Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
It got to 85 degrees in Atlanta yesterday with a low of 70, and the highs have been in the 90's all week. Make no mistake about it. Atlanta gets very hot. Hence the nickname, "Hotlanta."

Your friend must be a reptile.

No actually, he's quite a sweetheart. He thinks like you do though, "Get over it." Actually, he lives in Marietta, but I doubt that makes much difference in the weather. He has lived there for 10 years and never has it been over 100 degrees.

Yes, it does get hot, he says it does, but he is also a native Texan (doesn't act it though) and said the weather there is much better than it is here. It doesn't last forever like it does here.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

No actually, he's quite a sweetheart. He thinks like you do though, "Get over it." Actually, he lives in Marietta, but I doubt that makes much difference in the weather. He has lived there for 10 years and never has it been over 100 degrees.

Yes, it does get hot, he says it does, but he is also a native Texan (doesn't act it though) and said the weather there is much better than it is here. It doesn't last forever like it does here.
What I meant by saying he must be a reptile, is that he must have a hard time getting hot. I know for a fact that Georgia's heat is not as bad as Texas', but I wouldn't argue that it's much better (this past Christmas in Georgia was a humid hell). In my opinion, while their heat might be better, their weather is not. Though it's of little importance, I prefer the distinction of four seasons and I don't know any city in the south that has that feel. If Texas could stay very cold in the winter with snow, and the fall could keep its crisp air, I wouldn't mind the hot summer.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 AM

25 posts, read 97,212 times
The so called "heat" in Atlanta is for a very short duration. Here it is in early September and the lows are already in the upper 50s in the suburbs of Atlanta and in the low 60s at the airport. In many Septembers, the temperatures never make it to even 90 in Atlanta. Dallas is still sizzling hot...still mid and upper 90s...still lows hovering near 80 on many mornings. Even in July and August those conditions are rare in Atlanta. On the once in a decade event when Atlanta does reach 100, it makes for the top story on the local news. Out of the 365 days, only about ten days out of the year are hot in Atlanta...about the same as New York. Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, New Orleans....have to put up with misery for about 100 days a year. As for Christmas being "humid"....come on, stop complaining. It's amazing how people just complain about nothing. The dew point measures the amount of moisture in the air. If you understand that number, you will realize Atlanta is not humid. Your sunglasses do not fog up here. It has also been as cold as THREE degrees on Thanksgiving Day here and ZERO on Christmas.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 PM

115 posts, read 541,436 times
What Is The Summer Weather Like In Both Areas? Is The Humidity Badd?

Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Summer temperatures in Atlanta are regulated by the altitude (1,000 ft above sea level) and tree cover. The humidity also plays a factor. Dallas on the other hand, is still humid, but a little less so than Atlanta; and for that reason, the it gets hotter than Atlanta. Also, Dallas summers last about 4 weeks longer than Atlanta summers, with summer in Dallas arriving 2 weeks before Atlanta summers and ending 2 weeks after Atlanta summers.

The winters between the two cities are fairly comparable, although Dallas's winters are shorter, but a little colder (weird, isn't it?). Dallas is more likely to get snow and colder daytime temps than Atlanta because the air is drier, but at the same time, spring arrives in Dallas about 2 weeks earlier than it does in Atlanta.

These are all minor technicalities and basically the weather between the two cities is a wash. You'll have to visit both during the summer and winter to get an idea.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:08 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
The weather will also vary depending on where you live in either Dallas/Ft Worth or Atlanta. Both metros cover huge areas and there can be big temperature differences during fall, winter and spring in northern suburbs of either compared to the big airports where the official temperatures are recorded.
I live in a far northern suburb and we'll get more freezes that can occur later into spring (and begin earlier in fall) than those recorded at the airport or city further south.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM

36 posts, read 236,302 times
We moved from California to Georgia, and we are very happy here, we can’t imagine living any place else. I think it depends what kind of experiences you have and if you are looking at the glass half empty vs. half full. We have kids and our priority are the kids. We live in Dacula which is a very nice place to race your family, the schools are great, the houses are nice and affordable and like somebody mention before I was surprise that I could send my 4 year old to school just paying his lunch to a private pre-k for 1 year. before we move to Georgia we went to Dallas 3 different times, let me tell you we LOVE it, the people were very friendly, the roads were wide, the houses nice, the buildings big but, when we asked about car/home insurances and taxes, that was the end of it. Property tax is 3% vs a little bit more than 1% in Georgia and car/home insurances are cheaper here too + when you get to retiring age most counties will cut your taxes in ½ but that will depend on where you stand in life. For us,was very important. There are some things that are obvious no matter were you go but try to be positive and you will be happy no matter were you are. I ask every body how they like Georgia and 99% of the responses are" they love it". Maybe I haven’t met that 1%

Make it a great day!!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
Default response

Wow, as someone else stated earlier, this is a great thread here!
Everyone is polite and considerate of each other
I was born/raised in N. Dallas, and have visited ATL, and as far as beauty of the city, Atlanta is up a notch. Dallas definately has more freeways to get around town, and the traffic seems to go smoother during the daytime where in ATL, there can be backup in the middle of the day for no apparent reason.
BTW, I know the population of DFW is around 4 million or so? What is Atlanta metro pop?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Wow, as someone else stated earlier, this is a great thread here!
Everyone is polite and considerate of each other
I was born/raised in N. Dallas, and have visited ATL, and as far as beauty of the city, Atlanta is up a notch. Dallas definately has more freeways to get around town, and the traffic seems to go smoother during the daytime where in ATL, there can be backup in the middle of the day for no apparent reason.
BTW, I know the population of DFW is around 4 million or so? What is Atlanta metro pop?
Metro Atlanta = 5.1 million

DFW Metroplex = 6 million

Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish72 View Post
The so called "heat" in Atlanta is for a very short duration. Here it is in early September and the lows are already in the upper 50s in the suburbs of Atlanta and in the low 60s at the airport. In many Septembers, the temperatures never make it to even 90 in Atlanta. Dallas is still sizzling hot...still mid and upper 90s...still lows hovering near 80 on many mornings. Even in July and August those conditions are rare in Atlanta. On the once in a decade event when Atlanta does reach 100, it makes for the top story on the local news. Out of the 365 days, only about ten days out of the year are hot in Atlanta...about the same as New York. Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, New Orleans....have to put up with misery for about 100 days a year. As for Christmas being "humid"....come on, stop complaining. It's amazing how people just complain about nothing. The dew point measures the amount of moisture in the air. If you understand that number, you will realize Atlanta is not humid. Your sunglasses do not fog up here. It has also been as cold as THREE degrees on Thanksgiving Day here and ZERO on Christmas.
Then why do they call it, "HOTLANTA"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas