Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcox View Post
One additional question for the group ---- if you are comparing living around Lemmon and Oak Lawn vs. closer to Harry Hines blvd. would this relatively small distance have much of an impact on commute time up the Tollway? Or perhaps better said or there any streets or entrance ramps where the group could recommend I live no further south than to make the commute north easy or am I overthinking this? Is it going to be about the same as long as I am not to far east of the Tollway regardless of where I am north/south in the Oak Lawn / Uptown area?

Thanks for everyone's help ---- just trying to avoid a situation where living a half-mile or mile in the wrong direction greatly impacts commute (there are a few places like this in Atlanta).
The difference between getting onto the Tollroad at Harry Hines or Wycliff (where you'd get on if you lived in the North Oak Lawn/ Lemmon & Oak Lawn area) is negligible....1-2 minutes of drive time on the Tollroad. The on-ramps don't get backed up at all.

Basically, Harry Hines is the southern-most on-ramp because the Tollroad starts where HH & a ramp from I-35 merge. Anywhere you live in Uptown/Oak Lawn, you're either going to use the Harry Hines, Oak Lawn, or Wycliff exits, each about 1/2 mile apart.

The only place you don't want to live is west of the Tollroad or in the triangle bordered by Cedar Springs/ Oak Lawn/ Tollroad....sketchy-ville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 04:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhenry4 View Post
Yes. For example, from the Whole Foods on Lemmon at the Tollway, you can get on to go North, but to go south is another matter.
Clearly, you don't know Dallas AT ALL because the Lemmon entrance is for SOUTH-BOUND only. There is no NORTH-BOUND ramp at Lemmon.

Quote:
I lived at the eastern end of Legacy & the commute to Downtown Dallas was torture (50 minutes either way).
But it's not 50 minutes either way. It was 50 minutes for you becasue you were commuting DOWNTOWN, with traffic. A REVERSE commute (which OP would be doing) is 25-35 minutes MAX.

Quote:
You can rent a house for under $2000.00 if they like you.
OP is young and single....why the heck would you recommend renting a HOUSE in the family-friendly, suburbia that is Plano???

Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcox View Post
TurtleCreek 80 ---- thank you very much for your help so far. I have read various other threads and posts on the site, including some of your own with suggestions on actual buildings to live in.

What insight could you offer on buildings to rent from owners in the Uptown area? I am a 31-yr old male, looking for a nice, 2 bedroom condo, with easy access to the Tollway, but also in a walkable area. If I go the apartment complex route, do I need to worry about bldgs that have high student-populations?

What 5-digit zip code areas should I be looking at? I would like to stay around $1,500 to $1,600 a month, but could go higher for the right place.

Will definitely check out North Oak Lawn as you suggested. I'm sold on the Uptown area now ---- appears commute is very manageable, and perhaps most importantly, very consistent as far as time.
The Uptown/Oak Lawn 'hoods sound perfect for you. I agree with TC80, skip suburbia. If you want to restrict your search to condo buildings at which you could rent from a private owner, following are a few suggestions. All would be easily accessible to the tollroad:

3110 Thomas Ave. (aka Block 588 Lofts) in State/Thomas section of Uptown: 2BR's are going to be over $2000/mo. 1BR units should be around $1600/mo. One of the best locations in Uptown.

2323 N. Houston (aka Terrace Condominiums) in Victory Park section of Uptown: 2BR's are going to be $1800/mo and up. 1BR units should be around $1500/mo. Near AA Center for sports/concerts. Numerous restaurants within walking distance.

3225 Turtle Creek (aka The Renaissance) on gorgeous Turtle Creek Blvd: 2BR's are going to be $1700/mo and up. 1BR units should be $1000 - $1500-ish. This may or may not matter to you, but this is a HUGE building (600+ units). Beautiful location close to everything.

In order to get a 2BR at a lower price, you're probably going to have to look at the typical rental communities as opposed to condos. PM me if you want details on specific availability at any particular condo buildings.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Outside of near downtown, your first northbound entrace to DNToll is Wycliff, as is your last exit. Should you access this from North Oak Lawn on the east or Maple/Med on the west of the entrance will make little difference in your commute. The next north bound entrace/exit I believe is near Mockingbird.

As TC80 states, the Lemmon ramps are downtown access only.

As far as the Oak Lawn community, it does have an abundance of gay influence. However, much and eventually all of Oak Lawn is under renovation and eventually trend itself into a high dollar highway into Highland Park.

As poster advise, you won't go wrong with Oak Lawn or Uptown. I would only advise that north/west of the tollroad will be subject to moments of silence as jets patrol the landing path to Love Field.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:22 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
How far away from 75 are you working on Legacy? If you are close, I'd consider skipping the Tollway and taking 75--cheaper and the traffic really isn't bad when you are going against traffic. It takes about as long as TurtleCreek quoted for the Tollway drive. This also opens you to renting in the M Streets--you can EASILY find a very nice 2 bedroom place for that budget. Lower Greenville & Knox/Henderson provide plenty of nightlife within walking distance and Uptown is just on the other side of 75

Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,358 times
Default OOPS re: NB Tollway @ Lemmon

Sorry, I gave bogus info- Northbound- no entrance at Lemmon - just south.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
The area west of Cedar Springs and North of Oak Lawn going up Maple, is changing fast - lots of new projects going up from the Trammell Crow Comapany's redevelopment of the old Parkland Hospital up past the new Parkland Hospital. Some of that is also convenient to DART rail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: