Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 AM

7 posts, read 45,649 times

Advertisements

Phoenix or Dallas?
We may have the opportunity to move to one of these locations. We have lived in several states including living in Dallas. My favorite place was San Diego. My husband is a Texas native and would chose Dallas because it's familiar (no family there anymore - they are in Utah now) and the low cost of living. I am leaning toward Phoenix because of proximity to San Diego and dry climate.

We want a nice suburb with affordable housing and great schools. It would be nice if there were lots of things to explore and see. We have lived through many hot summers and have found them tolerable, but wonder how hot and humid compares to just plain scorching? Are the kids bored over summer, staying out of the heat or are there cool indoor water parks, etc. (Pehaps both places would be equally uncomfortable?) Also, we are more liberal than we used to be and are agnostic. I know you can't stereotype a whole city but we don't want our kids to be labeled and everyone likes to have some like-minded individuals to understand each other. Schools? Other considerations?

Any input would be very appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 AM

325 posts, read 757,098 times
I have relatives that live in the Fountain Hills area northereast of Phoenix. Weather wise, you get used to the dry heat. Everything else, wouldn't consider it anymore. We previously looked at moving there (Tempe and Mesa areas), but fortunately things didn't work out (would have been right before the housing market collapsed, so we would have taken a bath). School districts are declining as tax dollars decline. Border and drug related crimes are increasing even faster. The housing market still hasn't bottomed out. And if you think longer term, drive by Lake Mead sometime and see just how much the water levels have declined in the last 10-20 years. With Central California agriculture vying for water, that could start becoming an issue in the not too distant future. And are they still building that ridiculous Waveyard waterpark out in Mesa? Yeah, makes lots of sense to put a huge waterpark in the middle of the desert. Even though the rest of our relatives are in Southern California, I'm still going to move to Dallas next year, no consideration of Phoenix again. Flying to San Diego from DFW is a 3 hour flight vs. 90 minute flight from Phoenix. No big deal. If you want to drive, well, day and a half vs. 8 hours (with both having stops in those wonderful meccas of tourism, Yuma and El Centro). Unless you find a really good foreclosure deal in Scottsdale or Paradise Valley, Dallas is probably a better bet. IMHO for whatever that's worth....

Last edited by mikeh19468; 06-26-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 07:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
don't know that much personally about Phoenix market/area but have read about those same negatives...

Old 06-26-2010, 04:41 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,899 times
I'm from San Diego and have been in Dallas for 2.5 years (+2 more in Austin). I can tell you that we're strongly considering a move to Phoenix. I just can't take the humidity (among other things, like the lack of stuff to do that the coastal regions have - at least in Phoenix I can do lots of San Diego three day weekends. In Dallas you are pretty much trapped here). I understand the humidity is not that bad if you're from Florida or Houston, but I'd recommend visiting first and seeing what you think.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Where ever you can find a job.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:01 PM

200 posts, read 548,402 times
I lived in Phoenix(Scottsdale) for four years and Dallas for 3 years. They are both very good but in different ways. I personally prefer warm weather over cold weather so both areas are very good to me compare to any place with heavy snow in the winter. The lifestyles are very different.

Phoenix: Frequent weekend roadtrips to LA, Sedona, Flagstaff..., etc. We also go hiking in some mountain trails. It takes about 5-6 hours to drive to LA. Housing is very expensive...

Dallas: There are no mountains or beaches nearby. But we save enough to fly to San Diego, Orlando, and other international locations 1-2 times every year. I enjoyed my two years in LA but I don't miss the costs. I now have a family and Plano is a great place to raise kids and save money.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 45,649 times
Thanks for the info guys. I have lived in Dallas (before school age children) and wasn't wowed. I loved San Diego and thought I'd like Phoenix more than Dallas for it's dry climate, Santa Fe-styled homes, and closer to SoCal. BUT, I've never been to Phoenix only stopped by the Grand Canyon on a trip across country one August. What if I didn't actually get to San Diego that often...Would there be lots to do closer to Phoenix? How do schools compare?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I would sum it up like this:

Phoenix has more to do outdoors and is closer to other places that have lots to do outdoors. Phoenix is also more laid back.

Dallas is a much more international city has better eating, nightlife, and is slightly (I say slightly because both are suburban in nature) more urban. The economy is also more diverse and doing better in Dallas.

I like Phoenix ok, but I prefer Texas. Either way, there are lots of places that I would prefer Phoenix to. Its a decent enough place.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 AM

23 posts, read 42,233 times
Lived in Phoenix for 7 years and am moving to Dallas....

Hated Phoenix - just tried to stick it out and finally gave up. Incredibly hot weather, people are rude, traffic is terrible, no jobs and no entertainment.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Americca View Post
Lived in Phoenix for 7 years and am moving to Dallas....

Hated Phoenix - just tried to stick it out and finally gave up. Incredibly hot weather, people are rude, traffic is terrible, no jobs and no entertainment.
I dont know that the traffic is any better here. Its also very hot here. However I have found the people to be pretty nice, the economy is relatively good, and Ive never been bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas