Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 10,178 times

Advertisements

I have never lived in Texas or anywhere near the state itself. I have been offered a job in Greenville, TX. Any suggestions on where to live? I am a typical 25 year old single girl that loves people, arts, parties, soccer and shopping. I love the big city life; however, I realize that living in the downtown Dallas would be too long of a drive to work (is that correct?!). Some places that were suggested to me are Garland, Rockwall, and Rowlette. Which city would be more suitable? Could I live in any of these cities and still enjoy the big city life? Which city/area has the most mass of single people…foreign people….how about Nepali people? Any answer would be appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
The big question is how long of a daily commute are you willing to make? That will determine where you live! (I guess you're going to work at Raytheon...?)

Rockwall is the closest, but it is much more of a family town than a singles town. It also has very few foreign people. Rowlett and Garland are further away from Greenville and even more family-oriented. Garland does have some international areas, but they are on the North side.

You might consider Denton. The commute along 380 wouldn't be horrible and since it is a college town, there are more single and international people.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:49 PM

6 posts, read 38,999 times
Default How about McKinney?

McKinney isn't a bad option either. It is an easy drive across 380 to Greenville and a much bigger city than Greenville. Or somewhere around Lake Lavon would be nice.

Chad
Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-09-2007 at 07:22 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I'd go w/ Rockwall or Garland. But the part of Garland you would want to be in is going to be the farthest, the Northeast area around Firewheel. You will find more professional singles in this area of Garland of all origins/races. There are a few (few key word here) apartments/condos along the I-30 corridor in Garland that are suitable but they do exist. Some of these woudld be right by the lake. For these look just off of I-30 at Zion to the North (not the South). Rockwall would be next and you might check along the new development on the lake by the movie theater/marina. Rowlett is going to be more family oriented and a lot less young singles. If you want to stay in the Dallas area near a lot more young professional singles and don't mind a bit of a commute then I'd stay close to I-30 in the Lakewood area. This would keep you fairly close to I-30 w/o being right on top of it in not the best areas but would put you in close proximity to lots of night life and singles.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Default Re:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest ... maybe Greenville, TX?

It's certainly not big-city life. But if you live in the suggested cities, you're going to get a suburban lifestyle, which, as a young single female foreigner, probably isn't your cup of tea, either.

Why subject yourself to the daily beating of a lengthy commute? You would be better served living right by your job, and planning to spend the weekends socializing in the big city.

Another choice might be Commerce, TX. It's about 15 miles from Greenville (the wrong way, unfortunately - away from Dallas). This town has a mid-sized branch of the Texas A&M system, with some graduate programs, so it might have a critical mass of people your age and educational level.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM

150 posts, read 857,911 times
Default I'd say no to McKinney

While it may be considered an "easy" commute by some, it still takes almost an hour to get to Greenville. I live in McKinney and considered a job in Greenville at the hospital. Yes, they have 4 laned part of 380 but the speed limits are enforced and part of 380 isn't 4 laned so getting stuck behind someone doing 40 is a frustration I'd soon do without. Greenville is growing, maybe not to the extent of McKinney but certainly an improvement over what it was 20 years ago. I would think the rental rates would be significantly lower in Greenville than McKinney or Dallas. And although a drive into Dallas for a social life could present a problem if you like to drink and socialize, I think I'd rather live closer to where I work 5 days a week than a place I'd visit 1 or 2 nights a week. But then, I'm not 20 something. That's just my 2 cents regarding McKinney.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 18,858 times
I would suggest living in Greenville to stay close to work. Greenville has a few of the convinences of a larger city but the good thing is Dalllas and Rockwall are a short drive down I-30. (about 30 min) Housing costs in Greenville are much less expensive than in areas such as Mckinney and Dallas. The drive on 380 from Mckinney is going to get worse due to the pending road construction begining soon from Princeton to Greenville on 380 which will last for a couple of years.
For the single life Dallas is only about an hour away to the West End or other areas for singles.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 21,255 times
i have worked in greenville before and had to travel. i hated it. if i still worked there, i would have to live near rockwall. it is about 30 min from greenville

Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 6,447 times
my wife and I are considering retiring to Greenville.....looking for small acreage ( 2-10 ). Is it a nice town, near plces to do things - golf, restaurants, movies, etc.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:01 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
You really should have started a new thread since your question is very different...

Greenville is OK, but it's not all that great. Amenities such as restaurants are very basic. I think there might be one golf course in town. If you need anything beyond that, you will be driving to Rockwall.

Honestly, you'd do better to live closer to Rockwall. The housing is a little more expensive than in Greenville, but you can still get a nice place on a couple of acres for a reasonable price, especially if you get out of Rockwall ISD and go into Royse City or Hunt County. Rockwall has tons of restaurants, shopping, several very nice golf courses, etc. Plus you are close to the lake and the neat Harbor development. There are lots of retired people there, including my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas