Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:34 PM

287 posts, read 211,767 times

Advertisements

My original post and this entire thread have been about cyclists endangering themselves and others by not following the rules of the road. When you took issue with my post, and referred to "inconvenience" I naturally assumed you were another scofflaw. My apologies if your post didn't mean what I thought it meant, but you have to admit, in context, it was a reasonable assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
My original post and this entire thread have been about cyclists endangering themselves and others by not following the rules of the road. When you took issue with my post, and referred to "inconvenience" I naturally assumed you were another scofflaw. My apologies if your post didn't mean what I thought it meant, but you have to admit, in context, it was a reasonable assumption.
I think I already pointed out why I do not filter to the right of cars about to turn right.

The issue of people saying its okay to inconvenience people on bikes, because they are out for exercise, goes far beyond that in my opinion. I have heard it in regard to bike infrastructure, in regard to bike rights on the road, rights for ebikes, etc. Its a problem that some people do not think of bikes as an actual means of transportation - and do not realize that to encourage more biking we need to make it more convenient, including making it possible to get places more quickly.

Oppose filtering right of a right turning car because getting right hooked is a serious danger, and because either waiting in line vehicularly or carefully filtering left is a preferred option.

Do not oppose it because "we don't need convenience, we are out for exercise"

Its possible to want the right thing, for the wrong reason.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM

287 posts, read 211,767 times
It seems as if you've been triggered by something you heard, but I never said. Up to the point where you first mentioned your personal issues, this thread was about observing laws (or not) and assigning fault. You can't blame me for not seeing into the future or for misdiagnosing your personal issues with convenience, so please stop trying to.

Last edited by Bruceski44; 07-16-2019 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 02:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
This is another symptom of our illogical nature: go for a bike ride (for the exercise, presumably) but keep it as easy as possible, even if it puts you or others in danger.

This is what you said. Its not illogical to choose a shorter but more dangerous route because I am riding a bike.

Its not illogical to ride in the road, when I could ride at 3 MPH on a sidewalk with pedestrians.

And no, its not illogical to safely proceed through a stop sign at moderate pace, having checked for cross traffic, including of course any pedestrians (as is now legal in Idaho, Delaware, Arkansas, and Oregon) in order to avoid losing momentum (and there are definitely times and places where doing that, or even proceeding through a red light after stopping, can be safer for a bike rider than obeying the law)

Am I "triggered" I dunno about such modern turns of phrase. I engage in bike advocacy where I live (do you?) We have a place where we are trying to support a road diet, that among other things would create bike lanes. We hear from the antis "Why don't you just take your bike to one of the trails to ride it?" "I don't hate bikes, I AM a cyclist, but I would never ride around here - I put my bike in the car and drive it to a better place for riding"

The positioning of biking as a "hobby" is harmful, IMO. Its a mode of transportation. Some people ride purely for recreation, and people who bike to get places benefit their health, but its a mode of transportation, for which convenience and speed are legitimate concerns.

Convenience is not my personal issue. Its central to making biking a more important accepted mode of transportation. An urgent quest in many cities and suburbs, where biking is part of the tool chest to reduce driving, reduce emissions, and make our places more viable.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:19 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sitting at stop light in my car at busy intersection on a major blvd,im in the right turn lane with turn signal on, light turns green and i start making the right turn when all of a sudden theres a bicyclist speeding straight through the intersection on my right side,had i not been quick to jam on the brakes i would have hit him. Was wondering had i hit him who would have been at fault.
if there is a bike lane, and you are turning right, shouldnt you be blocking the bike lane while waiting to turn right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling