Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I have recently finished my Masters degree and accepted a job in McKinney, TX. I am not particularly familiar with the Dallas area, but I am thinking about living closer into the city and commuting out to McKinney. I have heard that Uptown is a good area, but I am concerned about the apartment prices (I'd like to stay under $800/month, 1 bedroom) and the long commute/traffic. Does anyone have any thoughts about young professionals living in the Addison, North Dallas, Richardson, or Plano areas? Ideally I would like to be in an area with many other people my age, near nightlife, shopping etc, but have still a reasonable commute to McKinney. Also, as a single female, safety is a primary concern.
Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,680 times
Hello,
Instead of trying to drive each day all the way from uptown Dallas to Mckinney or vice versa.
You may consider North Dallas or Richardson, IMO would suggest looking around the High Five area.
This would be a central area to commute to Addison, Plano: Legacy, Dallas: Greenville Ave, Deep Ellum, Uptown, or West to Las Colinas or even eastbound towards Garland and Mesquite for your entertainment needs. There were some nice condo's around the TI complex at 635 at 75 (*note: see forum entry" Are these apartments or condos 8-30-2012).

But of course be careful of any location you choose and ensure of your safety needs first.

Good Luck to You

Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acleon27 View Post
Hi all!
I have recently finished my Masters degree and accepted a job in McKinney, TX. I am not particularly familiar with the Dallas area, but I am thinking about living closer into the city and commuting out to McKinney. I have heard that Uptown is a good area, but I am concerned about the apartment prices (I'd like to stay under $800/month, 1 bedroom) and the long commute/traffic. Does anyone have any thoughts about young professionals living in the Addison, North Dallas, Richardson, or Plano areas? Ideally I would like to be in an area with many other people my age, near nightlife, shopping etc, but have still a reasonable commute to McKinney. Also, as a single female, safety is a primary concern.
Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!
Uptown is great but it's really not realistic for a daily drive to McKinney....especially if you're on a budget, the $200-250/mo in gas to JUST commute will kill you!

I also wouldn't live in Addison b/c you have to cut east/west which will add time to your drive. Try to stay along the 75 corridor - maybe there is something in Richardson @ George Bush/75 or near downtown Plano? Maybe some of the complexes along Frankford Road west of 75 and south of Bush like the AMLI @ Coit? There are a lot of younger people there due to UT-D (big grad school population) and it's kind of mid-point between Uptown and McKinney (about 25-30 min to each).

You could also look at Austin Ranch or Shops @ Legacy on the Plano/Frisco border. It's pretty much as straight shot on the 121 tollroad to get to McKinney, then a short drive north on 75 (prob 20-25 minutes).

I usually tell everyone to live in Uptown or the Village apartments but McKinney is just too long a drive and 75 is pretty congested both directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas