Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 PM

477 posts, read 1,051,433 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Hockaday or Ursuline Dallas, but my vote would have to go to Ursuline as I am a 4th generation Ursuline from New Orleans, which was founded in 1727 and is the oldest girls school in the country. If Ursuline Dallas is anything like Ursuline New Orleans, it's an exceptional education steeped in history. I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockadaisy View Post
Hockaday is a stronger school that Ursuline overall, and it is often ranked higher than Ursuline in polls (though it doesn't make private school listings because of its boarding department). It has a great reputation with colleges and a strong college counseling department. EDS is somewhat incorrect relative to sports- Hockaday consistently beats Ursuline in Lacrosse and Soccer, is strong in Golf, Cross Country and Field Hockey (which Ursuline does not offer) and track, though it recently has been weak in Basketball, Volleyball, Softball. The school also offers fencing, crew (fall and spring) and swimming. Depending on which sports and which seasons, students may play three sports without any problem as Hockaday participates in the SPC. Many Ursuline sports are year round, in contrast.
As a 3 sport varsity athlete at Hockaday who will be playing college sports, Hockaday has done great things for me and has great resources (many of Ursuline's sports don't even have fields to practice on)
Hockaday also has strong fine arts departments and wins awards for many, including the Newspaper and Literary Magazine (Fourcast and Vibrato, respectively) which often win prestigious Columbia Scholastic Press Gold Crowns
I recently spent the day at Ursuline and think that the campus at Hockaday is actually prettier and that the classrooms are much more friendly
Hockaday has more free time in the day which mean that students have lots of time for extra activities and for doing homework at school. It is very easy to meet with teachers as well.
I don't think Hockaday teaches the SAT, in fact, almost all students attend College Prep schools or have private tutors to prepare for it. Many also take the ACT. Still, through out the Hockaday curriculum (which requires four years of English) students are well prepared for the tests
I'm a proud Hockadaisy who thinks that Ursuline is just a tiny step down. Read my upcoming article in our school newspaper, the Fourcast, about it at hockadayfourcast.org
Firstly, congratulations on your successes.

Secondly, maybe a full one-third of your claims about UA v. Hockaday sports are either mostly or completely incorrect. For example Hockaday does not consistently beat UA's varsity soccer team. By the time it's all said and done maybe half of UA's 2013 team will play in college. Not to mention UA has won 23 5A TAPPS soccer titles in a row, the next longest title streak anywhere is 11 and that's long over.

In TAPPS 5A over the last 54/55 weeks or so UA has won:
2 state soccer titles
1 basketball title
1 golf title
1 swimming and diving title
3rd place volleyball during season plagued with injuries - one top level player missed the entire season

Thirdly, I'll stand by my claim that Hockaday has to some degree over-focused on the SAT and especially the PSAT. To their credit it seems they have decided to ease back a bit. FWIIW in part I got that notion from two long time Hockaday educators are good friends of mine, one I've known for 25 years. My daughter was accepted to Hockaday. We live about 1,500 feet from Hockaday and we give a tad bit of money to the school every year - I am a big fan of the school.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
I don't know anything about Hockaday or Ursuline Dallas, but my vote would have to go to Ursuline as I am a 4th generation Ursuline from New Orleans, which was founded in 1727 and is the oldest girls school in the country. If Ursuline Dallas is anything like Ursuline New Orleans, it's an exceptional education steeped in history. I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.
UA Dallas is a good bit younger being founded in 1874 - the kids love it. Hockaday is a fantastic school but different. HS is much smaller per grade on a big beautiful newer campus. UA sits on less land and they've maintained the school's old facade which must have been built in the '30s or so but many UA classrooms are just a couple of years old. It's interesting that we have these two great girls schools about two miles apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas