Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM

60 posts, read 127,724 times

Advertisements

Since my lasts posts, I have seen several new food trucks pop up...has anyone tried them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Ruthie's Rollin' Cafe is tasty:

We're Movin' and Groovin' Around DFW! - Ruthie's Rolling Cafe

Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
I like Nammi best - they do something more unique and they do it better than the Vietnamese restos do.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Default Finally ready to make the move from MI

As many of you may know, the economy in Michigan is depressing. After nearly a year of deciding where to relo - I have decided on Dallas. From all reports, research, personal interviews from locals, and these forums, Dallas seems to be booming financially. And since my mother is approaching senior citizen age, it appears as though the senior resources here are plentiful and not hard to find. I am planning a scouting visit before the end of the year and hoped to be moved shortly after.

My goal is to work solely as a personal chef once I move there (for those not familiar with that look at Moderator cut: self-advertisement not permitted to give you an idea of what they do and price structure). I know my pricing structure would have to change to reflect the market there. One thing I have yet to determine is cusine that is indicative of Dallas - would I be correct in thinking Tex-Mex or is that way off? Any advice you have on the culinary scene would be helpful (I think this would be hard for me to determine 100% from a brief visit) It seems like it would be fairly easy here to supplement weekly income with intimate dinner parties. How easy/hard do you think it would be to break into that market here??

My boyfriend may be moving there prior to myself and works as a school teacher and moonlights as a music producer - any insight on these 2 industries? He has not been able to find a teaching job in MI for nearly 2 yrs and he is a high school math teacher with several degrees under his belt.

Based on my research so far, I think I will be somewhere closer to Keller.
I can't wait to get there and immerse myself into the culture and cuisines that Dallas has to offer.

Any tips, info, resources, or blurbs you wanna throw out based on what (I think) I know about the area would be appreciated.

Thanks again - you all are always so helpful.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-20-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
You don't have to confine yourself to Tex-Mex. North Texas is much broader than that. Dallas and Houston have gotten some buzz in recent years for their food scenes which I suppose was why "Top Chef" filmed a season here not long ago. Check out some of the local food blogs like: Eater Dallas : The Dallas Restaurant, Bar, and Nightlife Blog or Dallas Restaurants, Dallas Food, News, and Reviews by D Magazine Editors | SideDish | D Magazine to get an idea of what food people here are talking about and interested in.

Some of the most acclaimed restaurants of recent years -- Lucia, Tei An, Bolsa -- are not Tex-Mex. And if you look at Eater's essential 38 restaurants in DFW, a few are Tex-Mex or BBQ but certainly not all.
The 38 Essential Dallas Restaurants, July 2012 - Eater 38 - Eater Dallas

Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Considering the influx of residents from the east and west coasts, I would suggest a fish specialty with a Mexican ambiance. A blend of both coasts, centered on Texas flavor. Your market across the northern tier of DFW 'burbs, and some near subs.

Mesquite braised Salmon

Visit Eatzi's in Oak Lawn

Last edited by Willsson; 08-19-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Wow thanks alot - this is most helpful!!

Anyone else want to chime in?? Keep the info coming!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Thanks Moderator for moving this - I knew I had posted in the Dallas forums before but could not find it for the life of me...then I really thought alzheimers was setting in and started doubting myself!! Had posted in so many states trying to narrow it down... thanks again! You guys rock!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMove2? View Post
Wow thanks alot - this is most helpful!!

Anyone else want to chime in?? Keep the info coming!

For sure don't limit yourself to Tex-Mex or concentrate solely in it. Tex-Mex is great, but there are an abundance of restaurants, etc that do that. In the DFW (metroplex) area a lot of people are health/organic-source conscious and real Mexican food w/ fresh veg's, fruit and meats are the new "it".

If you have "it" they will come. And great flavor/food/sourcing will draw them out in droves. DFW is pretty image conscious, but if they can get their fill and keep it within reason dietary wise it will be very popular.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Have you looked at a couple of people who are doing private chef driven dinners?
Chef DAT - Underground Dinner, Food, Events, Dining, Dallas, Honolulu, New Orleans
http://chefnicoledallas.com/3015.html

I haven't attended either, but from what I've read, they are part of the entertainment. Their menus are unique and not usually something you can find in a typical restaurant setting.

I can tell you we have a thriving food scene in Dallas. Not sure about Keller, though. I think it's a burb surrounding Ft Worth. Do you know who your customer would be out there? How would you let them know about your services?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas