Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,869 times

Advertisements

Hi..we are new to Texas, and live in Prosper...love it....But we may have an opportunity to buy a newer home on acreage in Celina..We can not afford to do that in Prosper, it is too expensive.

BUT i want to know about the schools there...i asked at baseball tonight and granted they are all Prosper Eagles...but i heard from them..

If you want your kids to play Sports, go to Celina.

If you want an education, go to Prosper.

The house would be too far out for me to ask for a transfer to Prosper, drive wise for me.

And i do not know if i could do the home school thing..

Any thoughts GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 21,187 times
CravenClan
What the people from Prosper told you is true. I have never seen a school care so little about education and so much about sports. Gunter focuses on academics too.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Drugs are bad here too.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:40 PM

Finally...I thought I'd never get a reply....haha

I have not decided yet, i have talked to ALOT of people, and i get mixed, about half and half, saying both good and bad things..i will revisit the school on Monday or Tuesday. Our kids are still very young, 6 & 7, and we have a 3 yol.

While i LOVE the house and country setting, i also know you "have to give" a little if you want to be out away from it all...I just don't know if i am willing to "give" on the education of my kids...I guess coming from California, where the state is broke and you get absolutley NOTHING in public school, even a small district like Celina has more to offer....

Old 05-06-2010, 09:41 PM

BTW what type of drugs?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 PM

I've worked with students from the 3 school systems Prosper, Celina and Gunter. Prosper and Gunter are superior hands down.
Lots of pot and there are Meth cookers in town that the police watch and are trying to catch. A friend has had problems with their kids getting hold of drugs at school.
Kids that don't participate in football are looked down on.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:32 AM

After your post, i looked into Gunter last night, I am driving out there this morning to look around.

I can move to Celina and keep my kids in Prosper school, i would just have to drive them..which is no that big of a deal, it really is not that far..but i have to ask myself, do i a) want to do that for the next 10-13 years that my kids are still in school? b) live in a town and not really "live" in it, by going to another town for schooling?

How far are the Gunter schools from the Celina HS? Would that be a better transfer (if allowed) than going to Prosper? Also Gunter is REALLY small, are "outsiders" looked down upon?

Funny when i went into the ES in Celina, the lady at the front was not "overly" friendly...(she probably assumed i was crappy) then once i started talking to her, she realized i was pretty normal, then she was fine...I am a NATIVE Californian, nto one of the many who move there from somewhere else, and claim to be a native..While i Love California, after being here, i definately do not miss the people!! or the taxes, the car registration, high price of everything...and the list could go on and on...

Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM

I don't think you could transfer to Gunter from Celina it crosses county lines. Grayson county has lower property taxes than Collin county. I don't know how they react to outsiders, but all the people I have meet from there are really nice.
I am a tranplant too . I'm from Mississippi and people are suprised I'm literate. It was a lot cheaper living in Mississippi, but my husbands job brought us here. You make the best of where ever you happen to live.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info.

We are self employed and we CHOSE to come here...We wanted a better place to raise our kids...and i really like it here!!

Thanks for the info on Gunter, being in a different county..i did go out there this morning, it is a little far though...Pretty but i think too far for me.

I will keep trying to decide..this is very hard, only because my kids and i have adjusted EXTREMELY well, here, they LOVE the school and i have already more friends here, in 3 months than i had in 20+ years in California!!

Thank You for your input though..the drug thing really concerns me, i know in smaller towns, there sometimes is not alot to do, therefor, drug use is a little more prevelant..

Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Hope I was helpful. Good luck and I hope everything works out for the very best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas