Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:38 PM

247 posts, read 737,535 times

Advertisements

I am interested finding a neighborhood in Denton County, Mckinney or Frisco that is warm, friendly, interactive and full of toddlers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 PM

I guess the resounding silence means I am not likely to find a combination of toddler density and warm, friendly neighbors in any of these areas.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
It's a tough question. Toddler population can vary street by street. In addition, people in those areas - Frisco, McKinney - can be pretty transient. So, the toddler population could change year by year, go up and down. There are a lot of young families in Collin and Denton counties. But you can go over to the Frisco Online website and ask folks if there are kids on their street and some will say, yes, tons and others will say, nope, there are none. Or one end of the street will have kids and the other end won't. Or there are kids, but they are the wrong ages. Or there are kids, but they don't socialize.

Frisco and McKinney are very kid-centric areas. (I don't know if that's true for Denton.) But in Frisco and McKinney there are a lot of kid activities, kid classes, preschools have waiting lists by Feb. for the following Sept start dates, etc. But, I don't know about zeroing in on a toddler neighborhood. You might ask on the Frisco or McKinney websites.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
I guess the resounding silence means I am not likely to find a combination of toddler density and warm, friendly neighbors in any of these areas.
I wouldn't say that at all. I don't live there, but I believe both Frisco and McKinney are positively swarming with young families and agree completely with FarNorthDallas about how kid-centric it tends to be. I certainly cannot vouch that there's an abundance of toddlers, specifically toddlers, in any given neighborhood on any given street and wonder if you do find some stats how accurate they'd actually be as, after all, toddlers don't stay toddlers too long. But I believe when some residents chime in, you'll find that Frisco and McKinney have many family oriented areas and that there's plenty of activities, church programs, neighborhood groups etc., to accommodate the needs of young parents. Just when I'm up there I can say, not being a parent, I'm quite intimidated by the amount of stroller traffic I encounter!

As far as warmth and friendliness goes, I find that's debatable and of course, pretty subjective. More than likely current residents of the area will say it's very friendly and even non-residents wouldn't venture to say it's ever downright unfriendly. My opinions may be different but all in all, Texas, as a whole, is considered a very friendly place. I figure that as a rule, families prefer to socialize with other families of similar lifestyle and income, and that, IMO, is no more acute than *some* areas of the northern burbs, but again, that's arguable. My impressions of the area may not be as inviting because I prefer older, very diverse areas.

Last edited by kacvb1974; 07-27-2008 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,095 times
Frisco is a very frisky place judging by all the kids I see at the mall and around town.

I'd look for a neighborhood with a strong HOA that has a well-built pool friendly for kids - ie shaded kiddy pools, then buy a home there.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:08 AM

Very good points. Thank you. Before I had my toddler I lived in the M-Streets and it seemed like there was a toddler or a family with a baby everywhere I looked. The M-Streets were also very friendly and neighbors visited with each other on a daily basis. (small town friendly) If someone were to pose the question I have asked but specified Dallas I could answer, "the M-Streets" as a result of having observed the make up and atmosphere in my previous neighborhood. I was hoping that someone in Frisco, Denton County or McKinney could offer a similar observation about their own neighborhood. To get a bigger house and yard I moved to a neighborhood that I unfortunately discovered had mostly older children and neighbors that really like their privacy. I wish that I had gotten some recommendations on specific neighborhoods before buying.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 PM

10 posts, read 29,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
I am interested finding a neighborhood in Denton County, Mckinney or Frisco that is warm, friendly, interactive and full of toddlers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

****Hello, I don't have the answer for you but could suggest a website where there are plenty of Mothers....it is CAFEMOM.COM....there is a group of N. Dallas Moms and plenty more...they could be more specific to your needs.
JT

Old 07-28-2008, 12:34 PM

493 posts, read 1,762,652 times
Some of the HOAs have good websites with photos of social events like Halloween, July 4th etc. You will be able to tell from that whether there are many kids around.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 PM

Great suggestions I appreciate the input.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 PM

172 posts, read 559,519 times
My brother and his wife live in Stonebridge Ranch in McKinney. They have 3 children under 6. They love it, evidently just about every other house on their street has at least 2 youngish children. They are constantly busy and rarely leave their area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas