Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 07:20 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times

Advertisements

Or would he have hit you? You have the right of way. As a vehicle, the cyclists was not "taking the lane." the lane was already occupied. If a pedestrian runs out in the middle of traffic, does the pedestrian have the right of way? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 01:41 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sitting at stop light in my car at busy intersection on a major blvd,im in the right turn lane with turn signal on, light turns green and i start making the right turn when all of a sudden theres a bicyclist speeding straight through the intersection on my right side,had i not been quick to jam on the brakes i would have hit him. Was wondering had i hit him who would have been at fault.
Right turn only lane, bicycle at fault. Through lane gets a bit more ambiguous. As described probably still the cyclists. What you see a lot though is right hooks where a car passes a bicycle and then turns across the lane in front of the cyclists, which would be the drivers fault.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:49 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
In our area bicyclists are suppose to stop and walk their bikes across the intersection when safe to do so.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:53 AM

287 posts, read 211,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
In our area bicyclists are suppose to stop and walk their bikes across the intersection when safe to do so.
Which area is that? I ask because that notion seems outdated. Thanks for any additional info...

Old 07-09-2019, 11:41 AM

5,324 posts, read 3,207,883 times
Yeah I would have to disagree with the earlier posters and the true answer will probably lie in your state's statues.

In NC a bicycle is entitled to the entire lane on a road and is supposed to follow all signage and signals. It also means if you are driving a car you can't simply buzz them when you pass them, you have to yield the entire lane (in other words pass them like you were passing a full size vehicle).

Old 07-09-2019, 02:56 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It is not legal to ride on the sidewalk with a bike after a certain age in most places
That is NOT the case in most places. In Virginia where I live it is the case only be explicit local ordinance. In Arlington all sidewalks are open to cyclists, and in Alexandria only a few blocks in the most pedestrian heavy part of town are not open to cyclists.

However at an intersection a cyclist entering from the sidewalk should exercise care to not enter too fast, as right turning cars are expecting pedestrians in the crosswalk - even runners are not going much faster than 6 or 7 MPH usually. I prefer generally to take the lane behind the cars, filtering left if safe to do so.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Right turn only lane, bicycle at fault. Through lane gets a bit more ambiguous. As described probably still the cyclists. What you see a lot though is right hooks where a car passes a bicycle and then turns across the lane in front of the cyclists, which would be the drivers fault.
Generally a cyclist taking the lane should be in the right most through lane at an intersection.

There are places where that is not possible. Example the street is approaching what for cars is a t intersection, so there is a right turn only lane, and a left turn only lane. But across the street is a place open to bike but not cars - a big pedestrian plaza, or a one way street with a contraflow bike lane, or whatever. In that case I WILL line up in the right turn lane and proceed straight. I don't think I would be ticketed for that. Of course I will not filter around right of the cars in that case, I don't want to be right hooked.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have to agree with the others here and say that pedestrians and bicycles have the right of way BUT what a jerk that bike guy was to give you such a fright. The bike should be on the lookout for people that might not see him. He was coming up behind you, he could see your indicator and instead of slowing he risked his neck trusting that you would see him before turning. That is a dumb way to ride a bike because you are always going to lose in a crash. Once the pieces are picked up and bones set and healed you might win your day in court but why not ride a bit more defensively in the first place to avoid a crash?

Those bike guys can be a real menace.
This. Place yourself in a reasonable place in line with the rest of the traffic and proceed. As a daily cyclist I concur that this guy was a bloomin' idiot. I would never, ever, ever do that! I would not even feel safe doing it. Very dumb!

Old 07-10-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It is not legal to ride on the sidewalk with a bike after a certain age in most places
I ride on the sidewalk every day. Been doing it for a long time. And all the sidewalks are ramped for miles.

Someone pointed this out above.

Here it's just safer. And there aren't many other cyclists. I have seen two other cyclists all week. A bazzilion cars though.

It's not just the state, it's your location. There are no bike lanes around here. I would be taking my life in my hands on these busy suburban roads.

I also try to respect pedestrians, most are cool once in a while I get do I belong on the sidewalk and I tell them to call the police to check. it's very rare though.

There are very few pedestrians though. I deal with only a few a day.

(I keep wondering when I am going to be taken into a giant Audi spaceship......)

Last edited by Digger 68; 07-10-2019 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Generally a cyclist taking the lane should be in the right most through lane at an intersection.

There are places where that is not possible. Example the street is approaching what for cars is a t intersection, so there is a right turn only lane, and a left turn only lane. But across the street is a place open to bike but not cars - a big pedestrian plaza, or a one way street with a contraflow bike lane, or whatever. In that case I WILL line up in the right turn lane and proceed straight. I don't think I would be ticketed for that. Of course I will not filter around right of the cars in that case, I don't want to be right hooked.
Yeah, common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling