vehicle motor way originating from a trail, not a trail originating from a rail line (I guess you can bike it however)...
It's excellent for biking, as commercial traffic isn't allowed.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:

I had some time to look through that site and I just wanted to say thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for, as it has trails broken down by state and you can filter the results by trail length. Perfect. As good of a find as that site was however, I was disappointed as it looks like I've already been to most of the longer trails that exist both in my region and the entire country. I wonder how exhaustive the results on that site are? I was hoping that I would find some long trails that I've never been to but apparently there just aren't that many. Looks like I have a newfound appreciation for my state as we apparently have one of, if not the best, rails to trails in the entire country. I had no idea. I just figured that every state had a long bike trail, but only a few truly do.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It's excellent for biking, as commercial traffic isn't allowed.
How light is the traffic exactly? Are we talking like you only see 1 car per hour or something? It actually looks interesting. I'm extremely biased toward rails to trails bike paths cause there's no traffic, unless they cross a road at an intersection. I've had too many near misses and know too many people that have been hit before that I try to avoid roads at all costs. Fortunately for me near where I currently live there are some nice bike paths that have very limited or no interaction with vehicle traffic.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:30 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Here's a link for the East Coast:
East Coast Greenway » Maps and Cue Sheets

Also, you might find some info on MTBR.com forums, but that is a mountainbike site, so you'd have to filter a lot of rugged dirt trails out. They do have a comprehensive list (by state) of almost all MTB trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling