Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Artsy, wherever you go, you seem to find a way to have the worst possible experience. It's kind of hilarious in a sad way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 AM

85 posts, read 202,306 times
I've lived in Plano and Richardson, both of those areas seem to be fairly gay-friendly. I'd definitely say the closer you get to Dallas proper the better it will get. I've had gay friends live in Garland and they seemed to have no troubles.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
And you seem to have problems analyzing situations. Situations comprise of innumerable amounts of people and attitudes.

Also, I stated that Dallas and Addison are great places for progressive people. Deep Ellum, Oaklawn, Addison Circle, Far North Dallas, East Dallas, and even some areas of Richardson, Frisco, Lewisville, etc. are very friendly places for anyone.

Denton is a country hick town with some pockets of redneck liberalism. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Artsy, wherever you go, you seem to find a way to have the worst possible experience. It's kind of hilarious in a sad way.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM

Ok, Eeyore.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
You are lying. Because being gay in Texas was illegal ; a criminal offense punishable by arrest and imprisonment in the 1980s. So I don't believe a word you say.

When I was in Denton there were several large groups of UNT students who attended Denton Bible Church and Mormon churches and they were outwardly against gays and lesbians and believed it to be a sin. It did not mean they were roaming the streets looking to beat up gays; it just meant they weren't going to befriend gay or lesbians unless they repented from their sinning. And if you do the research Denton Bible Church has grown since 1980 and it has a huge college aged congregation of about 2,000 and it is a Calvinistic church. So there is nothing that I'm saying that is untrue. It is reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

PLEASE! I had gay professors, a gay dean and there were PLENTY of gay students. HECK, saw PLENTY of them displaying WAY TOO MUCH PDA (and it would have been way too much for a straight couple as well). I sat in plenty of classes thru my years there and not one time did I witness any gay bashing from anyone. And this was in the 1980's. Maybe it's changed since then but even back then it was not that big of a deal.

I never once had any type of encounter with someone from Denton Bible (and I even had a cousin that went to church there back then).

Then there was my time spent at TWU. Geez........ Need I need to explain what all went on over there and NO ONE got harrassed.

No, Denton is not cosmopolitan or forward in the least but it's not a gay bashers paradise either.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are lying. Because being gay in Texas was illegal ; a criminal offense punishable by arrest and imprisonment in the 1980s. I don't believe a word you say.
Well for that matter it was illegal until June 26 2003 when the Supreme Court ruled in Lawrence V Texas, but not all of Texas was a hotbed of Homophobia until that date. Seems like going out on a limb a bit to say someone is lying about their experience. Mom didn't say nothing ever happened. She said she never witnessed it. When you were there your experience was different. When I was there for a semester in the early 90's it seemed quite accepting of the gay students I knew. Everyone can only speak from their own experience. You might believe her to be wrong, but there is a huge leap to suggest she is lying. What possible reason do you have to think so? What possible reason would she have to lie?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM

I had an ex who went to UNT ('92-96) and said it was great for 'alternatives' of all kinds.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:

You've noticed that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are lying. Because being gay in Texas was illegal ; a criminal offense punishable by arrest and imprisonment in the 1980s. So I don't believe a word you say.
I have NO REASON to lie whatsoever. I was IN Denton from 1983-1985 and then again from 1988-1991. I NEVER ONCE saw anyone gay bash, talk bad about or harrass anyone that was gay/lesbian ONCE. I DID see PLENTY of public PDA from gays and NO ONE BOTHERED THEM! I had several gay professors, the dean over the Arts Dept was gay for heavens sake. I was IN the ARTS! I was also in the Industrial Tech department at UNT and trust me......... there were PLENTY of gay students that had to be in the ITech building for classes. And not one single person bothered them. WE all hung out together. One of my favorite professors in the ITech area was gay (AWESOME GUY!) and he was a Parkie. There was only one time I had issue w/ someone and he happened to be gay but it had NOTHING to do w/ him being gay..... it was his methods of "teaching" that not only I but by the end of the semester just about every single student he had in his class was disgutsted with him and he could have been straight and I'd still have issue w/ him. Thank goodness he was only covering for a prof that was taking a sabatical. I don't think the dean could have handled all of us in his office complaining about him for another semester, lol.

Fine, don't believe me. You are only hurting yourself by not opening your own eyes and realizing that the alternate lifestyle in Denton has been around for a LOOOOOOONG time. Much longer than you have been alive, that's for sure. I went to TWU for heavens sake......... if you ONLY KNEW what went on there even in the 1970's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Well for that matter it was illegal until June 26 2003 when the Supreme Court ruled in Lawrence V Texas, but not all of Texas was a hotbed of Homophobia until that date. Seems like going out on a limb a bit to say someone is lying about their experience. Mom didn't say nothing ever happened. She said she never witnessed it. When you were there your experience was different. When I was there for a semester in the early 90's it seemed quite accepting of the gay students I knew. Everyone can only speak from their own experience. You might believe her to be wrong, but there is a huge leap to suggest she is lying. What possible reason do you have to think so? What possible reason would she have to lie?
Quote:
I had an ex who went to UNT ('92-96) and said it was great for 'alternatives' of all kinds.
I have no reason to lie. I know what I saw and know how it was when I was there.

The only issue I ever had, and I was not alone in this, from some of the local townspeople was when we wrote checks at Vortman's. I lived in Carrollton and my checks all had my parents Carrollton address on them even though I was in a dorm up in Denton. Drivers license had the Carrollton address as well. I'd write a check and they every single time would ask for my "local address". UH! Carrollton is what......... 20 miles down the road. The dorm address was not good enough Cracked me up and you'd think that them working in the COLLEGE BOOK STORE they would realize that the kids are going to have checks and DL's with addresses NOT IN DENTON

I won't even bring up the lovely (cough-cough) highway entrance/exit ramps. UGH! You'd think they could make them shorter

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
It was. I was up there starting in 1983 and it was very accepting even then. One saw EVERYTHING up there........ even the word "alternative" is too limited to what all I saw. LOL!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
if you ONLY KNEW what went on there even in the 1970's
ROFL! No kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas