Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 13,351 times

Advertisements

My family and I have just moved to the DFW area and are now looking for a home.

One of the areas we have looked at is the Wellington subdivision in Flower Mound. Seems to be reasonably priced and has a good family feel to it. One area of concern we have come across as we have researched the subdivision is a potential high rate of luekemia in the area due to the natural gas drilling near by. Needless to say, this concerns us a bit. What is the reputation of this subdivision in the area? Natural gas drilling seems to occur very close to the subdivision and several other subdivisions in the area.

I see where in January '10 some studies were initiated in the area but I'm having trouble finding the results. Were the results ever released? Talking to a few realtors we're getting mixed signals if this is a real issue or not.

Being new to the area, any input from locals would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.F.W View Post
My family and I have just moved to the DFW area and are now looking for a home.

One of the areas we have looked at is the Wellington subdivision in Flower Mound. Seems to be reasonably priced and has a good family feel to it. One area of concern we have come across as we have researched the subdivision is a potential high rate of luekemia in the area due to the natural gas drilling near by. Needless to say, this concerns us a bit. What is the reputation of this subdivision in the area? Natural gas drilling seems to occur very close to the subdivision and several other subdivisions in the area.

I see where in January '10 some studies were initiated in the area but I'm having trouble finding the results. Were the results ever released? Talking to a few realtors we're getting mixed signals if this is a real issue or not.

Being new to the area, any input from locals would be appreciated.
Where did you find Leukemia rates being higher in the area? We've looked in FM, and I have done some background on the gas drilling, but hadn't heard that. Still considering FM, like it alot but not crazy about this aspect either.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 PM

I was able to find several articles around the January 2010 timeframe but not much since then. We love the area as well but the natural gas issue is making us think twice.

Here is one...
Another Flower Mound family talks of fight for answers over child's leukemia | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
Quote:
I was able to find several articles around the January 2010 timeframe but not much since then.
I am surprised you mentioned researching and posted something but couldn't find the results? There are several result returns but here is one for your ready reference after Jan 2010.

Analysis of Cancer in Flower Mound Finds No Evidence of Cluster.

Wellington is a very reputed and one of the most sought after master planned community in DFW area with access to some top notch schools in the nation.
I live in Wellington and love it here. Flower Mound has the strongest ordinances in US with setbacks multiple times compared to other cities. Flower Mound has very few gas wells compared to some other cities and these are highly regulated unlike other cities. I think you are unduly concerned and running a scare. If you are that concerned you shouldn't have moved to DFW area at all because you might get sick while driving or filling gas or living near populated areas. Do a little research on the air quality and you'll find that DFW has one of the worst air quality in the nation.
Drilling in happening in Coppell, DFW airport, Southlake, Grapevine, Colleyville, Arlington,Fort Worth to name a few. Fort Worth has 1500+ gas wells and a lot of them since late nineties. Will you move to non drilling areas like Plano, Frisco, Allen, Castle Hills, Highland Park, Lakewood ? Have you researched the impact on health due to auto emissions and other emissions sources due to high population density, retail, nearby highways and other industries? Do you know the air quality you will be breathing in these cities are better than the others?

DM me any of your concerns and I'll be glad to provide you information on Wellington and Air quality in DFW cities.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
If you don't care for oil or gas wells, don't come to Texas. Man, I wish my house was sitting on one.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:24 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
You guys are brutal..Remember this person and lots of others like them have NO experience with things like this. Not a reason to make them feel like they shouldn't come here.

Families, particularly Mothers of children have every right to be worried and protective of their families. The information on the internet isn't exactly always going to make a person feel better, so lets try and help.

I would suggest starting with the town and ask the about the drilling map they have. I think it's basically an overlay of place where there are drills or drills are allowed.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
The information on the internet isn't exactly always going to make a person feel better, so lets try and help.
Well said. Internet or any news should be taken with a grain of salt. Flower Mound residents are very vocal on environment and maintaining quality of life. Their bar on ordinances on permitting retail/ industrial/ residence is much higher than other Towns. Sometime businesses get frustrated due to their strong ordinances and controls to retain town's character. It has an affluent highly educated, middle and upper class population.

DFW, please ask about the air quality, maps..etc from the Town as skid929 suggested. I'll be glad to help if you have any more questions.

BTW, Wellington of Flower Mound is huge and consists of 2300 homes spanning across different sub-divisions. There is NO drilling inside Wellington and and not even close as you mention. Wellington HOA is very strict about permitting anything inside and anything that goes around its sub-divisions. There was an open land inside Wellington for years and they didn't permit any retail on it. You could see horses grazing there. They just let a new housing units (the only land left) for zoning request with houses starting at 400K plus. I am so glad they went for housing instead of retail.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Come hard or go home....thanks for the link adixyz. That's what I was looking for (it's tough doing research on an iPhone in a temporary apartment). Not surprisingly the results didn't get as much news coverage as the beginning of the testing. All areas have their risks, we're just trying to get as much information as we can.

In regards to air quality, after living in California and being over to Asia numerous times I'll take the air quality here any day of the week.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
In regards to air quality, after living in California and being over to Asia numerous times I'll take the air quality here any day of the week.
FYI, California ozone is worse than DFW.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 AM

By here I did mean the DFW area. We just came from the LA area.

Like I said, all areas have their own risks. Just looking for some help from informed residents just like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas