Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 7,757,140 times

Advertisements

I have 2 bikes I'm considering but don't know how to pick according to which has the best components and things like that. I just know what rides good.

I probably will ride the bike 20 miles 3 times a week mostly on more level paved bike paths or streets.

Save up to 60% off new Comfort Bikes - Dawes Eclipse 1.0

or

Nashbar Flat Bar Women's Road Bike

Does the 1st bike have any better components than something I'd find at Walmart or any other big box store. I am trying to go one step up over big box but want to stay around 250 range...maybe up to around 300.00. Nashbar bike is on sale today so it would be around 300.

Thanks for any advice on these 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 12:57 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
The Nashbar link doesn't work. Can you fix and I'll take a look at it?

First impression of the Bikesdirect bike is that the component set is pretty low quality, but I have to believe it is better than anything from a big box store. Biggest problem with either a big box store bike and a Bikesdirect bike is that you don't have any 'technical' support. Also, you'll have to do final assembly of a bike from Bikesdirect.

If you know bikes and can work on them, then a Bikesdirect bike is fine. I have two of them, both on the higher end of what they offered in the past. I purchased them because the component set alone was worth the price.

- - -

p.s. I went to Nashbar myself and most of their links to the bikes on sale don't work. They must be having a problem today. If I were you, I wouldn't order without knowing what you are getting. In other words, if you can't see the specs on the bike, you won't know what you are getting. Caviat Emptor applies here.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The Nashbar link doesn't work. Can you fix and I'll take a look at it?

First impression of the Bikesdirect bike is that the component set is pretty low quality, but I have to believe it is better than anything from a big box store. Biggest problem with either a big box store bike and a Bikesdirect bike is that you don't have any 'technical' support. Also, you'll have to do final assembly of a bike from Bikesdirect.

If you know bikes and can work on them, then a Bikesdirect bike is fine. I have two of them, both on the higher end of what they offered in the past. I purchased them because the component set alone was worth the price.

- - -

p.s. I went to Nashbar myself and most of their links to the bikes on sale don't work. They must be having a problem today. If I were you, I wouldn't order without knowing what you are getting. In other words, if you can't see the specs on the bike, you won't know what you are getting. Caviat Emptor applies here.
Thanks.

Here is another link. Try this.

If you just do a search for Women's Flat Bar Road bike, it's come up in the search. Are those components better than what's on the bikesdirect bike? I have no clue. No, I don't work on bikes but don't mind taking it to a bike shop or letting my brother take a look at it.

Actually I've ridden the Nashbar bike and really liked it....smooth ride and gears were smooth. I thought though if the bikesdirect bike was comparable and since it was only 220.00, I'd just get that one.

Thanks for taking a look.

I just checked my email and had asked the guy at bikesdirect about the bike and told him I was trying to decide and doing research. I had also asked him about the Womens Dawes Wendy Flat Bar Rd. Bike. He responded with this:

Hello,

This bike... http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_552051_-1___ It's a the same bike as the Wendy, but with cheaper cranks.

There is a simple truth about how most high grade road and mountain bikes are built. However, dealers and brands try to hide this from customers. Most road and mountain bikes sold in the USA are made in Asia by 'factories' which you have probably never heard of. Such as IDEAL who builds for Fuji, Kestrel, Trek, Motobecane, BMC, Dawes, Terry, and many others.

Another common 'factory' is Merida who builds for the likes of Specialized, Jamis, Mercier, Felt, Bianchi, and many others.
What is interesting is that these 'factories' in most cases only do assembly. They buy everything on the bike from subcontractors who make assorted parts of the bike. Then the 'factory' just applies decals, assembles, and boxes the bike.

In the case of the frame, several frame shops in Taiwan and China build road and mountain frames for many high end brands. Frame builders like Kinesis, A-Pro, and Astro build frames for brands like Fuji, Trek, Motobecane, Specialized, Felt, Dawes, Bottecchia, Bianchi, LiteSpeed and dozens of others. In fact, several 'Italian' brands buy frames in Taiwan or China and ship them unpainted to Italy; then paint and decal them - mark them 'Made in Italy' and sell them for rather high prices.

The other important components on the bike are the same from brand to brand. That is Shimano pieces and so forth. And many times the 'branded' parts such as stems, bars, and even wheels are all made in the same factories in Taiwan. For example, Ritchey, VeloMax, Bontrager, American Classic, and many other have wheels built in Taiwan or China (including the rims and hubs and final assembly).

Rebranding is common in the bicycle industry (just like in most other consumer products - think of DVD players, TVs, and even shoes). So a smart consumer can get the best value by not paying much attention to the decal on the downtube - and focus on the bike, the fit, and the price (and the discount).

If you have anymore questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-15-2016, 03:46 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
The components on the Nashbar bike are better than those on the Bikesdirect bike. Even though it is slightly more expensive, you will be getting a better bike. At the lower end of bicycles, it is really true that "you get what you pay for". When you get into higher spec'd bikes, you basically pay more for less weight. For casual riding, you need not worry about that.

On Chris' e-mail, it's just a self-promotion sales job. Nothing wrong with that and pretty much of what he says is true. If I were you, for your stated purposes, I'd get the Nashbar bike. You've ridden it and liked it, so why not. It's not worth saving what little you will for an unknown. If you don't like the Bikesdirect bike, what are you going to do? Take it apart, box it up, then return it?

I have nothing against Bikesdirect and own two I purchased from them, one a high end carbon 'racing' bike that came with the highest component group available, same as in the professional peloton, (Shimano Dura-Ace). The other bike is a carbon time trial bike. (I have eleven bicycles and some of them are worth more than my car.)

Old 07-15-2016, 04:21 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
At that price point I would go with the Nashbar. They and Performance have pretty good customer service and prices. Fortunately we have a Performance locally and I wouldn't hesitate buying a bike from them at this price point or even higher. But just know that at $300, componentry is not a priority, well, nothing really is. But if you don't have a local bike shop to go to, NASHBAR/PERFORMANCE would be my choice.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The components on the Nashbar bike are better than those on the Bikesdirect bike. Even though it is slightly more expensive, you will be getting a better bike. At the lower end of bicycles, it is really true that "you get what you pay for". When you get into higher spec'd bikes, you basically pay more for less weight. For casual riding, you need not worry about that.

On Chris' e-mail, it's just a self-promotion sales job. Nothing wrong with that and pretty much of what he says is true. If I were you, for your stated purposes, I'd get the Nashbar bike. You've ridden it and liked it, so why not. It's not worth saving what little you will for an unknown. If you don't like the Bikesdirect bike, what are you going to do? Take it apart, box it up, then return it?

I have nothing against Bikesdirect and own two I purchased from them, one a high end carbon 'racing' bike that came with the highest component group available, same as in the professional peloton, (Shimano Dura-Ace). The other bike is a carbon time trial bike. (I have eleven bicycles and some of them are worth more than my car.)
Thanks so much!!! Your post has really helped. I am going with Nashbar.

Crazy prices I've seen for bikes. 3-5,000.00. That's crazy. I can see though if you biked a lot, you'd want a really good bike that doesn't break down It might be worth the cost if you're on it a lot. :-)

Old 07-15-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
At that price point I would go with the Nashbar. They and Performance have pretty good customer service and prices. Fortunately we have a Performance locally and I wouldn't hesitate buying a bike from them at this price point or even higher. But just know that at $300, componentry is not a priority, well, nothing really is. But if you don't have a local bike shop to go to, NASHBAR/PERFORMANCE would be my choice.
I wish we had a Performance near me in Charleston, SC. That would be great!!! I looked at their website and saw a Fuji bike I liked but they would only ship to their store. Another bike was the same so unless you live near one, you can't get them to ship to your house. Darn.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:07 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,234 times
Yeah I'd go with Nashbar for the peace of mind. They are easy to work with I've always found. As to the bikes, they are about the same looks like to me. The comfort does have an adjustable stem which may or may not come in handy, depending on fit. For me it would probably come down to weight. Either way, have fun riding!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Yeah I'd go with Nashbar for the peace of mind. They are easy to work with I've always found. As to the bikes, they are about the same looks like to me. The comfort does have an adjustable stem which may or may not come in handy, depending on fit. For me it would probably come down to weight. Either way, have fun riding!
Thanks. Then handle bars on the Nashbar can't be adjusted without an extender. Do you know by looking at it if the seat can be adjusted without buying another part?

Old 07-16-2016, 02:46 PM

Anyone know if these 2 bikes are exactly the same?

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A6Y8EA3VZD1DF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling