Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,143 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Young married couple (20s) looking for a great place to live in the DFW area. From what we've found we'd probably want to be in the mid-cities? Grapevine, Carrollton or Irving(Las Colinas) area seems to make the most sense as hubby will be working in Westlake. We were pretty sure about Grapevine until we heard today that they still allow smoking indoors there. Is that true? I get violent headaches when I'm around smoke. So whats the point of being close to downtown restaurants if you'd never be able to eat at one b/c of smoke? We're really open as far as where to be but would like to be close to shopping and restaurants so we're looking for a cute downtown area. Also - it looks like my work will take me somewhere in the Plano/Garland/Dallas area, so we need something between Westlake and points east. Any advice is most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarLily View Post
Also - it looks like my work will take me somewhere in the Plano/Garland/Dallas area, so we need something between Westlake and points east. Any advice is most appreciated.
You need to narrow down where you will be working and live close to the job. DFW is a HUGE metro area, and there is no reason to have a lengthy commute because there are good places to live all over the area. Even Plano and Garland are big geographically!

As much as I love Grapevine, you do NOT want to live here if you will be working in Plano or especially Garland. VERY lengthy commute and the only really direct route is a toll road, which will get expensive.

Yes, SOME restaurants in Grapevine still allow smoking. Its mostly the ones that have a bar and stay open late for the bar. The ones that serve food more than drinks do not allow smoking anymore. I've begged my friend on the City Council for Grapevine to pass a smoke-free ordinance, but she says the places that still allow smoking really want to keep it. Oh well. There is a state law proposed to outlaw smoking in ALL places indoors, so let's hope that passes!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Flower Mound might be a good choice. Easy to get to the freeway so you can get to Plano / etc, and close enough to Westlake.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Addison still allows smoking so don't go there.

I don't think the city of Dallas allows smoking indoors anymore.
http://www.dallascityhall.com/pdf/eh...eStandards.pdf

Old 02-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Dallas restaurants don't allow smoking anymore. I think that was passed 4-5 years ago. The ones in Grapevine that do allow smoking are really only a few, and they aren't really known for their food: Wilhoite's, Back Porch, etc. Even Bone Daddy's is smoke-free.

Flower Mound is a decent medium between the two places. So is Lewisville, which has better access to George Bush Tollway which wife will need to get to Garland. If the couple is looking to start a family soon, I'd recommend FM. As someone with no kids, I would be absolutely insane there since almost everything there seems to involve children...

Old 02-05-2011, 04:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
check a map and the freeways
the 114 is the way into Westlake--
it is under construction now and a beast to drive when it is dark
agree that if you are going to be doing lot of commuting to points east you should relocate more that way
Las Colinas has sort of upbeat/upscale entertainment (bars/restaurants) and the Irving schools in that area are good--
Flower Mound is more residential and has very good schools--there are ways to get to freeways from Flower Mound and commute to Westlake is not that bad either

You would not take the George Bush to Garland -- but use it to access other freeways

Old 02-05-2011, 05:07 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarLily View Post
Hi there! Young married couple (20s) looking for a great place to live in the DFW area. From what we've found we'd probably want to be in the mid-cities? Grapevine, Carrollton or Irving(Las Colinas) area seems to make the most sense as hubby will be working in Westlake. We were pretty sure about Grapevine until we heard today that they still allow smoking indoors there. Is that true? I get violent headaches when I'm around smoke. So whats the point of being close to downtown restaurants if you'd never be able to eat at one b/c of smoke? We're really open as far as where to be but would like to be close to shopping and restaurants so we're looking for a cute downtown area. Also - it looks like my work will take me somewhere in the Plano/Garland/Dallas area, so we need something between Westlake and points east. Any advice is most appreciated.
From DC or Rosslyn, Chevy Chase or Bethesda? If you're used to walking through Dupont or Georgetown, those suburbs won't do it.

In your 20's, if you're not looking at kids anytime soon, try the West Village or Uptown area. It's walkable, lots of shops and tons of young, educated professionals, students and medical/dental type.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You would not take the George Bush to Garland -- but use it to access other freeways
That's how I get from Grapevine to Garland since it is the fastest route. I only use 635 if I am going to south Garland/Mesquite.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
George Bush to Garland from Flower Mound would be fine in the mornings. It's going the other way that's jammed up.

And from Flower Mound, it's just down 1171 to get to Westlake.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
If you are looking for a cute walkable downtown area, I don't think you will care for Flower Mound. It is a great community, but very family oriented with lots of soccer-moms, kid events, etc. May not be what you are looking for.

Hard recommendation with Westlake and Garland as possible work locations. I think one of you will have a sucky commute. If you like Grapevine, it will probably work if you just avoid the bar-type restaurants that still allow smoking.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas