Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:27 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Thanks. Then handle bars on the Nashbar can't be adjusted without an extender. Do you know by looking at it if the seat can be adjusted without buying another part?
On that green Nashbar bike you link to, both the height of the handlebars and seat can be adjusted. Can't really tell from the web page photos because they will present the bike so that it appears most attractive. It looks like the bars are about as high as they can go. That shouldn't be a problem because they are already pretty high in comparison to the saddle. The saddle definitely has a height adjustment. Couldn't tell you how much higher it can go without actually looking at the product. It can certainly be adjusted lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
They are very similar and have similar or the same components. The only real difference I can see is that the seat tube is taller on the SE/Amazon bike than on the Nashbar bike. You will be sitting more upright on the Nashbar bike and leaning very slightly forward on the SE/Amazon bike.

But, there should be enough slack that they can be set up the same. How tall are you? And, I guess more importantly, what's your favorite color? Don't disregard personal preferences.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,469 times
Quote:
Thanks. Then handle bars on the Nashbar can't be adjusted without an extender. Do you know by looking at it if the seat can be adjusted without buying another part?
The seat can be moved up and down, it has a quick release at the bottom so pretty easy. The Amazon looks pretty close to the same. Both can have the seat height adjusted easily enough. The handlebar stem can be reversed to give you a different height on both. Something I doubt you'd need. That bar is pretty much where most folks will want it. I agree color is something to think about. Otherwise these look the same.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:13 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
I personally do not trust adjustable handlebar stems. The tension is held with detents, and a nut/bolt, to keep this device- which holds, supports, a percentage of your total body wieght, all while dealing with riad imperfections, bouncing it up, and down. It's a weakened stress memeber of the bike.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:22 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,071 times
I've been buying from Bikes Direct for close to 10 years. They're a great company to buy from. Make sure you know what size bike you need hough, as you can't sit on it beforehand. They're also very good at answering any questions you may have. As you go up in price on their bikes, the components get better, but that is not anything to worry about anyway. Any good bike store type bike will have perfectably good components on it. You won't be racing it. I have never had a component fail on any sort of bike in over 30 years of riding. Just stay away from the Big Box bikes and you'll be fine.

The Bikes Direct bikes you linked to on your post are near the bottom of their lines. If you go up another $100 you'll get better tires, a lighter bike, and have the possibility of getting one w/ a suspension front fork. I'm a big believer in those vs a rigid fork. The suspension adds a little weight, but it makes the bike much safer on the roads. Having the suspension absorb the shocks of a pot hole or a big rock will make the bike a lot safer and more stable to ride.

Adjustable stems are fine on a comfort bike. The idea is to have a much more upright riding position, and you won't be putting much pressure on the bars. Simply changing to another type of handlebar w/ a higher rise works too, but an adjustable stem allows you to fine tune how the bike fits you. If you can't get the bike to fit you comfortably, you won't be happy riding it. Often it takes a few weeks of tweaking things to get them where you like them, and anything you can adjust and move around is a good thing.

Myself, I much prefer those handlebars that are swept back for street riding on a comfort bike or cruiser, not straight across like a mountain bike. They're much more ergonomically correct. If you simply drop your hands to your sides and raise them up, notice how they naturally are angled. Now twist them to fit a mountain bike handle bars and you'll see that your shoulders and elbows twist out to an unnatural angle.

Last edited by smarino; 07-29-2016 at 08:36 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 08:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

Myself, I much prefer those handlebars that are swept back for street riding on a comfort bike or cruiser, not straight across like a mountain bike. They're much more ergonomically correct. If you simply drop your hands to your sides and raise them up, notice how they naturally are angled. Now twist them to fit a mountain bike handle bars and you'll see that your shoulders and elbows twist out to an unnatural angle.
I agree about the swept back bars. I had a bike with straight bars and didn't feel great after about 15-20 minutes. OP is aiming for 1-2 hours of riding (give or take). You want more places for your hands. So look into switching. You can also get drop bars. Not all swept back bars give you more hand positions. But the default is more comfy for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling