Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 20,952 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Dallas and will be working close to Fair Park. Can anyone recommend a nice apartment complex nearby? I am willing to commute 20-30 mins to work if there are no options closer to my work. I am looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom in the $600-$800 range. I am in my early 30's and my boyfriend is as well. We are not into the bar scene, so we are looking for more of a quaint area to live. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Fair Park itself is pretty safe, but the surrounding areas are not so much....

In your price range, I would recommend the "Village" apartments. It is large development about 15 minutes north of Fair Park in the area east of 75/Central Expy bordered by Lovers Lane, Skillman, Northwest Hwy, and Greenville. There are many different apartment complexes there towards the higher end of your price range for a 1br. It is safe, close to highways and other retail (NorthPark Mall, Super Target, a new WalMart/Sam's/JCPenney that will be built next year, plus grocery stores, restaurants and other every day needs. All the complexes share a "country club" with gym, tennis courts, fields for soccer, jogging trails, and several lakes & ponds.

The easiest way to get to Fair Park without taking a highway is to go straight down Abrams, left on Munger. This is maybe a 15-20 minute drive, much faster moving than taking Central during rush hour!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Thank you for your input. I truly appreciate it!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
How quaint? There's the Marquis on Gaston which is really close - also many lofts around Deep Ellum and Expo Park - which is very close to Fair Park and considered a cool extension of Deep Ellum - named for Exposition Avenue. There are many small apartment complexes, duplexes, fourplexes etc. around Old East Dallas, Junius Heights, Cochran Heights/Vickery Park off Henderson and around Lower Greenville Avenue. Also some renovated mid-century modern small garden complexes on Gaston - check out Power Properties.

I live in Junius Heights Historic District and can get to Fair Park in five to ten minutes.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
Since you mention quaint which I take as small and intimate - look into Power Properties - they have many options and locations, but all convenient to Fair Park.

There are lofts in Expo Park which runs along Commerce and Exposition from Parry to Main/Canton.

More loft style apartments in Deep Ellum which is between Expo Park and downtown. And a new apartment building on the Dart Rail called Ambrose.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 AM

Thank you both for the info. I will definitely look into the areas you mentioned.

Maybe quaint is not the best choice of words...I am looking for something that may be within walking distance of some coffee shops or restarurants....something that is in a safe area, not necessarily an apartment complex. I am open to duplexes/fourplexes, etc. Do you recommend looking on Craigslist for these types of places?

I don't know a thing about Dallas, except for the location of my new job. So, any recommendations on areas to live is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,466,359 times
Look over in deep ellum. Its about a mile away and its a nice neighborhood. I lived in a loft there for 2 years and loved it.

http://www.dallas-downtown-lofts.com...fts/index.aspx

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amialky22 View Post
Thank you both for the info. I will definitely look into the areas you mentioned.

Maybe quaint is not the best choice of words...I am looking for something that may be within walking distance of some coffee shops or restarurants....something that is in a safe area, not necessarily an apartment complex. I am open to duplexes/fourplexes, etc. Do you recommend looking on Craigslist for these types of places?

I don't know a thing about Dallas, except for the location of my new job. So, any recommendations on areas to live is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks again!
In that case, Power Properties' apartments (they are small complexes, maybe 10-50 units each) along Gaston are a great choice. Many are walking distance (just a few blocks) to Lakewood Shopping Village which was developed in the 1920s and has a few laid back bars (not a "scene" at all), great locally owned restaurants, Starbucks, a brand new Whole Foods, and some other stores. It's a 5-7 min drive (again, down Abrams, left on Munger) to Fair Park.

Deep Ellum is another good pick, but depending on how used you are to urban areas, you may or may not like the look of it.....but it is safe and super close....like you could walk to work if you lived on the east end of Deep Ellum / Exposition Park area and worked at the Women's Museum or something on that end of Fair Park.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
Look in Deep Ellum. It will more like urban living if that's ok. There's a building at 3200 Main St that has loft apartments; not sure of the name. Murray St Coffee Shop is right there. A short walk down the street is the All Good Cafe - great food! Monica's for Tex-Mex. Lots more restaurants.

Mozzarella Cheese Co and Rudolph's Meat Market are also w/in walking distance. Dallas Farmer's Market is also a short drive away.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amialky22 View Post

Thanks again!
Yes, Craig's List is a good way to go, too for Old East Dallas. Just be sure to check the Dallas PD's "Interactive Crime Map" (you can google it) because that area of Dallas is very "block by block"....there are million dollar mansions on Swiss Avenue one block from seedy crackhouse apartments. I am a single female early 30's and would personally live over there if I could (I work too far north and west of there to make it happen), but you do need to be careful about which neighborhood you end up in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas