Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:

The homes were mainly built from 1970's-1990's, a fairly unfortunate period of "suburban" architecture
Very true, but if you are looking in Lakewood and the Park Cities, I'm guessing you have the budget to look on the higher end of Coppell homes...and you will find some gorgeous custom work there.

I know more than one person who grew up there and immediately moved back because they couldn't imagine living anywhere else. It is a very close knit community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
That's what I keep telling him. His colleagues say there is not much to Coppell (just neighborhoods, you have to go elsewhere for arts/entertainment/restaurants/shopping) and that the homes are older. I take it with a grain of salt, though, because most of these folks live in Allen, Plano, Frisco (far from Irving, where my husband will be working).

We head to Dallas this Saturday and will be there for a week. Looking at Park Cities, Southlake, Coppell, Lakewood areas.

So glad to hear something good about Coppell. That is probably my second choice if only considering public schools.
When we moved here last year we were in the same boat as you, looking for high academics except that my budget was under 350K. My son was in gifted program and high performer at national level.

I suggest you take appointment with the counselors of all the schools you shortlist and take your kid along with you preferably when the schools are running. We rejected a so called highly rated school because the school counselor refused to give an appointment until we actually bought a home in that area (all other 4 high schools we shortlisted gladly provided us the time to meet). I also had the opportunity to go to all these schools in their Registration Information Night and meet different teachers and parents/students. This happens sometime in Feb/ March.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
Another factor you should consider is the overall benefits and positive economic impact some areas might get due to the "DFW Connector project". Your commute to Downtown/ Las Calinas/ Irving will be further reduced from a lot of suburbs from this project. If you like a school or area, just don't disregard it due to the comments from a few on the long construction time and resulting bad traffic- Its not true. This project has a requirement of maintaining the existing capacity during peak hours of 6 AM to 8 PM and weekends and events like Superbowl. Most of the construction is done during the night. This project is designed to double the existing traffic capacity and will be a boon to the nearby areas. I will DM you a link providing the status and details on this work from the folks who are actually constructing it.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,576 times
Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions!

adixyz...Unfortunately this preliminary visit coincides with winter break so we won't be touring the schools. My daughter has a winter break in March, and then spring break in April, so at some point we will be touring a very short list of schools.

mSooner/TurtleCreek80...Coppell is still very much on my list so it is one of the areas we will be looking at. A sense of community is very important to us, even if it is at the expense of traffic or getting on highways. Right now we live in a similar area here in GA (having to get on the highway or major roads to get just about anywhere) so Coppell doesn't sound like it would be much different.

SMS...if we go the private school route, we wouldn't be spending more than $450K on a home. That pretty much rules out Preston Hollow and Lakewood. We would probably be buying somewhere in Irving or north Dallas (outside PH though). If we decide Park Cities is for us, then obviously our home budget would be double that. But as very practical people we wouldn't be spending top dollar on a home plus top dollar on private schools!

This move is really stressing me beyond belief. My main concern are my kids: they have never moved before; at 10 and almost 13 years old they have fairly established friendships; they both are in smallish school environments perfect for their needs. My son tested into the gifted program...at the magnet school that already is for gifted children. He requires an accelerated curriculum in math and science. My daughter is the artsy/language arts one, but also strong in science. She attends a private school with an excellent middle school program and environment. She has tested into a well-regarded talent identification program every qualifying school year and will be taking the SATs for the first time in January. Worrisome to me is that the move means she will be entering the last year of middle school in a completely new environment.

A top academic program is a must.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM

85 posts, read 217,519 times
Consider Southlake. Since your husband will be working in Irving, that commute won't be at all on 114. Right now, there's lots of traffic, but once construction is completed, it should be much better.

Carroll ISD is right up there with HPISD as far as public school districts go.

As far as I know, it's really tough to get into the private schools mentioned above. Most of the attendees are money-folks who have given a ton of money to the schools over time, and are firmly entrenched in the area. Not to say it's impossible, but the odds are stacked against you.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
^ 3 years of horrible traffic on 114...Southlake is NOT that great. Everyday in that mess...not knowing what lanes changes have been made etc...
It drives me crazy and I only drive it about 2x a month...nerve wracking and stressful!!

For Public schools and your commute...As others have said Coppell is the best bet.
NO Coppell has no "shopping" and very little entertainment..it has chain resturants etc.. Typical Suburbia. GREAT shopping is very close... Grapevine Mills is about 15minutes away (straight down Sandy Lake) Southlake TownCenter is very close and so is Plano etc...
Downtown Dallas for the Arts is very easy to get to..

Plano would be another one to consider. Again top notch public schools and has everything you need.

So, yes drive around see what you like etc...
Weigh in what you do as a family. Do you go every weekend into the city and go to museums, musicals, shoppping, resturants?
Or..are you mostly staying around home busy with kids activites, sports, band , choir etc... and end up in hte city only once in awhile for special events.

When we re-locate (about every 5years on avg) we make a huge Pro/Con list. It really helps.

Good Luck.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
My son tested into the gifted program...at the magnet school that already is for gifted children. He requires an accelerated curriculum in math and science. My daughter is the artsy/language arts one, but also strong in science. She attends a private school with an excellent middle school program and environment. She has tested into a well-regarded talent identification program every qualifying school year and will be taking the SATs for the first time in January. Worrisome to me is that the move means she will be entering the last year of middle school in a completely new environment.

A top academic program is a must.
When we were considering a move to Houston, I didn't just look at the ratings of the schools, but the AP course offerings because my son is heavily into math and science. I wanted him to be in an environment where his peers would have the same interests. The only schools I would consider were those that offered AP Physics C, Calc BC, Stats, etc...and where the students were actually prepared to take these tests.

I found this to be a better potential fit for the actual academic interest of my son. Your kids seem to have some specific interests beyond just normal academics. Go farther than looking at certain school districts, focus should be on individual schools and feeder patterns to provide for long term goals.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
moving kids is hard... we too moved my eldest daughter during the middle of her 8th grade year.
She was very involved in Tennis and that was one thing I looked for a middle school with a tennis team and close to a good Tennis program. It really helped her from day 1 to be in a "group" with similuar intrests.

My middle one is my "gifted" kid DUKE TIP etc... she choose not to go the "gifted route this time, (she didn't want to be labled!!ha) instead she is taking all pre-ap classes now in 8th grade and alos taking the SAT this spring. She has made great friends in Soccer.

Quote:
Go farther than looking at certain school districts, focus should be on individual schools and feeder patterns to provide for long term goals.
Excellent advice

Your son sounds like he would be very happy in the Dallas Science Math magnet so look into that as well
for the future (he's 5th grade right?)

Old 12-21-2010, 11:09 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
When you are in Coppell, drop by the Community Recreation Center and see all the kids....you'll get a good flavor of the community. If you are really considering it, it is a must see.

Private schools: Greenhill and Parrish

Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 PM

155 posts, read 502,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
When you are in Coppell, drop by the Community Recreation Center and see all the kids....you'll get a good flavor of the community. If you are really considering it, it is a must see.
This is a good suggestion. I would recommend driving by Andy Brown Park and the Aquatic Center in Coppell to get a feel for the community. Dinner at Animia's would also be a nice stop. I know previous posters have commented on the age/style of the homes here, but in your price range you would have some very nice options. I'd check out the Springs (on Bethel School Rd.), Magnolia Park and some of the neighborhoods along Deforest. Those would give you some nice custome home options in the $600k - $1mm range.

You've got several great options on your short list, but if your husbands job is in Irving (assuming Las Colinas) the commute from Coppell would be hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: